Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mexico acknowledges 2nd reference

Persia

MEXICO CITY — Mexico’s archaeology institute downplays theories that the ancient Mayas predicted some sort of apocalypse would occur in 2012, but on Thursday it acknowledged that a second reference to the date exists on a carved fragment found at a southern Mexico ruin site.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/americas/mexico-acknowledges-2nd-reference-in-mayan-fragments-to-2012-downplays-prophecies/2011/11/24/gIQAac0PtN_story.html

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sensible Logic

• jugoso

• Damrod

• libstaK

meh...this sounds to me like someone just scrambling to keep the 2012 hysteria alive and well...they prob gotta a 2012 survival gear supply website or something.

It has been discussed to points of nausea on these boards...there is no definitive proof that the interpretation and synchronizing with the Julian or Gregorian calendars is correct. There has been some "Oh thats close so it must be right" moments but nothing solid. The Mayans didn't predict anything...a cyclical calendar that seemingly ends practically demands you just keep turning the wheel... thus it begins anew....

I admit I have some fringe ideas about human capacity and perceptions of reality...I have read tons of what some might think reaaallllyyy boring material about psychiatry and psychology...how our brain works and how we understand things....I have also read tons of stuff on scientific anomalies...my personal main interest lies in resonance fields and tonal compositions and their possible (and somewhat proven)capacity to generate altered states of consciousness...but thats just me...(boring ain't I?)

Anywho....this is fulla-bulla...just someone scrambling to keep a dieing story alive for the sake of a buck...I almost bet that....

An interesting part of the story

But many, including Stuart, believe that the date on the Comalcalco brick could also correspond to similar historical dates in the past rather than being prophetic.

so there is no solid confirmation of a tie in with 2012.

You're citing The Daily Mail? Seriously? It's tough to get lower on the scale of reliable sources than that particular publication. It's infamous worldwide for deliberate encouragement of irrational fear.

meh...this sounds to me like someone just scrambling to keep the 2012 hysteria alive and well...they prob gotta a 2012 survival gear supply website or something.

It has been discussed to points of nausea on these boards...there is no definitive proof that the interpretation and synchronizing with the Julian or Gregorian calendars is correct. There has been some "Oh thats close so it must be right" moments but nothing solid. The Mayans didn't predict anything...a cyclical calendar that seemingly ends practically demands you just keep turning the wheel... thus it begins anew....

I admit I have some fringe ideas about human capacity and perceptions of reality...I have read tons of what some might think reaaallllyyy boring material about psychiatry and psychology...how our brain works and how we understand things....I have also read tons of stuff on scientific anomalies...my personal main interest lies in resonance fields and tonal compositions and their possible (and somewhat proven)capacity to generate altered states of consciousness...but thats just me...(boring ain't I?)

Anywho....this is fulla-bulla...just someone scrambling to keep a dieing story alive for the sake of a buck...I almost bet that....

:w00t::P Yes I agree "fulla-bulla"

Oh noes we are all Doomed!!! Right...

Amazing how many people are betting on a civilization's prognostic acumen where human bloodletting and sacrifice were practiced as idolatry.

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge now that the calender does not say 2012 and that the actual date was back in 2009 or something because our calender is different. I remember reading that and was sure it was fact.

When 2012 hits the fan they shall squeal "Oh no, we got it wrong. It's actually 2014 now".

As I mentioned earlier,................ I'm doomed in 2012, I will get a year older... should I shoot myself now that it's confirmed?

If the Mayans were such great predictors of the future, how come they couldn't save themselves?

If the Mayans were such great predictors of the future, how come they couldn't save themselves?

They are safe, they safe them self on a big spaceship and fly away to Mars and have a big colony and they are waiting for 2012 to come back and kill us all

palenque.jpg

They are coming...:o

Well once everyone synchronizes their clocks...maybe we'll have a moment....not.

This is just fluff to sell stuff to the weak minded...if you really look into how the calendar works and the "wheel" idea...well...it just rolls into the next cycle...turn the wheel and the cogs engage and bring in another cycle...

So what if it says "change" is coming...change might be good...it doesn't say that everything we know is ending...I would assume...from my interpretations...that it is "changing"...that is hugely different and might not be a bad thing.

I am all kinda game for change...I think we are heading in a bad direction and I hope we pull up and choose to move toward a different outcome...but that is just me....

Edited by Damrod

YAWN!!!!! Here we go again,I think the only reason the calender ended on 2012 is because they didn't get a chance to make another one because they were wiped out or something like that,They didn't get a chance to start because they thought they would be here now in this year and age and didn't want to waste another slab of rock to write on before it's time,they believed in going green :w00t: .

I can see why they tried to keep it a secret!

All this time I just thought it was the pyramid's "good until date" stamp.

Mars? Seems like it would be easier to hide out on the far side of the moon. Let's change the story to that as it is so much more believable.

Edited by encouraged

that because the person that does the calculation and wrote that had long gone.

the weird part is that, this person does not left his/her name, even though went through trouble to make sure the message is pass through generation to generation.

Edited by kobolds

I have just looked at my cute cat wall calendar for this year and was horrified to find that there are no dates on it past December 31st 2011. Working on the basis that, as no other dates follow (as with the Mayan calendar) I can safely assume that next year is not going to happen.

Mayans weren't trying to control the cycle of nature. Read up on this calendar.... it's not a cycle of prediction as much as a cyclical view of nature and life circumstances.

I love the part where they're like - [paraphrased with my own added humor] "oh there's nothing to worry about... the 2012 brick with the future tense was only mentioning that a Mayan God would descend from the sky. No big deal." HAHAH!

It's funny that with all the modern technology that meteorologists have, they still are not overly accurate with predicting the weather, but we accept that and even make jokes about their inaccuracy. Yet, we believe archeologists to be 100% accurate with their interpretations about cultures long since gone. With the Mayan calendar, we throw in some New Age prediction theories and people are absolutely convinced that 2012 is the end of the world, and they fully believe in the bible and Christian dogma and find loosely fitting comparisons to further convince themselves... go figure.

People it's just a calendar... get over it! There will always be a December 31st followed by a January 1st.

There would have been several more "Mayan calendars" to follow if they hadn't been wiped out by "God fearing, turn the other a** cheek, church going, murderous, idiots".

Edited by Swadwa

that because the person that does the calculation and wrote that had long gone.

the weird part is that, this person does not left his/her name, even though went through trouble to make sure the message is pass through generation to generation.

The Mayan calendar, like all calendars do not predict anything, they just mark the passage of a certain amount of time.

The Mayans never predicted anything for 2012. This is backed up by their modern day descendants.

The Mayan long count once thought to end in 2012 actually ends in 2220 according to more recent research.

The weird part is people would much rather believe the rags and fringe sites than the reality. You really need to ask yourself this question. If those saying the world is going to end in 2012 are right whay are they selling books and videos? I mean it's not like they are going to take it with them.

Spending most of his life calculating the calender, maybe the Mayan dude got bored and stopped. And thus, evrybody panics.

People it's just a calendar... get over it!

Our calendar is arguably the most important aspect of our life. Think about it.....Is there anyting that lmpacts your life greater than how we choose to measure time? A calendar is the dead.center of any civilization as there is a strong relationsohip between how pysical time is measured and how we experience psycholoical time and. Our consciousness is strongly attached to and effected by our calendar. There is no such thing as JUST a calendar. It defines every aspect of your life from your age to how you understand and orient yourself in your life and what is expected of you .