Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Just how powerful IS positive thinking?

Still Waters

(CBS News)

When people recover from illnesses against all odds ... should their claims that "positive thinking" made the difference constitute PROOF POSITIVE? Turns out, not even the "experts" entirely agree on that one.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ovaz1088

• d e v i c e

• Beany

• Paracelse

Well, let's see here. If your thoughts influence your reality, then yes it should be possible for your positive thoughts to effect cancer. I'm reminded of the double slit experiment in quantum physics where the particles choose a certian path based on whether they were being observed. There has been a lot of crazy stuff coming out of the current Quantum physics, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow they find out that thought and positive thinking do have an affect on your reality.

Simple example: You feel negatively about something which results in anxiety, a heart attack and death.

Or...

You think positively in the same situation, calm your nerves and live to see another day.

It's easy to see a physiological link in these kinds of situations. I think it extends from here though.

Some scientists should read the Intention Experiment by Lynne Mc Taggart

I checked it out and she is authentic, and she's not boring like some of the other teachers.

Positive thinking is for real people.

Positive thinking ... appears they are really discussing the concept of self-efficacy whereby one establishes a personal belief system directed at one's ability to succeed in defined situations Those individuals with a high level of self-efficacy are better able to address difficult goal directed tasks. And, self-efficacy has a direct impact on one's resiliency ... the ability to deal with adversity.

It's people like psychologist Richard Sloan and Dr. James Coyne that say they have a high IQ and degree, yet have no knowledge. lol. Science has already proven that our emotion and 'positive thinking' has a lot to do with our health over all.

People with a positive attitude will naturally look for the best ways to deal with situations. Which means they will often succeed in whatever it is they are challenged with. Its as simple as that.

People with a positive attitude will naturally look for the best ways to deal with situations. Which means they will often succeed in whatever it is they are challenged with. Its as simple as that.

Yes, but apparently to a doctor and a psychologist, it's not that simple. lol.

Edited by ovaz1088

Yes, but apparently to a doctor and a psychologist, it's not that simple. lol.

Really they do agree but they just dont want to say because they think their proffessions might be compromised :)

in my mind, this makes child abuse, harassment and bullying even bigger crimes because you're wounding a person's capacity to make their life better and even making them sicker

by wounding their world view. how can you think positively after that?

victims of child abuse actually have higher incidents of suicide!

It is not just the power of "positive thinking" that we need to become informed about but also the power of "negative thinking".

The power of belief is the most central influence for any person's life. Dr Lipton has researched those potentials and published some conclusions.

http://www.brucelipton.com/

Those who control our beliefs, also control our life.

John

If all reality is arguably subjective, how could your perspective not play a significant role in your experience? We create what we believe IMO.

John

:tu:

There's power in words & thoughts, that's how we create and shape our reality, every moment of every day. Positive thinking allows us to escape the victim mentality, which is a powerless state. I believe it also frees our creativity to approach problem solving in a pro-active way, to look for new paths, new ideas, new concepts that we can apply to our lives. When we're negative, we peer into the future and see things going in one direction, straight down the tubes. In a positive state, we can see the limitless possibilities that life has to offer us.

I think of it as diving deeply into a place where all possibilities exist, and when we come up, we hold in our hands the very thing we need, that treasure, the thing we have been needing & seeking. This is my faith, that the universe, the Goddess, God, cosmic consciousness, the divine energy, spirit, whatever you want to call it, loves me and wants me to be happy, and will, in fact, conspire with me to manifest my good intentions. My responsibililty is to be insure that what I think, what I believe, what I say, and what I do are all in integrity with one another in a positive way.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

It is not just the power of "positive thinking" that we need to become informed about but also the power of "negative thinking".

The power of belief is the most central influence for any person's life. Dr Lipton has researched those potentials and published some conclusions.

http://www.brucelipton.com/

John

Very true :tu:

in my mind, this makes child abuse, harassment and bullying even bigger crimes because you're wounding a person's capacity to make their life better and even making them sicker

John

Yes, both positive and negative thinking are powerful tools.

Randym23 - you've made a crucial point here, commonly overlooked. The outcome of these bullying and abusive behaviours on the victim? They grow up believing that to be in control they need to be the one bullying and abusing too often.

John sums it up well :yes: .

I like this quote too, from the movie "The Crow" by Brandon Lee: "Victims, aren't we all". All learned behaviour comes as a result of our response to our environment and to the largest degree from our peer group and family be it positive or negative. We need to take responsibility for our thoughts not just because they affect us but because of the irreparable damage we could be causing others.

It occurred to me that one might ask, "How powerful is thinking?" because most of us are doing it just about all the time, either consciously or unconsciously. The trick is to do it consciously and in a self-directed way that helps us achieve or attain the things we want, once we've made a determination of our goals and the best way to achieve them. Intention is everything.

Well, let's see here. If your thoughts influence your reality, then yes it should be possible for your positive thoughts to effect cancer. I'm reminded of the double slit experiment in quantum physics where the particles choose a certian path based on whether they were being observed. There has been a lot of crazy stuff coming out of the current Quantum physics, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow they find out that thought and positive thinking do have an affect on your reality.

Reality is like a childs colouring in book.

The outlines are there but the child colours in the shapes itself to make the picture. Human minds do the same thing they take the outlines, add perception and the result is the reality we think we live in.

Its easy for someone to accept that the passage of time is subjective but when you start asking how far does subjection actually go it gets a hostile response out of many.

They dont want to ask themselves is disease subjective, is the cup of coffee on your desk subjective, is your Mrs subjective? Its too nuts for them and too at odds with the world they've convinced themselves they live in.

• 1 month later...

I think it could, i love "the secret" , positive thoughts always makes you feel better during the day, also brings good people around you. I work retail and have noticed that if im upset or angry i just attract more bad things and angry people, i believe thoughts are like magnets, they attarct alike feelings...

Also read the book: Converasations with a Friend, by Dalende (Gelma Bruce)

It was very helpful, and i enjoyed it a lot, i put in practice a lot of her work and it really comes true. So yes, i do believe that positive thinking really works at a physical, mental and spiritual level. You just have to study and apply its principles and thoughts like if you are studying for any degree in college, and apply to your daily life.

Edited by Guruman

I think it possible to be cured by positive thinking or atleast make progress, especially if you know that we only use 30% of our brain capacity.

...especially if you know that we only use 30% of our brain capacity.

...No. We use 100% of our brain capacity. It would probably be more accurate to state that we just don't use it very efficiently.

Positive thinking is nice just so long as we keep the reality of a situation in our sights as well.

• 1 month later...

I believe what "The Secret" tells us. The "Law of Attraction" in the universe makes our wish it's command. If you concentrate on a daily basis what you do not want, the universe will manifest exactly just that. However instead just notice the negative, but be obsessed with what you want in life. That's what I consider rubbing Aladdin's lamp. Except the genie will grant you as many wishes as you desire. The universe(genie) will manifest what you want within reason. It's not like you can wish to win the lottery and win. There's too many people wishing for that I'm sure and not everyone can win LOL! Don't monitor your thoughts though, that will make you crazy.

Agreed!

I think that the power of our thoughts and expectations is shown just by the placebo effect... patients thinking they're being treated causes a significant percentage of them to show overal health improvement thanks to nothing but a sugar pill.