Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ravens Use 'Hand' Gestures

Grandpa Greenman

Ravens use their beaks and wings much like humans rely on our hands to make gestures, such as for pointing to an object, scientists now find.

This is the first time researchers have seen gestures used in this way in the wild by animals other than primates.

From the age of 9 to 12 months, human infants often use gestures to direct the attention of adults to objects, or to hold up items so that others can take them.These gestures, produced before children speak their first words, are seen as milestones in the development of human speech.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I really do love ravens and crows.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Greenman

• angi chiesa

• felines3

• Sir Wearer of Hats

They are an intelligent bird , but , they can’t count , if three people walk up to a dead beast where Crows are feeding , the birds immediately fly into the trees , and two people walk away while the third ducks down behind a bush , the crows will come down and resume their feeding .

But I have seen them pick up a dry crust of bread and take it to a dripping tap and place the crust under the drip to soften before eating .

However , I think their relative the Magpie is much more human orientated , they can recognize individual humans , and especially when nesting , strangers are attacked while those who cohabit the same area are left alone , mostly but not always , some may have a really aggressive nature .

I once rescued a magpie that had his foot caught in the top strand of a wire fence , I’ll never do that again , I managed to get his foot un-tangled and he flew away , but while doing so he pecked and clawed me unmercifully , but that may’ve been for putting the fence there in the first place .

Ravens and crows are among the most intelligent of birds. They are also notorious thieves...especially fond of shiny objects. My Dad once set his car keys down on the handrail of our porch only to have a raven swoop down and steal his keys!

not surprising - i have "tamed" the local crows and ravens, and in return for feeding them they spend more time hunting mice around my place (seen a noticable decrease in mice), and they now trust me enough to eat from my hand. lol. eitherway, neat article :)

Oh I know birds are smarter than hell. I had a whole flock of parrots in my house at one point. (over 200 birds) ... My macaw could pick a lock, the tumbler style like on a briefcase, for years I thought my daughter or ex were leaving the lock undone until I secretly watched the damn bird pick it and let himself out!

Of course, on the other hand, he wasn't all that bright too... lol... once he'd picked his lock, he'd start walking around on the floor telling himself what a BAD boy he was. Whever I was in the other room and could hear him saying "Ohhhh Pelee is a BAAAAAD bird! Bummer! Bummer!" I knew in an instant he was out on a walkabout. LOL.

Also, whenever someone came into a room, especially any blonde woman whose attention he wanted, he would "wave". He'd raise his foot up and open and close his talons (often while saying "Hiiiii" in his most alluring voice) ... I never taught him to wave, although sometimes when I came into the room I'd say hi and wave at him.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Ravens and crows are among the most intelligent of birds. They are also notorious thieves...especially fond of shiny objects. My Dad once set his car keys down on the handrail of our porch only to have a raven swoop down and steal his keys!

the raven was thinking "HA! that car's mine now bastich!"

Do they flip the beak?

I had a 'pet' crow when I was a kid - named him Edgar Allen Crow - he was very smart, but he did like my sisters shiney ear rings alot....

Sometimes I think he was too smart... He would often get into trouble with my mom - who did not like him - and constantly tried to 'release him to the wild' only to have him beat her back home...

I never noticed him using 'hand guestures' though if he had he probably would have flipped every one 'the bird'....

Edited by Taun

Oh I know birds are smarter than hell. I had a whole flock of parrots in my house at one point. (over 200 birds) ... My macaw could pick a lock, the tumbler style like on a briefcase, for years I thought my daughter or ex were leaving the lock undone until I secretly watched the damn bird pick it and let himself out!

Of course, on the other hand, he wasn't all that bright too... lol... once he'd picked his lock, he'd start walking around on the floor telling himself what a BAD boy he was. Whever I was in the other room and could hear him saying "Ohhhh Pelee is a BAAAAAD bird! Bummer! Bummer!" I knew in an instant he was out on a walkabout. LOL.

Also, whenever someone came into a room, especially any blonde woman whose attention he wanted, he would "wave". He'd raise his foot up and open and close his talons (often while saying "Hiiiii" in his most alluring voice) ... I never taught him to wave, although sometimes when I came into the room I'd say hi and wave at him.

I have never heard about the 200 birds before MMW. Are you going to become a cat lady when you get old?

No surprise here. Animals are far more intelligent than most humans believe - I guess that means most humans are stupid. Oh wait... they are.

Meh. My Border Collie points her tail in the direction in which she wants me to follow. When she wants me to go to the door, she'll turn her body away from me and curve her tail forward, next to her body, "pointing" to follow. Then she'll look at me as if, "Well, aren't you going to get up?" Smart dog, she has me trained well.

Very intelligent creatures! That's why you never see one dead in the road, there is always another sitting in the trees saying "car, car, car" !!!

Meh. My Border Collie points her tail in the direction in which she wants me to follow. When she wants me to go to the door, she'll turn her body away from me and curve her tail forward, next to her body, "pointing" to follow. Then she'll look at me as if, "Well, aren't you going to get up?" Smart dog, she has me trained well.

My cat does that. She'll either point at the door or the food dish with her tail.

we have free flying ravens at the tower of london.They are quite tame and will take food from your hand. They look at you eye to eye as if they are asking you for a peck of something. I see them as somewhat intelligent

I really do love ravens and crows.

Me too. They are social and very smart. My friend had a Crow when we were teens but all it could say is *&ck you and Football !!! LOL. A cop pulled us over once and he had a perch between the seats of his van. The cop asked my friend for his license and the Crow started crackling **ck you and Football. The cop laughed so hard he just said to move on. LOL

Edited by Robbie333