Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great Sphinx rain catchment system

patrickgiles

Let's start a new topic because I think we're beating a dead horse. In my book, I describe how the Great Sphinx complex was also used to catch rainwater. It was at the base of the plateau at the level where rain flowed into it. Robert temple has found evidence of water gates and so have I. Let's try to refute it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• lilthor

• patrickgiles

• The Gremlin

Looks like a very similar debate going on already. Why flog another dead horse?

Edited by Englishgent

Let's start a new topic because I think we're beating a dead horse. In my book, I describe how the Great Sphinx complex was also used to catch rainwater. It was at the base of the plateau at the level where rain flowed into it. Robert temple has found evidence of water gates and so have I. Let's try to refute it.

What a disappointment! After this:

I regret that I ever communicated with you because now I have to clean that crap out of my head.

I had hoped that you would be successful.

Perhaps you should try again.

Harte

They expect us to have an attention span akin to their own...

ok, so take the surface are of a pyramid, then take all the rock they used and instead put all the rock out flat like a sheet instead of stacked up. You will catch way more water right?

Is what I say the main argument against your idea?

ok, so take the surface are of a pyramid, then take all the rock they used and instead put all the rock out flat like a sheet instead of stacked up. You will catch way more water right?

Is what I say the main argument against your idea?

And given that there are no, and never were, any sandstorms in the area it was way more efficient to clean out tons of sand every year from the catchment was sooooo much more efficient than going straight down to the Nile to get water like they always done....

And given that there are no, and never were, any sandstorms in the area it was way more efficient to clean out tons of sand every year from the catchment was sooooo much more efficient than going straight down to the Nile to get water like they always done....

Nile water is not consumable. Why don't you drink river water? Do you also drink toilet water? No, and neither did they.

You have a point. And you are correct. Since I just finished my book, I am obsessed with the subject of rain catchment. My attention is devoted to defending at this point. I apologize. This may be too redundant. However, before this is forgotten, I would like to state that I have also concluded that the obelisk temples in Abusir were also used to catch rainwater, and they have aqueducts and cisterns,too,

They expect us to have an attention span akin to their own...

I have stated that a large open basin is difficult to maintain. Also, a lot of water would be evaporated in a large, unroofed basin. The mass of stone that is the pyramid was more beneficial as a mound than a basin. However, if I found 27 giant basin in the desert that were attached to aqueducts and cisterns, I would be convinced that they were used to catch rainwater. Instead, we find pyramids attached to aqueducts. That's the hard evidence. The basins you speak of have actually been found in India, and I think they still use them. This was a solution that suited their culture. The Egyptians had a different solution.,

I was hoping you would not enter this debate, and that is why I started another. I have obviously won the pyramid rain catchment debate until you guys can come up with something else. I was not successful at forgetting about you only because you won't forget me. Just stay out of this debate unless you have something to add to the scholarship. Please. You are an embarrassment.

What a disappointment! After this:

I had hoped that you would be successful.

Perhaps you should try again.

Harte

Why indeed. I guess my answer would be to promote new ideas in research. I may be on the wrong forum. Anyway, the Sphinx temple was a giant cistern, and it was located directly in front of the sphinx, which is in a basin. Where does the water go? There are three possible routes. Directly into the back of the temple, and around each side. There are erosion patterns that suggests water drainage that occurred during the Old kingom.

Nile water is not consumable. Why don't you drink river water? Do you also drink toilet water? No, and neither did they.

Tell that to those who still drink Nile water, tell that to those who, through all known history had the job of water carrier, who went down to the Nile, filled their jugs and sold drinks in the city.

As I said in another thread, your knowledge of the realities of Egypt are so severely lacking that you should learn something before trying to tell us "How-The-World-Really-Is(TM by Jaylemurph)".

I was hoping you would not enter this debate, and that is why I started another. I have obviously won the pyramid rain catchment debate until you guys can come up with something else.

Proclaiming yourself a winner by creating another thread?

Nobody at this board (except, of course, your own ego) would even for a second consider that your ridiculous "rain catchment" idea has won the day as an explanation of the pyramids, which can be found all around Egypt and are certainly (and obviously) tombs.

In a post above you claim the Ancient Egyptians didn't drink water from the Nile.

I thought you were a scientist. You show absolutely no curiosity whatsoever about the very civilization you claim to be "expert" in.

Many accounts of ancient Egypt begin by stressing the influence of the environment, and particularly the great River Nile, on the everyday life of its people. It is a good place to start in considering the health of the Egyptians, as the Nile was the life- and health-giving source of water for drinking, cooking and washing. It also, however, harboured parasites and other creatures that were less beneficial.

SNIP

Sometimes ancient Egyptians took in guinea worms in their drinking water. The female guinea worm would travel to its preferred site - the host's legs - in order to lay her eggs, again causing ill health.

