Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain Suffers as a Bystander to Eurocrisis

questionmark

Well, now you can show us how it should be done can't you.

p.s. It's collective crisis of the Euro.....er which we are not in. :tu:

Can you tell me which countries were hit first and hardest by this current boom and bust cycle - Britain and America.

Britain has kept its head above water by deflating its currency - but thats a terminal strategy when you haven't got a domestic manufacturing/agricultural sector to fall back on.

I find you gloating to be somewhat ill founded. The Euro zone has a choice to make, it can resolve its issues by pulling together, or it can make a decision to break apart. If it chooses to do the former it is in a robust good position to pull through and come out stronger the otherside. It maybe a hard sell at the moment, but a collapse of the Euro would be entirely worse and once the citizens of Europe fully understand that - I am certain they will be pulling together and putting in place all the mechanism to prevent another credit crisis which would derail it in the future.

Br Cornelius

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Caesar

• skookum

• A rather obscure Bassoon

Can you tell me which countries were hit first and hardest by this current boom and bust cycle - Britain and America.

Britain has kept its head above water by deflating its currency - but thats a terminal strategy when you haven't got a domestic manufacturing/agricultural sector to fall back on.

I find you gloating to be somewhat ill founded. The Euro zone has a choice to make, it can resolve its issues by pulling together, or it can make a decision to break apart. If it chooses to do the former it is in a robust good position to pull through and come out stronger the otherside. It maybe a hard sell at the moment, but a collapse of the Euro would be entirely worse and once the citizens of Europe fully understand that - I am certain they will be pulling together and putting in place all the mechanism to prevent another credit crisis which would derail it in the future.

Br Cornelius

I am not gloating, my post was entirely reasonable, & I find your twisted bitterness toward the british entirely predictable, it's what the Irish do best.

I am not gloating, my post was entirely reasonable, & I find your twisted bitterness toward the british entirely predictable, it's what the Irish do best.

You may not have spotted it - but I am English by Birth and sympathetic to the British cause - that is why I make the observations which I do, out of concern - not bitterness.

Wake up before opening your mouth next time :tu:

You may think that been English and jingoistic go hand in hand - but it aint true.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Said with such venom. And all we've done is pulled out of the gang. Wonder why it upsets you europhiles so much.

Quite frankly... all we ever hear from the Europhobes IS Jingoism "look at how clever we were not joining the Euro", "The vast majority of us want to leave the EU", We are patriotic nationalists" etc etc. Truth is - where are the vast demonstrations against membership??:unsure2: Who are the politicians that agree with the "vast majority"??:unsure2: When was the last time the "vast majority" delivered a petition to Downing Street or to Brussels??:unsure2: Exactly where is this majority Europhobes hiding?? Beats me..:unsure:

It's never happened... and it never will because basically "Whingeing Poms" are just that. They would rather recite dubious Newspaper Polls, whinge to their mates over a pint of beer, complain about any and everything - but are not actually bothered sufficiently to actually make use of the Politival Access systems either at home, or in Europe. Why else is the UK not taken seriously - oh yes, it is teetering on the brink of the financial precipice itself, any hint of it finding itself out on its own in europe and out of the EU will send it crashing spectacularly

Look at the failed attempts to set up an anti - EU Political Party to understand just how little difference Europhobes make in the UK, and even less in EU

To add: I am also English by birth and upbringing, so I am not espousing a particularly Spanish viewpoint.

Edited by keithisco

Reading Keiths, Q's and Br's replies you have to give them credit the ships sinking and their still throwing the deckchairs off.

Reading Keiths, Q's and Br's replies you have to give them credit the ships sinking and their still throwing the deckchairs off.

Welcome to the club Steve. How safe do you feel in your ship at the moment ??

I think you have zero reason to be smug.

Br Cornelius

Wish we really had that thingy of $1 for each time you were wrong about that... I would even buy that German precision machine...

Wish we really had that thingy of $1 for each time you were wrong about that... I would even buy that German precision machine...

Questionmark, your bad LOL..

I guess you'll have to go with the Chinese one now.

You may not have spotted it - but I am English by Birth and sympathetic to the British cause - that is why I make the observations which I do, out of concern - not bitterness.

Wake up before opening your mouth next time :tu:

You may think that been English and jingoistic go hand in hand - but it aint true.

Br Cornelius

Sorry but you come across the complete opposite in your posts. Not trying to add fuel to the fire but that is the way I see it. Just for information I am Swedish by birth but have spent the majority of my life in Britain.

Edited by skookum

Sorry but you come across the complete opposite in your posts. Not trying to add fuel to the fire but that is the way I see it. Just for information I am Swedish by birth but have spent the majority of my life in Britain.

You must be assuming that been British equates to be Jingoistic like the rest of the little Englanders here.

Br Cornelius

You must be assuming that been British equates to be Jingoistic like the rest of the little Englanders here.

Br Cornelius

Germany is probably the most nationalistic country in Europe, they were told to save and buy only German goods they have, we'll import nothing and export everything and they did, they need the rest of Europe to keep buying thier products, would you call them little Deutschlanders?

