Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK Gov's treatment of Gurkhas'

Talon

Gurkhas' UK citizen bid reviewed

Many Ghurkas think UK citizenship is the least they deserve

Demands by up to 400 retired Gurkhas for British citizenship will form part of a review of the soldier's position, the government said.

The soldiers, from Nepal and based mainly in Kent, protested in Liverpool before meeting Home Office officials.

Despite having fought as part of the British Army for almost 200 years, they are barred from British citizenship.

The Home Office later said the soldier's concerns will "feed into" the policy review of their naturalisation.

However, many of the soldiers feel the Home Office is taking too long to consider the issue.

Some said they have been waiting for two years for citizenship applications to be processed, which they claim is preventing them getting jobs.

Public support

After the meeting Tikendradal Dewan, chair of the Brigade of Gurkhas Welfare Society, said the soldiers did not get an answer.

"It is very frustrating for all of us," he said. "We can't go home to visit our families in case they do not let us back in and we can't get the jobs we want."

The soldiers, who gathered at the Home Office's Immigration and Nationality Directorate in Water Street, were being supported by other ex-servicemen and members of the public.

Soldiers say getting a job is difficult without citizenship

During the demonstration many of the Gurkhas, most of whom had travelled from Folkestone, were dressed in their regimental tie and wore the medals they have won during their service, which can last up to 30 years.

The Home Office later said: "Officials from the MOD and the Home Office are reviewing the current policy on the naturalisation and settlement of Gurkhas," a spokesperson said.

"The information gathered [in Liverpool] will feed into the review currently being undertaken.

"We cannot comment further on the possible outcome of that review but we are working hard to resolve this situation."

The Gurkha regiment now has around 3,500 men.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/3616892.stm

I THINK I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY

At the moment I'm shouting and swearing and if I was writing it down then every second word would need editing out, so here's the family-friendly version;

Today I read that one of these men failed his asylum bid and was deported to Nepal within hours. I haven't got the article, I can't find it online, but I'm sure going to make my feelings on it felt!

The individual in question was 44-year-old Tej Bahadur Limbu, former medical sergeant of the Ghurkhas Brigade, who had served in the British army for 13 years. I bet not for second he imagined while serving the country called Britain, that it would stab him in the back for his loyalty and service!

Currently many other Ghurkhas like him are waiting for their asylum appeals to answered, most of them now retired after over a decades long service, some fighting and risking their lives for this country as long as 15 years.

And for their service, they have been treated like sh*te!! Don’t bother to excuse the language, because it’s the d*mn truth. Stepped on by the governments of Britain one after one, looked at with disgust and then wiped onto the nearest peace of grass to be rid of them.

Meanwhile in other news I read that fascist Islamic Cleric b*stard who the other week said it was okay to kill children in the name of Allah, has gained the right from the Local Councils to have a street party to celebrate the anniversary of 9/11!!!

WHY THE **** IS THIS EVIL FASCIST PEACE OF HUMAN WASTE STILL IN THE COUNTRY?!

Why are he and men and woman like him, such as Hamza, who hate and despise this country, and pose a threat to the British people allowed to remain here, gaining insane amounts of welfare, and then using tax payers money to fight their deportation?! Yet mean who have fought, bleed and served this country as it were there own are treated in the appalling manner that they are?! Tossed away when they are no longer able to lift to their weapons, having given their youth and health for the British people.

They've fought for this country as if it were their own, then this country is their own! And the British government should be honoured to have men such they receive British citizenship!

Unfortunately the British government - be it under the smug Blair, git Major, or satanic Thatcher - would rather open our borders to murders and sympathises of terrorist, than open its hands to the men who have fought to defend those borders for 200 years!

These men may have been born in Nepal, thousands of miles from our soil, but it is OUR soil they have given their lives to protect! The idea of making them seek asylum to begin with is insulting enough, BUT TO REFUSE IT!!

The actions of the ungrateful brats we call our government sicken me, and should sicken all of us. Britain, if it has any self-respect and sense of decency and loyalty, should stretch out our open hands in friendship and tell them not "thankyou", but rather "welcome home, my brother"!