Source

Guinea worms:

Dracunculiasis ( /drəˌkʌŋkjəˈlaɪ.əsɪs/), also called guinea worm disease (GWD), is a parasitic infection caused by Dracunculus medinensis, a long and very thin nematode (roundworm).[1] The infection begins when a person drinks stagnant water contaminated with copepods infested by the larvae of the guinea worm. Approximately one year later, the disease presents with a painful, burning sensation as the worm forms a blister, usually on the lower limb. Once prevalent in 20 nations in Asia and Africa, the disease remains endemic in only four countries in Africa.[2]

The guinea worm is one of the best historically documented human parasites, with tales of its behaviour reaching as far back as the 2nd century BC in accounts penned by Greek chroniclers.[3] It is also mentioned in the Egyptian medical Ebers Papyrus, dating from 1550 BC.[4] The name dracunculiasis is derived from the Latin "affliction with little dragons"[5] while the common name "guinea worm" appeared after Europeans saw the disease on the Guinea coast of West Africa in the 17th century.[6]

SNIP

Guinea worm has been found in calcified Egyptian mummies.[7]

Source

Maybe it's just me, but it would seem that an "Egyptologist" should know a thing or two about ancient Egypt.

Yet here you unequivocally assert the Ancient Egyptians didn't drink Nile water.

You are an idiotic buffoon.

I was not successful at forgetting about you only because you won't forget me. Just stay out of this debate unless you have something to add to the scholarship. Please. You are an embarrassment.

If you cannot face critical thought by posters here at this board, it is you that should "stay out" of every debate.

At least, until you are mature enough to face actual criticism.

Harte

^^^You've provided a claim that AE not only drank water from the Nile, but that it contained nasty parasites that gave them all manner of health problems...yet because this water was soooo handy, they had no reason to seek a fresher source???

I would think any source of water that didn't contain guinea worms might have been revered as heaven-sent.

^^^You've provided a claim that AE not only drank water from the Nile, but that it contained nasty parasites that gave them all manner of health problems...yet because this water was soooo handy, they had no reason to seek a fresher source???

I would think any source of water that didn't contain guinea worms might have been revered as heaven-sent.

Yes. exactly.

And there was a water catchment device at the pyramids (and Sphinx) that would have

provided just such water. This is a simple fact.

BTW- love your terminology.

Edited by cladking

They sometimes consumed the worms, it's not like they drank and suddenly became immediately ill.

I've dranken river water often, probably at least as contaminated as the ancient nile, and not become ill.

(Not always voluntary, by the way, sometimes you can't help getting a gulp when your canoe flips over. )

Considering that they wouldn't have known what made them sick *, and it occurred only on occasion, they didn't draw the conclusion.

*(think of the cholera epidemic, where people continued drinking from the same water pump, and becoming sick, yet not coming to the conclusion that the water was contaminated)

There is no evidence that the ancients even knew what guinea worms were... you cannot see the larva without a magnifying device. It probably fell under the chapter "Horus was p***ed at me" when somebody got infected... like so many other things....

There is no evidence that the ancients even knew what guinea worms were... you cannot see the larva without a magnifying device. It probably fell under the chapter "Horus was p***ed at me" when somebody got infected... like so many other things....

They sometimes consumed the worms, it's not like they drank and suddenly became immediately ill.

I've dranken river water often, probably at least as contaminated as the ancient nile, and not become ill.

(Not always voluntary, by the way, sometimes you can't help getting a gulp when your canoe flips over. )

Considering that they wouldn't have known what made them sick *, and it occurred only on occasion, they didn't draw the conclusion.

*(think of the cholera epidemic, where people continued drinking from the same water pump, and becoming sick, yet not coming to the conclusion that the water was contaminated)

So we must dial down their IQ to fit the theory that they all drank from a sewer that drains an entire continent.

I don't buy it. Man has understood the difference between fresh, pure water and river swill for tens upon tens of thousands of years.

I believe they also knew that sex (between male and female) often resulted in babies, even though THAT took nearly a year too.

Thus the invention of beer.

There's no question they drank the water. Every person won't get guinea worms every time.

If, as you claim, I am saying that they drank Nile water knowing they'd get worms, then you are claiming they purposefully swallowed guinea worms.

I mean, after all, they did get the worms, right?

Obviously, neither of these is the case.

It's not like you can see these worms floating around in your water, you know.

Harte

I don't buy it. Man has understood the difference between fresh, pure water and river swill for tens upon tens of thousands of years.

This is about the most brainless thing I've ever read at ATS, I mean U-M.

Harte

So we must dial down their IQ to fit the theory that they all drank from a sewer that drains an entire continent.

I believe they also knew that sex (between male and female) often resulted in babies, even though THAT took nearly a year too.

Meet your equal in intelligence:

tumblr_kxngnz9R4V1qb1yzgo1_500.jpg

This is about the most brainless thing I've ever read at ATS, I mean U-M.

Harte

Good one Hatre, I mean Harte.

Seriously, you're starting to sound less like the old sage and more like the irrelevant curmudgeon sporting a fully-loaded adult diaper.

Perhaps you should change it so you can sit down and express yourself a bit more rationally.

Or not, it's up to you.

Absolute **EDIT**

**Profanity filters are there for a reason. Somelier**

Edited by aquatus1