Many of us have suspected, for a long time, that the Lisbon Treaty was self perpetuating. No need for Herman Van Rompuy, and the rest of his autotechnocrats, to require anything as trivial as an EU referendum should they desire to radically alter the European Union ‘ground rules’. So, as the Eurozone crisis deepens, amid what seems to be a financially suicidal attempt to protect the failing Euro at all costs, you won’t be too surprised to see this:-

"BRUSSELS IS working on a plan to avoid a referendum, in Ireland or elsewhere, by adopting a special procedure to meet German demands for changes to the Lisbon Treaty."

"Ireland and other countries have been resisting the clamour for treaty change, but it remains the centrepiece of a joint proposal from Germany and France to strengthen the enforcement of Europe’s budget rules."

"Although the leaders must “consult” the European Central Bank and the European Parliament, this mechanism is seen as a back-door route to treaty change as the protocol has the same legal effect as the treaty itself."

link:- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1207/1224308686987.html

Goodbye democracy hello EUSSR

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Germany is probably the most nationalistic country in Europe, they were told to save and buy only German goods they have, we'll import nothing and export everything and they did, they need the rest of Europe to keep buying thier products, would you call them little Deutschlanders?

The Germans and the French are allowed,but the English are labelled as jingoistic.But hey if we get up their European noses,the more we like it.

Seems that the conference has failed to install confidence in the markets.

Italy bond costs hit new high

MILAN, Dec 14 (Reuters) - Italy's funding costs reached a new euro era record at auction on Wednesday, piling pressure on the new Rome government after last week's EU summit failed to convince markets the bloc's debt crisis can be resolved.
Measures agreed by European leaders at the summit to strengthen fiscal discipline have not reassured investors who now fear a raft of credit downgrades from ratings agency Standard and Poor's on some or all of the 15 euro zone countries it has on watch.

Germany must be close to getting out the Deutschmarks

The dutch are getting very cold feet as well.

The dutch are getting very cold feet as well.

Wishful thinking, Germany never had a better growth of the per capita product as since the introduction of the Euro:

germany-gdp-per-capita.png

But we can start on this theme again when some none Euro countries are incapable of exporting due to the fact that the euro is undervalued :sleepy:

And in related news, re the Dutch:

Euro Crisis Shows Dutch Converge With Germany

When it comes to fighting the European crisis, the Netherlands may as well be a part of Germany.

“The Dutch are often a mainstay for the Germans, and as such, play a bigger role than justified by their economy,” said Sylvester Eijffinger, a professor of financial economics at Tilburg University, 69 miles south of Amsterdam. It’s good for Germany because “it never wants to be accused of going it alone,” he said.

As European leaders have struggled for more than two years to tame their financial crisis, the Dutch government has sided with neighboring Germany in pushing austerity and central bank independence, underscoring differences between northern and southern Europe in seeking solutions.

Read more

after the EU council meeting when our prime minister vetoed the treaty idea. Britain got the brunt of the dirt being thrown, the 17 countries using the euro are pressing ahead. well they would they have no choice in the matter Germany has spoken, and 15 of these countries are now financially dependent on germany, plus two have EU selected governments both headed by two unelected technocrats.

Britain is said to be in isolation but what of the other 9 countries of the EU who dont use the euro? we've seen it in the media as 26 against 1 yet out of 9 countries how many have signed up to join the 17?

This bit from the article is truly ouitstanding..

but the expansion to 17 countries has devastated the Greek and Spanish economies

This moron has no idea really, just repeating "tub-thumping" nonsense. Why does he think the Peseta in its old form would have realised better prospects is beyond me... this whole article is so biased as to be risible, and risible it is :w00t:

This bit from the article is truly ouitstanding..

This moron has no idea really, just repeating "tub-thumping" nonsense. Why does he think the Peseta in its old form would have realised better prospects is beyond me... this whole article is so biased as to be risible, and risible it is :w00t:

I remember that in 1980 you could buy a coffee with 25 pesetas, in 1987 it was already 100 pesetas... looks like they thought it would be better because the numbers got bigger every year :devil:

Thought this comment at the bottom by one of the readers was to the point.:-

Being on the periphery might not be such a bad thing when the **** really hits the fan.

History may well judge Cameron's decision a lot more kindly than the Guardian and the majority of its readers have.

I just thank god Ed (the talking horse) Milliband wasn't prime minister. He'd have rolled over & ask merkel to tickle his tummy if he'd been there.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

The VI's can print article's till the ink runs out. However the markets do not see the latest treaty as the answer to the immediate financial crisis. The ECB has reduced buying bonds, the lending rates are rising hitting a new EU record for them in the Euro. All this time the Pro-euro's are still claiming a victory?

I really can't see what their case is? What is the plan? Nobody including the mighty Germany has an answer yet. Sure they have a plan which is effectively closing the doors after the horses have bolted. But what is the immediate answer?

Surely we must agree whether we are pro-Europe or Against that the immediate financial problem has not been resolved and markets back up this feeling.