Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Want to Find Aliens?

Persia

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• scowl

• Space Commander Travis

• DONTEATUS

It makes perfect sense to me, who knows what varied forms of life have occurred under far different conditions to our own planet.

Makes perfect sense indeed, if you think about the possibility of Silicon base life form, instead of carbon like us(per example).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yGoab3duYY

All known life on Earth is built upon carbon and carbon-based compounds. Yet the possibility has been discussed that life elsewhere may have a different chemical foundation – one based on the element silicon.

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/S/siliconlife.html

but for silicon based life form to breath oxygen is a little problem, maybe they would breath something like sulfur instead.

Edited by Bildr

Like some on said on the link comments; "I just hope we can find Humans on earth first... have you seen any, lately?"

We should think about finding our own humanity and caring of our life here on earth before looking for somewhere else...

Science fiction writers have suggested this for years.

But that isn't anything new, either.

Is this not exactly what we have been contemplating for years? I thought we were trying to get something together to burrow into Europa.

Is this not exactly what we have been contemplating for years? I thought we were trying to get something together to burrow into Europa.

Indeed so.

Testing a Europa Probe Prototype

Just one example and I am sure there are even olde articles around.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Not to trample on anyone's parade, but if silicon based life is as slow as it is suggested in that video above, would we really call that "life"?

Indeed so.

Testing a Europa Probe Prototype

Just one example and I am sure there are even olde articles around.

Cheers,

Badeskov

As long as they remember to put a Aluminum Tin Foil hat on it this time ! THe Mars Rovers scared all the Martians underground ! When we splash down onto Europa we need to be incognito !

Have a Great Thanksgiving smelt,Borst or what ever you like for Thanksgiving Bad`s justDONTEATUS :w00t:

As long as they remember to put a Aluminum Tin Foil hat on it this time ! THe Mars Rovers scared all the Martians underground ! When we splash down onto Europa we need to be incognito !

Have a Great Thanksgiving smelt,Borst or what ever you like for Thanksgiving Bad`s justDONTEATUS :w00t:

Oh, I am gonna have a big, fat turkey full of stuffing with all the side dishes and lots of gravy in the best US tradition :blush: I can't, however, even begin to fathom what you will be conjuring up in your FTL capable smoker....:P

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, albeit I am sure I will be around on Thursday to say the same :)

Cheers,

Badeskov

Like scientists said if there life out there, you don`nt want to know in what forms:) all I remember is that movie Starship Troopers ,a bug with a brain!!!

Like scientists said if there life out there, you don`nt want to know in what forms:) all I remember is that movie Starship Troopers ,a bug with a brain!!!

That was just a movie. Considering out pool of one, it seems highly likely that our model of a bipedal creature with opposable thumbs is a design that will assit the climb to intelligence. Therefore I suspect most Intelligent Aliens will look somewhat similar to us. As with convergent evolution on our own planet, whereby we saw Marsupials that look just like canines, I feel our model is likely to lead to success in other environments as well.

Of course for life, that parameter is fairly open.

Sure there will be life on planets unlike Earth. However with what we know and with the limited resources don't you think it's more practical to work with what we know?

Intelligent Aliens might not live on planets, anymore, at all (but, have become completely "space adapted", living in artificial superior-to-planets space habitats)

There's no reason to speculate about other strange life forms. We'll know life when (and if) we ever see it.

We're not excluding planets.

One problem is that if the alien life is different enough, we might not recognise it as being intelligent: we've been debating the intelligence of dolphins for 65 years without coming to a conclusion, for instance, and them we can lay hands on!

That's why I've said for years that SETI should be looking for alien radar signals. Radar's too useful not to be exploited by anyone who's discovered it, a water-oxygen atmosphere dictates its frequency parameters, and the very high-powered and directional beams should carry well. We may miss the more alien technologies this way, but if we discover a 3Ghz pulse-modulated signal with a 400 pulse-per-second pulse recurrence frequency and a ten-second recurrence rate coming out of a distant planetary system, we'll have a pretty good idea of what we're looking at.

RADAR won't travel that far. The standard airport Watchman will give you about 60 miles. Ultra low frequencies will travel a lot further. However any signal producing equipment would have to be based in orbit if you wanted some form of space RADAR since high frequency waves will be massively attenuated by the atmosphere and low frequency waves tend to bounce off the ionosphere and back down to Earth.

In order for us to detect a radio wave from another planet, that planet must have deliberately sent it our way, since anything else will just appear as random spikes in the spectrum. No way is anyone on a distant world sitting down to watch Hitler's broadcasts.

Anyway - aren't we already starting to look for life in all kinds of places? 20 years ago no one would have given Europa a second thought but now the subsurface ocean theory seems to be the strongest.

Edited by Robbo

Even if we find life i doubt it would walk on 2 or 4 legs i doubt it would even walk. If there was any intelligent life in our solar system they would already came here to say hello, because we are about to discover them and we just started with some brave space travel plans and concepts.. So 2 options, first they are hiding from some unknown reason second they arent intelligent at all, bacterias or some other sort of micro organisms.

It makes perfect sense to me, who knows what varied forms of life have occurred under far different conditions to our own planet.

since when was weather capable of creating genetic information? lol

since when was weather capable of creating genetic information? lol

I did not mention the word "weather" once :sleepy:

Even if we find life i doubt it would walk on 2 or 4 legs i doubt it would even walk.

So, like, how would it get around?

If there was any intelligent life in our solar system they would already came here to say hello, because we are about to discover them and we just started with some brave space travel plans and concepts..

We've already proved beyond any doubt that there is intelligent life on a planet in our solar system.

Even if we find life i doubt it would walk on 2 or 4 legs i doubt it would even walk. If there was any intelligent life in our solar system they would already came here to say hello, because we are about to discover them and we just started with some brave space travel plans and concepts.. So 2 options, first they are hiding from some unknown reason second they arent intelligent at all, bacterias or some other sort of micro organisms.

How could something that cannot walk kick off an Industrial Revolution?