Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I Want To Travel To the USA

Art Vandarley

Guest, hitchiking hasn't been "safe" since the 50's, maybe the 60's... Too many murders and rapists have really given the nix to it. I think Missmiss is right that hitchiking is illegal in most places. I have seen the occasional person on the side of the road, but again, usually people don't pick up hitchikers either because they might be murderers or rapists.

And you might want to check with car renters to see what their specific rules are about age. Years ago, I was able to rent when I was 20, 21.. But the rules may have changed by now.

Back to busses and trains... greyhound and amtrack are on line, so you can check out what they have to offer.

And if you want to go all over the place, I would recommend either spring or fall... Winter can be really sucky in the northern part of the nation, and summer really sucky in the southern part of the nation.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Art Vandarley

• Taun

• rashore

• Myles

Another problem with hitchhiking is that (as we've said before) this is one huge country... If you get out here in west and try hitching... you might be facing a few hundred miles of nothing but a few hundred miles... If no one picks you up.... It's a long walk with few watering stops....

To my mind this is a more real danger than being picked up by a psycho (though that should not be overlooked either)...

Hitching should be a measure of the LAST resort...

And you are right.. there are 'questionable people' everywhere... While a man might be (marginally) safer than a woman I DO NOT recommend hitching!!!!

I've ridden Greyhound busses across the country (not my perferred method!) Seems like there is always some overwhelmed and flustered young mother with a screaming kid (or two)... a few smelly drunks... and a really unpleasantly smelling person sitting real close....

Okay,

let's go away from hitchhiking, back to my preferred method of travelling, the Greyhound. I checked the website, but I can't get the engine to work. Tried New York City to Annapolis, Maryland, but something's wrong with their service.

I've ridden Greyhound busses across the country (not my perferred method!) Seems like there is always some overwhelmed and flustered young mother with a screaming kid (or two)... a few smelly drunks... and a really unpleasantly smelling person sitting real close....

So, just like the trains and busses right here. I know, it's a my experience in a bigger scale, but in fact, I don't have a problem with this collateral "damage" done by going by bus, even on a long distance.

What is the average price of a bus ride from x to y?

What is the average price of a cheap motel?

I am not able to build up a camp, but then again, I don't have to sleep in a Hilton or a Ritz.

Okay,

let's go away from hitchhiking, back to my preferred method of travelling, the Greyhound. I checked the website, but I can't get the engine to work. Tried New York City to Annapolis, Maryland, but something's wrong with their service.

So, just like the trains and busses right here. I know, it's a my experience in a bigger scale, but in fact, I don't have a problem with this collateral "damage" done by going by bus, even on a long distance.

What is the average price of a bus ride from x to y?

What is the average price of a cheap motel?

I am not able to build up a camp, but then again, I don't have to sleep in a Hilton or a Ritz.

I just queried Greyhound.com and found the standard fare from NYC to Annapolis is $55.50 (if leaving tomorrow)... That should be a fairly steady fare... NYC to Los Angeles looks like about $250...

A cheap motel (Motel 6, etc) prices will vary depending on area, time of year/week and if special events are going on at the time... You could probably find a cheap 'mom and pop' motel for as low as $35 or 40... but you might not sleep alone (crawly things :o ....) - There is currently an outbreak of bedbugs in some areas - so be carefull!

To be 'reasonably safe' you should plan on spending about $45-$65 a night for a 'clean' room at a reliable motel... Like I said prices will vary for area of the country, etc...

Unfortunately, we don't have a very extensive network of Bed & Breakfasts or Youth Hostels...

Be warned... the Bed And Breakfasts you might encounter - while they tend to be clean and well taken care of, also tend to be expensive..

@Taun

Thanks for your help.

What I just recognized:

I don't even know how to pay... I mean, I got money, but I don't know how to transfer it. I can't travel with like 2000 dollars cash, that's for sure..

Travelers checks- get them from your bank in US dollars before you leave... Most banks and money exchanges charge a fee to transfer funds from one type to another.

Another way to do it is check with your bank about how to use your bank card overseas. If there's fees attached or not to use your German card in the U.S.. And yeppers, pretty much every frigging ATM here has a usage fee attached to it. Happily, if you have a credit card backed bank card, most places will accept those to be used as credit cards. Visa and Mastercard are the most accepted, followed by American Express. Discover can still sometimes be a hit or miss.

But be warned, there's still a bunch of places that only take cash. Usually smaller places like local taverns and mom and pop type stores.

@rashore

yeah, thank you very much for that information. I don't own a credit card, but that travelers checks seem like an option. Let's say someone steals that check, are they able to redeem it without a passport?

