Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Octopus walks on dry land! (video)

Still Waters

It's a creature that's so shy, scientists know little about its behavior in the wild.

But an Eastern Pacific Red Octopus outside San Francisco, California, was friendly enough that it hoisted itself from the water and walked about on dry land, much to the amazement of spectators who captured the entire thing on video.

'Where are you headed, dude?' the astonished cameraman asks as the slimy mollusc creeps through the seaweed next to a tide pool.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lady_Mercury

• Still Waters

• Helen of Annoy

• JGirl

One step closer to flying octopus.

flying_octopus_by_lolita_art.jpg

it's well known that octopuses do this, it's how they get around. It was probably just moving to another body of water (they move between tide pools)

Edited by B'Elanna

I wonder how much wildlife they stepped on and killed, to make this video of an octopus sliding into home....

'Octopuses in captivity actually escape their watery enclosures with alarming frequency,' according to an article in Orion Magazine.

'While on the move, they have been discovered on carpets, along bookshelves, in a teapot, and inside the aquarium tanks of other fish—upon whom they have usually been dining.'

while interesting to watch, not really all that unusual or incredible. these people need to get out more.

I love all these comments about how common this is. Not everyone lives along the coast.

i don't live along the coast and i know it.

- post removed -

Gotta love a sweet FAKE claim fail. Almost always spouted with such disdain. :lol:

edit - Oh, hey look, it's Octopus Head.

Gotta love a sweet FAKE claim fail. Almost always spouted with such disdain. :lol:

edit - Oh, hey look, it's Octopus Head.

Hatopus, actually :lol:

Which means I’m more closely related to Cthulhu than to late Paul the Octopus. You'd never guess that...

So, octopuses apparently can spend up to half an hour out the water. It may sound surprising for those who have never been to fishmarket and never saw poor fresh octopuses trying to crawl away, but it is far from fake.

I've seen canned octopus in the grocery store. It should have a warning - "intelligent being inside".

I thought this was a normal thing.. Wonder why it's featured on the front page of unexplained mysteries?

I've seen it happen last time I went to the beach, there was one hiding in a rock pool.. being curious I wanted to see it closer, so I slowly put a stick into the water to see what it'd do. It started lashing its tentacles at the stick, then a blue shimmer of colour went throughout its whole body repeatedly.

After about 30 seconds all of its tentacles latched onto the rocks and it pulled itself up out of the pool (like the scene in LOTR in front of the mines of Moria), looked at me very angrily with shimmering colour and then turned and walked off towards where the rocks meet the ocean. I was like :o

There extremely interesting and intelligent creatures.

I thought this was a normal thing.. Wonder why it's featured on the front page of unexplained mysteries?

I've seen it happen last time I went to the beach, there was one hiding in a rock pool.. being curious I wanted to see it closer, so I slowly put a stick into the water to see what it'd do. It started lashing its tentacles at the stick, then a blue shimmer of colour went throughout its whole body repeatedly.

After about 30 seconds all of its tentacles latched onto the rocks and it pulled itself up out of the pool (like the scene in LOTR in front of the mines of Moria), looked at me very angrily with shimmering colour and then turned and walked off towards where the rocks meet the ocean. I was like :o

There extremely interesting and intelligent creatures.

Yes they are extremely interesting and intelligent creatures, while I've seen this happen, many people haven't and as has been stated many don't live near or visit the coast very often - It's entertaining when there is such good and random footage. We wouldn't see this particular octopus doing it's thing if those people hadn't been there to film it and then share it.:yes:

I saw something like this happen before.

I thought the Octopus was enchanted by a wizard because I didn't know any better at the time.

I was 5 then.

I saw something like this happen before.

I thought the Octopus was enchanted by a wizard because I didn't know any better at the time.

I was 5 then.

Haha, love it!

Octopi in captivity are known for pushing the lids of tanks with their tentacles and walking across the floor. It's a common occurrence. Must be a lot of wizards out there :tu:

Good. alot of our octo-pals may come on land, get a job, pay taxes and contribute to society.

Good. alot of our octo-pals may come on land, get a job, pay taxes and contribute to society.

They should be able to multi-task anyhoo.

I love all these comments about how common this is. Not everyone lives along the coast.

I was born and brought up in a seaside town but I've never once seen a live Octopus. This video was highly interesting to me.