Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If your left hand/palm itches..

Disembodied Voice

Has anyone heard the left hand itch legend or superstition or whatever? If your left hand itches and you don't scratch it you supposedly will get money soon. I must admit I've tried it and it has worked a few times, I was kinda freaked out about it lol. Could be just coincidence though, or was it? lol. :P To this day I still don't scratch an itch on my left hand just in case, lol.

Also, when my husband was younger, he went to a bar with his parents. And sitting at the bar were two ladies. The first lady complained that her left hand itched really bad. The second lady told her not to scratch it and to go gamble. The first lady won 100 dollars that day!! Weird right? Anyway, has anyone else ever heard of this?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Disembodied Voice

• Beckys_Mom

• Paracelse

• jimmylives

Has anyone heard the left hand itch legend or superstition or whatever? If your left hand itches and you don't scratch it you supposedly will get money soon. I must admit I've tried it and it has worked a few times, I was kinda freaked out about it lol. Could be just coincidence though, or was it? lol. :P To this day I still don't scratch an itch on my left hand just in case, lol.

Also, when my husband was younger, he went to a bar with his parents. And sitting at the bar were two ladies. The first lady complained that her left hand itched really bad. The second lady told her not to scratch it and to go gamble. The first lady won 100 dollars that day!! Weird right? Anyway, has anyone else ever heard of this?

I've never heard of it, but I find it strange that your husband knew what the second lady managed to bring in as gambling winnings. Did he go along or something? Just seemed weird.

I don't know where this idea comes from; I'd like to have a firmer grasp of its origins.

Edited by Druidus-Logos

I've never heard of it, but I find it strange that your husband knew what the second lady managed to bring in as gambling winnings. Did he go along or something? Just seemed weird.

What do you mean? My husband wasn't with the ladies, they were strangers. He just overheard them talking.

I don't know about the not scratching part, but I have heard if your left hand itches it's a sign you're coming into some money. It's an old wives tale.

Yes, I have heard of this. I grew up surrounded by family members and friends who were very very superstitious. To this day, I will not scratch my left hand either if it gets itchy (which isn'[t that often)... you know.... just in case! I suppose that beliefs that are genuinely held hold truth for that individual. It may be a superstition, but it's a fun one :lol:

I should of read this before scratching my left hand.  It's been itching like crazy.lol<br>

What do you mean? My husband wasn't with the ladies, they were strangers. He just overheard them talking.

Well, you said the topic of the itch came up while they were sitting next to him. Then the second lady told her to go gamble. Wouldn't that imply that they'd go gamble somewhere and THEN bring in some money? I just don't see how your husband heard of the winnings, too, unless he knew the girls. Or unless the gambling had somehow happened prior to the itch.

Well, you said the topic of the itch came up while they were sitting next to him. Then the second lady told her to go gamble. Wouldn't that imply that they'd go gamble somewhere and THEN bring in some money? I just don't see how your husband heard of the winnings, too, unless he knew the girls. Or unless the gambling had somehow happened prior to the itch.

It was a bar that had of those lottery pull tab things.

I should of read this before scratching my left hand.  It's been itching like crazy.lol<br>

Me, too! I woke up scratching my left hand in my sleep. DAMN it!

Dam... After reading this, my left palm is itching like mad (it wont stop) Im trying so hard not to scratch it. Cant take my mind off the itching.......

Dam... After reading this, my left palm is itching like mad (it wont stop) Im trying so hard not to scratch it. Cant take my mind off the itching.......

this will take your mind off it

Aw really? You're NOT supposed to scratch it? That explains alot disgust.gif . I'll try it your way and we will see if I can at least seal that strange black hole in my wallet :P .

If the right palm and the right ankle itch it means that you will get money soon. If the left palm and the left ankle itch, expense and wasting of money or getting involved in debt expected.

In other interpretation, no matter which palm itches, the result is always getting rich or you will have material growth. However in some places to the "money-making" it is necessary to do certain practices i.e. you have to scratch your palm and to put it into your pocket or to spit :wacko: on your palm. Then you need to rub your palm on your hip or the itching palm you have to put on your head.

Aw really? You're NOT supposed to scratch it? That explains alot disgust.gif . I'll try it your way and we will see if I can at least seal that strange black hole in my wallet :P .

Well there is another saying :

when the going get tough the tough go shopping
that should perhaps be forgotten then the hole might simply disappear :P

If the right palm and the right ankle itch it means that you will get money soon. If the left palm and the left ankle itch, expense and wasting of money or getting involved in debt expected.

In other interpretation, no matter which palm itches, the result is always getting rich or you will have material growth. However in some places to the "money-making" it is necessary to do certain practices i.e. you have to scratch your palm and to put it into your pocket or to spit :wacko: on your palm. Then you need to rub your palm on your hip or the itching palm you have to put on your head.

That is kind of the way i heard it too. My Granny used to say, you take money with one hand and give it with the other. So if your taking hand was itchy you'll get money. The giving hand would lose you money. Only scratch the giving hand on your hip.

Haha, crazy superstitions.

How interesting that this superstition has almost the same or similar context on the other side of the world.

I wonder what is its origin?

My left hand has been itchy on and off and I scratch it.. Now I will wait and see if it itches again.. and try not to scratch it

I heard if your palm itches.. it is said to bring money.. But I never heard anyone say - Don't scratch it...

My left hand has been itchy on and off and I scratch it.. Now I will wait and see if it itches again.. and try not to scratch it

I heard if your palm itches.. it is said to bring money.. But I never heard anyone say - Don't scratch it...

If you scratch the itches the itch disappears and with it the money ... tssssss

If you scratch the itches the itch disappears and with it the money ... tssssss

Well.. I know that now lol... I will resist next time

That's interesting.......cause i had always been told when your left hand is itchy....to scratch it....not blood drawing material or anything like that....just rub or scratch gently......and thats what means money maybe coming your way :)

what about the feet? my left foot started to itch after i read this top and i srateched it.

I've heard the left hand itchy thing before.. Some versions say don't scratch it because it will make the money stop with the stopping of the itch, some versions say you must scratch it, because you are "scraping in" the money. There's some versions that say the itching means you are going to lose money instead of gain it. There's even a wives tale or two about it that has nothing to do with money, but rather the itching is the devil trying to do ill, and you need to put that hand to work to drive him away.

Wives tales are often fun and contradictory that way :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

man, my left palm is itching now! I gonna try not to scratch it see if i get money. Maybe i should go search between teh couch cushons.