Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tennessee family home burns while firefighter

THE MATRIX

To all who says that the firefighters should put out the fire to save the family's home and have them billed later. I say TOUGH S***! They got what they deserve. Don't be trying to change the rules if you weren't willing to play by them. If you don't want to pay, the firefighters don't have to put out their fire.

BTW if they weren't willing to pay the first time, what makes you think they will pay it after the fire is put out?

My link

A Tennessee couple helplessly watched their home burn to the ground, along with all of their possessions, because they did not pay a $75 annual fee to the local fire department.

Vicky Bell told the NBC affiliate WPSD-TV that she called 911 when her mobile home in Obion County caught fire. Firefighters arrived on the scene but as the fire raged, they simply stood by and did nothing. "In an emergency, the first thing you think of, 'Call 9-1-1," homeowner Bell said. However, Bell and her husband were forced to walk into the burning home in an attempt to retrieve their own belongings. "You could look out my mom's trailer and see the trucks sitting at a distance," Bell said. "We just wished we could've gotten more out."

South Fulton Mayor David Crocker defended the fire department, saying that if firefighters responded to non-subscribers, no one would have an incentive to pay the fee. Residents in the city of South Fulton receive the service automatically, but it is not extended to those living in the greater county-wide area.

"There's no way to go to every fire and keep up the manpower, the equipment, and just the funding for the fire department," Crocker said.

The South Fulton policy produced precisely the same nightmare scenario last year, when homeowner Gene Cranick--who had likewise failed to pay the $75 annual fee for rural Obion County residents--saw his house engulfed by flames as South Fulton firefighter watched close by. That incident sparked a debate among conservative pundits over the limits of fee-for-service approaches to government.

Edited by THE MATRIX

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• questionmark

• THE MATRIX

• Mr_Snstr

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that if they don't pay they shouldn't receive the benefits of the service, however, at the same time I think it's wrong that the firefighters show up and just watch the show so to speak. They should have some kind of database with houses flagged where the owner hasn't paid the fee and simply not leave the firehouse if a house in question has called 9-1-1. After all, that's costing them time and gas to trek all the way out there just to do nothing.

This begs the question: Could God start a fire which is too big for him to put out?

I agree that if they don't pay they shouldn't receive the benefits of the service, however, at the same time I think it's wrong that the firefighters show up and just watch the show so to speak. They should have some kind of database with houses flagged where the owner hasn't paid the fee and simply not leave the firehouse if a house in question has called 9-1-1. After all, that's costing them time and gas to trek all the way out there just to do nothing.

They responded to their neighbors who had paid the fee and was there only to protect their neighbors home not the one on fire.

This begs the question: Could God start a fire which is too big for him to put out?

yes, and he'd put it out anyway ;)

The firefighters are there so the fire doesn't spread to houses that have paid the protection money.

Sorry Matrix, I just have to disagree. I wonder if the emergency workers of the nation who went to New Orleans after Katrina demanded payment? Firefighters love to be called "heros", well these guys just missed that train big time.

My feeling is that an old lady living in a mobile home, and likely already pretty financialy challenged is now homeless.

Way to go Tennesee fire fighting hero's!

Sorry Matrix, I just have to disagree. I wonder if the emergency workers of the nation who went to New Orleans after Katrina demanded payment? Firefighters love to be called "heros", well these guys just missed that train big time.

My feeling is that an old lady living in a mobile home, and likely already pretty financialy challenged is now homeless.

Way to go Tennesee fire fighting hero's!

If they didn't want to pay taxes to fund the fire department and would rather pay a fee for service than it is what it is. You can't compare Katrina to this. This is about not wanting to pay and trying to get something for free and when crap hits the fan, they tried to wiggle their way out of it by wanting to pay at the last minute. Sorry but it doesn't work that way. I say TOUGH S***!. they deserve to have their home burn to the ground. They and the people of Tennessee wanted this type of Conservatism then they have to live with the results of it.

Edited by THE MATRIX

They and the people of Tennessee wanted this type of Conservatism .

Kind of doubt they did. And who says they didn't pay taxes, I believe the article said "fee".

side note: remember the fire fighting scene in "Gangs of New York", this reminds me a little of that.

Edited by OverSword

Kind of doubt they did. And who says they didn't pay taxes, I believe the article said "fee".

side note: remember the fire fighting scene in "Gangs of New York", this reminds me a little of that.

South Fulton Mayor David Crocker defended the fire department, saying that if firefighters responded to non-subscribers, no one would have an incentive to pay the fee. Residents in the city of South Fulton receive the service automatically, but it is not extended to those living in the greater county-wide area.

Sorry but the highlights says it all.

Edited by THE MATRIX

While I agree that they should've paid their bill to the fire department. Seeing as the fire department there isn't funded by taxes. The fire department certainly missed a chance to "be the bigger person" here. They could've just as easily put the fire out, and billed them after the fact.

It's really sad and ironic because here in Tennessee we call ourselves the Volunteer State. :hmm:

I say TOUGH S***!. they deserve to have their home burn to the ground. They and the people of Tennessee wanted this type of Conservatism then they have to live with the results of it.

So basically your concern for their safety is outweighed by your anger toward Conservatives? That's re-goddam-diculous!

Edited by Halloween78

While I agree that they should've paid their bill to the fire department. Seeing as the fire department there isn't funded by taxes. The fire department certainly missed a chance to "be the bigger person" here. They could've just as easily put the fire out, and billed them after the fact.

It's really sad and ironic because here in Tennessee we call ourselves the Volunteer State. :hmm:

Being the bigger person here doesn't help pay for the resources and expenses of the fire department.

Been a long time since 1812... times change...

So basically your concern for their safety is outweighed by your anger toward Conservatives? That's re-goddam-diculous!

Where did it say that the family were in any danger? And why should the fire department make an Exception for them when everybody else have to play by the same rules?

Being the bigger person here doesn't help pay for the resources and expenses of the fire department.

You're sounding pretty much like a conservative. :w00t:

Indeed, that's what moral or ethical decisions should come down to; pay.

Been a long time since 1812... times change...

Indeed they have. Volunteer State; except these guys, they're in the Do-stuff-for-money State.

I'm really not trying to be insulting here. For all I know these people were major pricks too, and many other possible factors.

You're sounding pretty much like a conservative. :w00t:

Conservatives likes and want to run things like a business. I can play that game too.

In reply to "I'm really not trying to be insulting here. For all I know these people were major pricks too, and many other possible factors."

Or too poor to pay, they did live in a mobile home, likely in a trailer park, in one of the poorest states in the union.

Edited by OverSword

Or too poor to pay, they did live in a mobile home, likely in a trailer park, in one of the poorest states in the union.

So what? Maybe they were just too lazy to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Maybe if they got better educations and got better jobs then they wouldn't be living in trailer parks.

Edited by THE MATRIX

Wait, are you my little brother? He likes to argue pointlessly too. Don't get me wrong, pointless arguing is my specialty I'm just not feeling it today.

Indeed, that's what moral or ethical decisions should come down to; pay.

And if it came down to the fire department making all the moral and ethical decisions then there would be NO fire department because they would be BROKE!

Edited by THE MATRIX

Well if you think about it too:

In a more sparse or rural area. By the time the someone thought to call the fire department and they arrived; a trailer probably was beyond saving anyways. Once a fire has spread enough it would cost more to fix it than to just let it burn to the ground and buy a new one. Maybe it was already past the point of saving by the time they got there. It'd make for a more sensational story if you didn't mention that.

Edited by Mr_Snstr