Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sky/Ground Correlation and the Tower of Babel

UM-Bot

Ian Driscoll: The Orion Correlation Theory (OCT) states that the three principal pyramids at Giza (along with other lesser-known edifices) are astronomically aligned to the constellation of Orion in the sky, with the pyramids of Khufu, Khafre and Menkaure specifically being aligned to the stars of Al-Nitak, Al-Nilam and Mintaka which make up what's termed “Orion's Belt”. This theory was first posited by Robert Bauval, author of The Orion Mystery, in 1994. Bauval first stumbled upon the correlation between the stars of Orion's belt in the sky and the ground plan of Giza on the earth through simple observation. He noticed that, although the Great Pyramid of Khufu and the pyramid of his grandson Khafre were aligned almost exactly on a south-west diagonal, the smaller pyramid of Menkaure was slightly offset to the left.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Ciss

• iddriscoll

• and-then

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Driscoll: The Orion Correlation Theory (OCT) states that the three principal pyramids at Giza (along with other lesser-known edifices) are astronomically aligned to the constellation of Orion in the sky, with the pyramids of Khufu, Khafre and Menkaure specifically being aligned to the stars of Al-Nitak, Al-Nilam and Mintaka which make up what's termed “Orion's Belt”. This theory was first posited by Robert Bauval, author of The Orion Mystery, in 1994. Bauval first stumbled upon the correlation between the stars of Orion's belt in the sky and the ground plan of Giza on the earth through simple observation. He noticed that, although the Great Pyramid of Khufu and the pyramid of his grandson Khafre were aligned almost exactly on a south-west diagonal, the smaller pyramid of Menkaure was slightly offset to the left.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

Great article!

I have often wondered, these people coming up with theories of the ancients building structures in alignment to the stars and planets, are they taking into consideration that the continents have a tendency to move? Wouldn't that throw off the alignments?

• 1 month later...

Great article!

I have often wondered, these people coming up with theories of the ancients building structures in alignment to the stars and planets, are they taking into consideration that the continents have a tendency to move? Wouldn't that throw off the alignments?

Hi,

Good question. I think the alignments remain valid in a very general sense. I've never been so confident in using theoretical astronomical alignment to come up with a construction date, however. For instance, though it seems clear to me that the three pyramids on the Giza plateau are modeled in some fashion after Orion's belt, I can't go along with Mr. Bauval's attempt at dating the structures based upon that similarity. So, to sum up, regardless of the shifting of the landmass, the general shape of the constellation recreated on the ground would remain the same. Of course, if we were to find a southern constellation replicated in the northern hemisphere, or some such thing, that would be very interesting, and perhaps imply a cataclysmic shift in the earth's orientation. But using astronomical alignment to precisely date various ancient edifices is a slippery slope, in my opinion.

Regards,

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

What would be the significance of locating GPS style the exact correlation between a point in space to a point on the planet at a given moment on time? How is that useful?