Edited by Talon S.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• wunarmdscissor

• Mekorig

• MichaelS

Talon

I am so glad you wrote the above because I am so angry I cannot write at the moment. I could not agree with you more...you have taken the words out of my mouth. I am disgusted and furious with what I am reading.

Hey everyone come and join the fun!! Islamic ***** are more than welcome to live in our country and have a street party to celebrate 9/11 and threaten our people...just make sure you bring a bottle!

To the Goverment - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. BE VERY ASHAMED!!!

Edited by Lottie

They fight and die for the UK, i think deserved the citizenship at least......his actions in the Malvinas Islands (Falklands) show it.

I have found the Gurkhas to be the most polite of the British soldiers I've dealt with, and I feel they deserve to be UK Citizens if they so wish.

I hate to see soldiers of such self discipline, loyalty, skill and integrity as the Gurkhas get the shaft.

I am so raging at this.

COme to our country if your an islamic terrorist but if youve been a faithful brave and loyal servant you can get to..

Talon's been bugging me to post here to get it back to page one so it can get talked about a bit more tongue.gif

Why are he and men and woman like him, such as Hamza, who hate and despise this country, and pose a threat to the British people allowed to remain here, gaining insane amounts of welfare, and then using tax payers money to fight their deportation?! Yet mean who have fought, bleed and served this country as it were there own are treated in the appalling manner that they are?! Tossed away when they are no longer able to lift to their weapons, having given their youth and health for the British people.

This says it all...these guys earned the right to be regarded as citizens of this country, and it's sickening that the government they fought for would not only turn their backs on them, but mule kick them in the crotch while they're at it.

The fact that some of the absolute scum that are allowed to stay in this country are being granted assylum really doesn't help matters...the government really needs to get its priorities right.

• 2 weeks later...

Gurkhas win UK citizenship rights

Gurkhas who have served in the British Army are to be allowed to apply to settle in the UK and gain British citizenship.

The announcement made by Tony Blair follows a government review and a campaign by the Nepalese soldiers.

The Prime Minister said the Gurkhas had made an "enormous contribution" and it was important that their commitment and sacrifice were recognised.

Gurkhas have fought as part of the British Army for almost 200 years.

Cut-off point

From now on, Gurkhas who leave after more than four years' service will be able to apply to stay in the UK.

It is expected that most will be granted indefinite leave and citizenship after a further 12 months.

But the rules do not apply to those who joined the armed forces before July 1997.

According to the Brigade of Gurkhas Welfare Society, that means 100 Gurkhas in the UK - a quarter of the total number who live here - will not be entitled to stay.

"This is extremely good news in a way but it is not a 100% celebration because of the cut-off date," said Maj Tikendradal Dewan, chairman of the Brigade of Gurkhas Welfare Society.

"It's difficult to rejoice at the news when we know that something like a quarter of the guys will not benefit from it."

For many years, members of the regiment have been pushing for rights to British citizenship after their retirement and better conditions during their army service.

In 2003, seven former members of the regiment lost a court case for the same pay and pensions as other UK soldiers.

Mr Blair said: "The Gurkhas have served this country with great skill, courage and dignity during some of the most testing times in our history.

"They have made an enormous contribution not just to our armed forces but to the life of this country, and it is important their commitment and sacrifice is recognised."

Home Office officials said the new immigration regulations would be phased in very soon.

The Gurkha regiment now has around 3,500 men.

In recent years, the Gurkhas have served in UK interventions in Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Sierra Leone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3702436.stm

Finally they get what they trully deserve, it took far too long in my opinion though. These are great people who deserve to have the right to become citizens and always should have, its very upsetting it took so long!

But the rules do not apply to those who joined the armed forces before July 1997.

I'm still not happy with that disgust.gif 100 men are not included, why not?! Dear god they allow hundreds of economic refugees into the country every day, why can't they allow in 100 men who's proved their right to be here by fighting for us. The system is still messed up disgust.gif