Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What the heck is a dogman?

Disembodied Voice

Lately I have seen the word dogman randomly appearing in forums. I've looked on the internet for dogman but didn't get any good information or got very little. I just want to know more...I don't get it. What's the difference between a dogman and a werewolf? And I also read in a post the word "dogman chatter" what is that? I couldn't find anything about that on the web. The websites I found all have very little information. So, what's the deal with the "dogman"? Also, any websites with more information you know of feel free to let me know. I don't believe in werewolves or anything I just find Myths and Legends VERY interesting.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coffey

• NatureBoff

• Lilly

• Gumball

cant say i`ve heard of Dogman myself, dogwoman however is to be found on any given friday / saturday night at your local low end nightclub :innocent::innocent::innocent:

Edited by maca02

From what little I have heard or read... I think someone reported seeing something that resembled a person that had the head of a dog or wolf. It walked upright of course and all that.

All I know is that a major bit of "recorded documentation" was debunked:

Skip to 3:08 for the good stuff.

It is known as the "Gable film." The "creature" in this footage was actually a man wearing a ghillie suit. MonsterQuest's last episode featured the Michigan Dogman and the debunking of this false-but-eerie piece of the legend.

I've had girls say to me, "You're a dog, man." I'm not from Michigan though.

The Dogman is nothing more than a myth.

But since I don't want to be bashed by all the believers, I'm sharing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQVyxA3ROys

Like UFO_Monster said the Michigan video was just another hoax.

There's no credible stories about this "cryptid", sorry. But of course a lot of people really wants to believe in the paranormal, therefore the myth won't die anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Edited by JonathanVonErich

A dogman is essentially a werewolf, but they supposedly are not human and don't shapechange back into a human. They are supposed to be intellegent, but mostly act like an animal. They look like a larger then normal sized person covered in hair and with a dog like head.

Saint Christopher is sometimes shown with a dog head.

Saint_christopher_cynocephalus2.jpeg

Also see Cynocephaly

Also see Michigan Dogman

Edited by DieChecker

I thought a dogman was a 'hyrax-man-thing'. :unsure2:

Uh oh.... please don't get that guy started again. LOL

I've had girls say to me, "You're a dog, man." I'm not from Michigan though.

Oh, come one now! Don't bee too hard on yourself! LOL.

Uh oh.... please don't get that guy started again. LOL

I honestly thought the term 'dogman' originated from those hyrax-based discussions. :blush:

I honestly thought the term 'dogman' originated from those hyrax-based discussions. :blush:

The hyrax is a small furry critter that looks vaguely similar to a fat prarie-dog. I still can't think for the life of me where that guy picked up this little mammal's name for a dog-man monster, but yes, the hyrax guy did spout off a lot of dogman stuff, if I recall correctly.

Marco Polo was one of the first in literature to refer to the dog-headed men he encountered on his travels I think, this book is a good source of information The encyclopedia of vampires, werewolves, and other monsters By Rosemary Guiley. The hyrax connection is my personal contribution to the mystery, due to the good fit of the aggressive territorial behaviour and four front toes and three rear toed prints. Edited by tailormaneinafog

Hahaha, well played. :P

I've seen someone say 'posting this in dogman related sightings' on pretty much everything said but no idea what it is either :/

This video is a well known hoax,what a waste of youtube space. It's a guy in a suit, him and his son made the video using a modified ghillie suit.

Edited by mesuma

Hahaha, well played. :P

Guess it would be "well played" if I'd been playing. However, I honestly thought that was what "dogmen" were as I'd never heard of them in any other context.

Dogman comes from Michigan Dogman, one of the various types of anomalous hairy hominids. They're usually lumped in with the "outlandish" bigfoot sightings. If I'm not mistaken, Loren Coleman is the guy who really coined the Michigan Dogman namesake. Or at least his talking about allot of them was rather important to the movement. Hope I'm not mixing up Cryptozoologist names. The famed "Gable Film" shown here was a big sparker of media interest, but it wasn't the first, or the last sighting or the like. They're one of the more common non-ape bigfoot like things, and they've got allot of believers in the rather small area where they are so famous.

Often they involve a wolf or large dog running, then rising up onto its hind legs and continuing to move, in that manner. Quite a few of the sightings are almost certainly bears, and most research I've seen is pretty sure of that. There are also a few of the "weird" sightings as I mentioned earlier, such as these "dogmen" running through walls, or glowing. Basically though, dogman is a local-ish name for a specific type of phenomena. Like the Dover Demon, The Bunnyman of Fairfax, or even the Melon Heads.

Edited by WereScrib

Lately I have seen the word dogman randomly appearing in forums. I've looked on the internet for dogman but didn't get any good information or got very little. I just want to know more...I don't get it. What's the difference between a dogman and a werewolf? And I also read in a post the word "dogman chatter" what is that? I couldn't find anything about that on the web. The websites I found all have very little information. So, what's the deal with the "dogman"? Also, any websites with more information you know of feel free to let me know. I don't believe in werewolves or anything I just find Myths and Legends VERY interesting.

Linda S. Godfrey has appeared on the radio show Coast to Coast AM with George Noory numerous times. She's the Author of many books about Dogman sightings in Wisconsin. Numerous people in Wisconsin tell of seeing a wolf like creature with a large german shepard like head walking on it's hind legs. If i saw something like that, it would totally freak me out!!! The site WWW.BeastofBrayRoad.Com is her site. There was also a movie i think Sci-Fi channel made, based on this legend. It's creepy indeed.

Brilliant video, unfortunately, the gable film is a hoax - i watched a documentary where the video maker states that he made it scare his son (one filming) even had the suit in which he was wearing when he decided to make the movie, he then sold it at a yard sale & thats how it got recognised and became famous! my verdict is werwolf's are not real but i believe Bigfoot (totally irrelevant) is!