Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Occupy Montreal protesters branded by police

Persia

Some members of the Occupy Montreal movement are considering legal action against the Montreal police after they were branded without their consent.

Police expelled the group of protesters from Victoria Square last Friday, as part of the group handcuffed themselves to the outdoor kitchen.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111129/mtl_occupy_111129/20111129/?hub=MontrealHome

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• F3SS

• The Silver Thong

• Caesar

• Persia

Oh whaaa. It's not like a scarlet letter. What judge would hear this? Wimps.

This is branding

neck-scarification-healing.jpg

Were they also rounded up on trains and sent to detention camps? and the source was from someones facebook page?

Oh whaaa. It's not like a scarlet letter. What judge would hear this? Wimps.

This is branding

neck-scarification-healing.jpg

That was over the top :rolleyes: . Look up branding. It does not mean to burn or cut into flesh. Photo, time, place, name and number with id is branding. The only reason for such a thing as this is if they were charged with a crime. If no charges it`s against the law simple as that. If you would like the more moderm term look up profiling.

That was over the top :rolleyes: . Look up branding. It does not mean to burn or cut into flesh. Photo, time, place, name and number with id is branding. The only reason for such a thing as this is if they were charged with a crime. If no charges it`s against the law simple as that. If you would like the more moderm term look up profiling.

I know but c'mon...The cops marked the trouble makers with a magic marker. Big deal. I've seen it at bars and concerts. It's cheaper than a wrist band. It's an efficient, non-painful and easy way to recognize rift-raft by all cops and not just the cop who caught them in the first place. Do you really sympathize with this case? These people aren't hurt or scarred. They are just looking for $ and a way to stick it to the man. Like I said, it's not a scarlet letter, it washes off.

I know but c'mon...The cops marked the trouble makers with a magic marker. Big deal. I've seen it at bars and concerts. It's cheaper than a wrist band. It's an efficient, non-painful and easy way to recognize rift-raft by all cops and not just the cop who caught them in the first place. Do you really sympathize with this case? These people aren't hurt or scarred. They are just looking for $ and a way to stick it to the man. Like I said, it's not a scarlet letter, it washes off.

Do cops have the right to mark you with anything. No they do not. One goes to bars and concerts as a choice and agree to being tagged. The police have no right to mark you until you are charged and fingerprinted. Whats next a cop stabbing you with a neddle and getting dna as they now are judge and jury. I don`t care if it washes off and neither should you. It`s a violation and for one to allow another to brack the law allows the law to be used on you. If you want to be complaciant against the simplest of the constitution then we can see a slow slid to a sciociety ready to slip into a government controled society.

What if I said that ever person in the US that has a gun needs to be tagged even though they havn`t broken a law but they may break a law needs to be put in a police car profiled with a number but never charged.

Do cops have the right to mark you with anything. No they do not. One goes to bars and concerts as a choice and agree to being tagged. The police have no right to mark you until you are charged and fingerprinted. Whats next a cop stabbing you with a neddle and getting dna as they now are judge and jury. I don`t care if it washes off and neither should you. It`s a violation and for one to allow another to brack the law allows the law to be used on you. If you want to be complaciant against the simplest of the constitution then we can see a slow slid to a sciociety ready to slip into a government controled society.

What if I said that ever person in the US that has a gun needs to be tagged even though they havn`t broken a law but they may break a law needs to be put in a police car profiled with a number but never charged.

That's as over the top as my first comparrison...

And in the USA legal handgun purchases require a gun permit which let's the fed know who has handguns, legally. So it's kind of a tag. So is a drivers license too I guess. And I'm anti-government control too, but this thing just isn't a big deal. It certainly doesn't require a lawsuit. Given the mischievious nature of these "protests" a little glow in the dark troublemaker identifier seems pretty reasonable to me.

I agree with you there has to be a limit or you end up with no rights what so ever. You can end up not having the freedom to say anything about what the police or your government is doing.

I agree with you there has to be a limit or you end up with no rights what so ever. You can end up not having the freedom to say anything about what the police or your government is doing.

exactly. Hitler worked in increments too until everything he did was perfectly legal.

Godwin in nine. You know Stalin ran a totalitarian dictatorship too you know. How come he doesn't get any love?

It's the mustache. People get him confused with Mario.

Protesters were taken to a bus, where officers processed them, and marked some with an ink that could only be seen under a UV light.

"They took pictures and then they wrote one number. I got the number 5 in black marker," he said.

Wait... huh?

Some were marked with invisible markers that were also black?

Yes, there have to be limits, I agree. However, those attending the protests must have 'limits' too. Since respectful moral and lawful limits were exceeded by the branded ones the cops did something very limited here. Well, would handcuffs or pepper spray have been a better deterant? See the thing with this crowd is no matter what cops do they will be demonized. In fact the only thing that would appease this crowd is if there were no cops around at all. Now that would turn out well.

These people were not 'branded' for life or for days. They can not be identified by the public as branded lawbreakers. The 'branding' only lasted as long as it took to find soap and water. Then again, considering that statement and some of the filthy people in these protests maybe the mark would last forever. So if they can't avoid black lights revealing their public shame, maybe they do have a case.

Edited by Is it for real