Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oceans' deepest depth re-measured

Still Waters

US scientists have mapped the deepest part of the world's oceans in greater detail than ever before.

The Mariana Trench in the western Pacific runs for about 2,500km and extends down to 10,994m.

This measurement for the deepest point - known as Challenger Deep - is arguably the most precise yet.

The survey, conducted by the Center for Coastal and Ocean Mapping (CCOM), was completed to help determine the exact extent of US waters in the region.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Supertypo

• fandango

• skookum

• d e v i c e

can someone explain why these guys are wasting their time doing this ?,what are they trying to achieve,who cares how deep this trench is,I have sailed over it a few times,and the ship didnt wobble,so just what is the point,or maybe its gonna be used to dump trash.

can someone explain why these guys are wasting their time doing this ?,what are they trying to achieve,who cares how deep this trench is,I have sailed over it a few times,and the ship didnt wobble,so just what is the point,or maybe its gonna be used to dump trash.

Wasting time????? Knowledge cannot be a waste of time, surely.

Some of the most important questions such as "How old is the universe?" are they a waste of time too?

Edited by fandango

@fandango: word. How many breakthroughs have been made in one area of science because someone tried to answer a question in another area. The pursuit of knowledge is always valuable. Maybe spud wishes we lived by candlelight and stilled walked everywhere.

It will be very cool to send a robotic sub to explore in that depth, i wonder what kind of interesting living creatures(fish) will they find :D

I cant believe how many missions are planned to re-vist the bottom. It is really cool, I hope they find new life forms, there cold be hundreds of un-discovered species.

I think it would be hard to actualy visualise if you were sailing over it but to to put into perspective and mirror it, its about the same as a passenger jet's cruising altitude.

Edited by fandango

To put things into perspective, check out this link...

It's incredible, looking at that who would want to be in that Virgin submarine that isn't much bigger than a car and dive to the bottom.....count me out. :no:

Indeed, we have managed to explore only a meager 10% of the total water bodies on the earth's crust including both their biotic and abiotic characteristics. There could be numerous undiscovered life forms below there, but you cannot expect such things as Megalodons residing at that depth enduring the incredible aquatic pressure. The life forms would most probably be primitive arthropods like clams or shelly creatures (not to be confused with Shelly, though).

oh man at those deeps findings the descendants of trilobites would be awesome!!!!

"Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life son," Dean Wormer

It will be very cool to send a robotic sub to explore in that depth, i wonder what kind of interesting living creatures(fish) will they find :D

The sub would be crushed to the size of a tin can before it got there. Well megatron survived it so maybe it will be ok lol.

I cant believe how many missions are planned to re-vist the bottom. It is really cool, I hope they find new life forms, there cold be hundreds of un-discovered species.

There are many species in shallower depths that were just recently discovered. We know more about the moon then the oceans.

To put things into perspective, check out this link...

wow. My crappy xmas/birthday presents are being dumped there lol. If we dump our spent nuclear waste maybe godzilla will be created lol.

Why search for water on Mars when we can't even search our own planets' entirety first? I mean, I love space as much as the next guy, but let's explore the ocean depths, and the various forests around the world first and learn everything there is to know about where we actually live first. I mean, people want to find alien life so bad...there's no telling what we haven't discovered here yet.

Why search for water on Mars when we can't even search our own planets' entirety first? I mean, I love space as much as the next guy, but let's explore the ocean depths, and the various forests around the world first and learn everything there is to know about where we actually live first. I mean, people want to find alien life so bad...there's no telling what we haven't discovered here yet.

I dont understand....why "first"? there are people doing this and others doing "the other stuff". Whats the problem?