Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Occupied Amendment

Ashotep

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• Ashotep

• Indiogene

• Grey14

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll never happen - mostly because the people they want out of the political landscape *are* in the political landscape.

The abuse and overuse of corporate power in government is what's wrong with this country and undermined economic prosperity the USA is about to lose. The Middle Class is shrinking fast said the US census report came out today, and urban areas such as the Downtown Kansas City neighborhoods where poor and Black residents have abandoned most of the homes for nearby inner suburbs and even out of the region. The feds won't care about saving the Middle Class and allowed urban areas across the country to die, turn into ghost towns.

Corporations like the rich are in responsibility to create more jobs and fund the local/region/national economies, not just their own pockets...and the money they have influences politicians to make poor decisions solely focused on business profit schemes. It's time to limit corporations from overriding common sense decisions and do away with bribery-type of maneuvering by some megacorporations.

The abuse and overuse of corporate power in government is what's wrong with this country and undermined economic prosperity the USA is about to lose. The Middle Class is shrinking fast said the US census report came out today, and urban areas such as the Downtown Kansas City neighborhoods where poor and Black residents have abandoned most of the homes for nearby inner suburbs and even out of the region. The feds won't care about saving the Middle Class and allowed urban areas across the country to die, turn into ghost towns.

Corporations like the rich are in responsibility to create more jobs and fund the local/region/national economies, not just their own pockets...and the money they have influences politicians to make poor decisions solely focused on business profit schemes. It's time to limit corporations from overriding common sense decisions and do away with bribery-type of maneuvering by some megacorporations.

I live in Kansas city. The downtown area is far from a ghost town. There are alot of high end loft apartment starting to pop up downtown and a lot of money is being put into revitalizing the downtown area. With the new Sprint center, the power and light district, the new ampitheater and the city market downtown is actually starting to get more lively. Of course the urban nieghborhoods are run down but even some of those neighborhoods are making a comeback.

I like this part:

The rights protected by the Constitution of the United States are the rights of natural persons and do not extend to for-profit corporations, limited liability companies, or other private entities established for business purposes or to promote business interests under the laws of any state, the United States, or any foreign state.

I wonder how the anti-gunners would feel about that little statement.

I think it is time the corporations get out of politics. I think we would have a lot better government without them. Corporations should not be given the status of a live person.

I'm pretty sure I don't like it. I'll need to give it a better read; but it looks like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Section I also denies corporations and other entities established for business purposes the right to claim that worker protections, environmental regulations, and other laws written by the people violate their court-awarded constitutional rights.

Don't corporations already have to adhere to enviromental regulations? I'm not sure what is meant by worker protections; whether they mean safety, or job security(probably this). Am I incorrect in the understanding that corporations already have to follow the law? Where the problem with them getting away with stuff is because of incomplete or corrupt enforcement?

Corporations cannot claim they have constitutional protections from laws written by the people to limit pollution, ensure the fair treatment of workers, and safeguard the public.

If someone could give me an example of a corporation claiming constitutional protection from said laws that would be helpful in me understanding this clause; and it's purpose.

Section III. – Corporate prohibition in elections.

This whole clause I have a problem with. A "corporation" is not a real person. But people within it are; and they have a right to free speech come election time, as well as deciding to contribute. An executive of a corporation is in their right to make decisions on behalf of the corporation.

A "corporation" may have the right of free speech as a natural person would. But it does not speak. People who run it speak, and are entitled to their rights.

Section IV. – Regulation of all electioneering, contributions, and expenditures by individuals and other entities.

My qualms with this is the same as above.

_________

In closing:

What this really looks like is more government control and oversite over the business world. Which would be fine; if the corruption was all in the businesses, and not on our politicians as well.

Without being granted "natural rights" the govenment will have an unprecedented ammount of control on what corporations can do; and how they can use their resources. This equates to an unprecedented ammount of control over people. As "corporation" is just a construct; they are in fact groups of people. The "natural rights" it is granted don't actually exist; because a corporation isn't a person. The purpose of having them is to protect the rights of those who run/own it; and regardless to how one may feel about that, they are entitled to the same rights everyone else is.

If you really want to limit corporations running amok of things; take a good hard look at limited liability, not at the "natural rights" part.

IMO this would be disastrous in ways you couldn't even imagine.

Also if you want them to butt out of politics, at least financially; it should be the politicians who are held accountable for receiving contributions.

Edited by Mr_Snstr

I like this part:

The rights protected by the Constitution of the United States are the rights of natural persons and do not extend to for-profit corporations, limited liability companies, or other private entities established for business purposes or to promote business interests under the laws of any state, the United States, or any foreign state.

This rampant Anti-Cylon sentiment is going to cause ructions I tell you. We'll be seeing Occupy Caprica soon I bet.

Alright so what you are saying is that if I buy a truck and form a corporation I have no voice? 80% of the work force in America are employed by small corporations (non union by the way) you are shutting them out as well? Might as well kiss your job good bye as well then. I should think what should be added here is unions should be omitted giving campaign money to elections as well as only large corporations with more than one company under them. Mega corporations in collusion with Government is hurting everyone. Any corporation with a subsidiary should be under this rule not small businesses.

What we have happening now with the Government sponsored corporations and the class warfare is a way for the mega corporations to wipe out the small businesses because the extra taxes and regulations on those small businesses will force them out leaving the Government sponsored mega corporations to take over. The occupy movement is actually helping this happen.

Edited by cerberusxp

What a can of worms you have opened! No way is Occupy as organized as Newt Gingrich and Citizens United. There are several google hits for Citizens United, and this one is good over view with links for more information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United

We should know Newt Gingrich uses religion for political purpose, and obviously advances a theocracy. He has a close relationship with Citizens United and has produced a documentary about God in America. Citizens United has produced other documentaries as well, and after looking into things this morning, thanks to this thread!, I realize we need to pay attention to who is behind our documentaries, because they are not just factual as we might believe, but can be biased and done for a purpose.

I do not know how we can get our act together fast enough to counteract what has happened to our country?

Among other things Citizens United is against the United Nations and an International Crime court. These serve to resolve international conflicts through a process of law and trials. Without them what is left but economic and military force. I think the future of humanity demands a move to rule by law and democratically determined laws and action, and away from rule by military might, supported by income taxes, especially considering our military force is no longer in our control, but is controlled by corporations, and called defending our economy. This means using war to control world resources, and this is morally wrong, while Newt Gingrich would have us believe God favors the US and is behind whatever it does with its military force.

Sorry if this got off topic, but it is a nasty can of worms!

Edited by me-wonders