Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]Walking Through Doorways Makes You Forget

Still Waters

Ever get up to retrieve something from another room only to completely forget what you needed after crossing the doorway?

You're not alone, and scientists think forgetful trips between rooms result from how our brains interpret spatial information.

Researchers already know that walking from one space to another makes people more likely to forget tasks when compared to others who don't make such a transition.Called "location-updating effect," the phenomenon also causes people transitioning between rooms (even virtual ones) to take more time while attempting to recall items from memory.

arrow3.gifRead more...

*click* ..ummmmm. . . . .(scroll up) ..... oya, .. sure, that makes perfect sense actually.

It used to happen to me when i was younger, but not any more! It does happen to the wife all the time though.

Well, there have been people saying that when playing Skyrim, they always forget what they're doing because they see something cool or beautiful and walk straight into the forest. Magnified version of this then? :D

This reminded me of what Bill Cosby said the memory problem was due to. He said that memory was connected to sitting. Go back to where you were sitting and you will remember what you were looking for. LOL!

Isn't it interesting that we have insight into the simple things like why we forget what we started looking for!

I would like to see us crack the language barrier between man and dolphins without contaminating them with our world views.

i forget lot of things when i play the xbox online jehhahha

Yep!! this happens to me often but my wife say's it's Getting old or having too much things on my mind.....

• 2 weeks later...

I will plan things to Google on my computer, then sit down in front of my computer and find myself unable to remember what I was going to research.

I always thought it was uncanny. Now we know why!

I usually go on youtube to look at something then get distracted by the recommended videos and completely forget why I'm there! Sometimes clicking back refreshes my memory but when it doesn't I get annoyed! :hmm:

i usually don't forget nothing, all of my time is organized in my mind i don't have organizer, i guess i trained my mind that way.

But i need time to remember someones name.

Remove every wall in your house.

Problem solved!

makes sense...but have you ever noticed that when engaged in a conversation and it abruptly stops, it is either 10 minutes till the hour or 10 minutes after the hour.

Walking into doors has its problems, too!

Archie Roach an Australian Aborigine who has many CDs wrote and sang a song named, "Walking into doors." It was about a physically abused woman. Sad content. Beautiful music! He has a nack for that combination.

arrow3.gifView:

Edited by encouraged

I like the fact that we as humans can construct items or structures that change the way our brain works. It can be used to our advantage. The environment does influence the mind and we can alter our environment.

Edited by ChristianWitch

• 1 year later...

Now that's creepy, it's the exact reason why I like being outside instead of indoors.

• Like 1

http://www.eurekaler...d-wtd111811.php

"Entering or exiting through a doorway serves as an 'event boundary' in the mind, which separates episodes of activity and files them away," Radvansky explains.

Funny how things like this are 'proven' by science, yet has been mentioned in books pertaining to dreams and astroplaning for eyars.

• Like 1

Funny how things like this are 'proven' by science, yet has been mentioned in books pertaining to dreams and astroplaning for eyars.

What you mean by that?

What you mean by that?

I read a book years ago on walking through doors while meditating and how each doot can give you an answer. If you could not open a door, you were not ready to learn or deal with that information. It has also been used by councellors as a visualization tool to get people to open up all their hidden fears or trauma.

• Like 1