Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can we really transplant a human soul?

docyabut2

I too can't somehow help but to think there is a very profound link between DNA and counsciousness perhaps even in a non-physical way.

Also, let's say everything is indeed made up of strings, big question would be "what "drives" them?"? So what could be "telling" them to form whatever quantum? Very hard for me to put into words bare with me please.

I think counsciousness is the main drive of everything.

• 5 years later...

I am responding to ZaraKitty, I too would like to experience the same 

On 3/10/2012 at 2:48 AM, ZaraKitty said:

I'd like to body swap for a day or so, with another gender

2 minutes ago, cmillington said:

I am responding to ZaraKitty, I too would like to experience the same 

Welcome to UM, that member hasn’t been online for 3 years. :rofl:

When you believe that your soul is a separate entity stored somewhere, you would think about transplantation of soul. But if it is not, you would prefer transplantation of body.

5 hours ago, MyBestGuess said:

How would I go about locating my soul?

Google Maps

• Like 5

On 3/13/2012 at 4:45 PM, Simbi Laveau said:

Sorry for the typos on the above post.I was sitting in my dentists office,and now I cannot seem to edit it.

Judging by the length of the post, they must have had you waiting quite a while.

There may be some interesting overlap of this topic and that of evolutionary psychology. Evolutionary psychology argues that we share certain common traits or memories largely based on recurring issues emerging from our ancestry; for example, language acquisition, cheater-detection, avoidance, certain emotions and certainly adaptation. Our adaptation to the novelty of a transplant could evoke a reaction from some of these innate or shared ancestral memories ... perhaps a sense of spirituality and wonder.

• Like 1

That would make a way for new black market lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

That would make a way for new black market lol

Yep.  When I saw this topic I thought it was about the idea of the singularity and AI.  Ray Kurzweil explains in detail how humans could become immortal by transferring their every stored memory into a machine but he ignores the soul as though it doesn't exist. 

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know if these people had learned about their donors or if that information was kept confidential.

I know in at least one of the cases a spouse donated a kidney, so they knew each other, intimately. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 2/11/2018 at 1:59 PM, and then said:

Yep.  When I saw this topic I thought it was about the idea of the singularity and AI.  Ray Kurzweil explains in detail how humans could become immortal by transferring their every stored memory into a machine but he ignores the soul as though it doesn't exist. 

It is hugely important that he does so.  If we all imagined that the soul is something extra, something outside of the physical then he wouldn't even attempt this in the first place.  I find it fascinating that we have reached such a technologically advanced state that we can start to perform experiments that may finally tell us if a soul exists or not.

43 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

It is hugely important that he does so.  If we all imagined that the soul is something extra, something outside of the physical then he wouldn't even attempt this in the first place.  I find it fascinating that we have reached such a technologically advanced state that we can start to perform experiments that may finally tell us if a soul exists or not.

Have you read his book?  While it is fascinating, it is essentially the story of the march of technologies that could make it possible to capture a model of every synaptic interaction, to store every memory, to reproduce the entire output of a human brain and then to download it to a machine.  He then makes the leap that what that machine is then, IS essentially human, without the flesh.  

30 minutes ago, and then said:

Have you read his book?  While it is fascinating, it is essentially the story of the march of technologies that could make it possible to capture a model of every synaptic interaction, to store every memory, to reproduce the entire output of a human brain and then to download it to a machine.  He then makes the leap that what that machine is then, IS essentially human, without the flesh.  

I haven't but I'm fascinated by the technology and this is being attempted, in a different way, at the Blue Brain project.  The jury is out on what will happen.

Here's a question though, as we start using cybernetics to fix our problems at what point is someone more machine than person? If you can replace the entire body then what would happen to the brain? They are, after all, part of the same organism. 

58 minutes ago, and then said:

It would be a machine that thinks it's a person who was human. Same problem we'd have with cloning and memory transfer(if such a thing were ever possible). You'd have a person that looks and thinks just like you, but it wouldn't be you. Just a copy. 

This game actually has an interesting take on the subject.

Soma

Edited by XenoFish

A soul is a piece of information containing who you are, your memories, your reactions, a record of everything you. Theoretically it can be transferred, copied, extended oetc etc. for that soul to be in flow, there has to be a medium. In our cases the human body and brain. With sufficient technology, the soul could be transplanted anywhere that has enough memory and then reactivated with a medium either a simulation, robot, or another body. 

There could even be a cosmic record of your soul stored somwhere to be reactivate sometime in the future. 

Edited by SeekerWCF

On 12/11/2011 at 6:01 AM, docyabut2 said:

qoute[it is my understanding that when we reincarnate the memory from past lives will reside in our DNA. The DNA actually has energetic layers that are not physical.

I hope that this perspective is the kind of insight that you were looking for.

John

Perhaps the memories of the doners are encoded in their living tissue that goes on, like memories are encoded in space and time, much like a tape recorder.The doner patients don`t actually feel the person speaking to them, just tapping into the doner`s past memories and tastes.

I also believe this. I used to have nightmares about my life and death in the 1400s in Europe... as I am 3/4 European I attribute this to that phenomena. Either that or it was my past life can't say but for some reason I do recall what could have very possibly been my ancestors death. Trouble with this idea is that if that was the case, any procreation must have happened before the death and so the memories could not have passed through DNA.