@rashore

yeah, thank you very much for that information. I don't own a credit card, but that travelers checks seem like an option. Let's say someone steals that check, are they able to redeem it without a passport?

That depends on how the bank issues them. To my understanding, and at least here in the states, you can get your checks made out in such a way and insured so that if someone steals them, they can't use them, and you can get them replaced. Like you have to have matching ID and check. I've never had to get checks, I was able to use my bank card overseas.

And you don't necessarily need a credit card. Just a credit card backed bank card. It's attached to your bank account, so what you have in your account you can spend, but you don't have any credit. But there is a credit card logo on it so you can use it like a credit card without needing a pin number to use it like you would with a regular ATM bank card.

I would suggest maybe using a bank that has offices there and here. I think Chase has offices all over the place, and I bet a handful of other banks are all over too. That way, you can set up what you need there, and utilize the same bank here, less fuss and muss that way.

And yeah, a passport is a must.

What I just recognized:

I don't even know how to pay... I mean, I got money, but I don't know how to transfer it. I can't travel with like 2000 dollars cash, that's for sure..

If you need help transferring funds I know a prince in Nigeria that might be able to help you out. :P

Definitely don't travel with cash. Put the money in a bank account and use an ATM card. Most places here take Visa and Mastercard.

I agree with MissMelsWell about avoiding the big cities. Maybe just parts of those cities are worth seeing though. Things like the Statue of Liberty or Times Square in NYC.

You should hit Philadelphia for an authentic Cheese-steak sandwich. Stay out of the ghetto cities though and do a little research as to find out the really high crime areas and avoid those.

Hit my hometown of Syracuse, NY and try out some Salt-Potatoes and a Coney at Heid's.

If you are traveling alone you need to be somewhat 'street-smart' too. Although most Americans are very nice and would be glad to help you out, there are just as many that would love to take advantage of you equally.

Good luck to you and happy traveling.

Seems legit to me. So I have cash, but it's not THAT risky.

When I am over there, I'll come around and hug you guys

<3

@BiffSplitkins

Well, I am not really streetsmart, but I am very kind and curious with a hole bunch of time on my hands. Maybe that equals streetsmart ;)

@Taun

Thanks for your help.

What I just recognized:

You could perhaps open a small account in a US bank, and transfer the cash there, then use ATM Debit (there may be a fee attached) - which is acceptable almost anywhere...

or then again your bank may be perfectly acceptable here as far as credit cards, transfers, etc...

I use to use travellers checks alot but I'm not sure if they are still around...

Perhaps someone else - a bit more finance savvy than i am - could help with this...

Seems legit to me. So I have cash, but it's not THAT risky.

When I am over there, I'll come around and hug you guys

<3

Not to be too harsh about us Americans.. But yeah, it is THAT risky. The moment you open your mouth and speak with an accent, you get target painted on you. The moment you start flashing about that you got any remotely decent amount of cash on you, you will be robbed, and perhaps killed for it.. Especially in cities. Hell, in a lot of cities, all you got to do is show you have any cash at all, or you are dressing different than American standard, some folks will try ripping you off.

Speaking of which.. Buy a pair of sneakers. The standard footwear here is sneakers, and nothing screams foreigner or I got money like wearing walking shoes like are popular in Europe. You guys can tell who we are by our footwear, we can tell who you are by yours.

Being curious and having a whole bunch of time on your hands screams "wealthy person, come rob/kill me". That guy chatting you up on the bus isn't just being nice, he's mining for information to find out what you got, and how likely it is that some time will pass before anyone will miss you.

That said, not everyone here is a scary frigging criminal.. But the closer you get to urban environments, the more likely it becomes that you will meet one of those nasty people. If you really do want to hit some cities, decide which ones BEFORE you come here, and find out where the ghettos and unsafe parts of those places are, and avoid them like the plague. And even though I love the subway, avoid those too. Like Chicago, I used to take the red line daily to school, and I purposely wore large deadly hair spikes in my bun, dressed down, and was always alert for the freaks riding the train. Hell, in the winter, I wore my big black wool cape and looked like a little grim reaper riding the L- I looked like a target less worth the effort and time than another gal.

And lmao, if you can, avoid talking about sports with folks here, or just agree with whatever team is being cheered for. Football and baseball fans can sometimes be the worst, and get kind of crazy if they think you are rooting for the rival of their beloved team. I almost got harassed off the L once when a bunch of rowdy drunk Cubs fans found out I wasn't a baseball fan. I learned to just say go team after that incident.

But there are a bunch of super awesome and nice folks here too. I'm not saying all the gloom and doom to try to scare you off, but rather an attempt to make you a little more American street smart before you come here to enjoy all the wonderful things to be found here.

@rashore

Yeah, you're right about that. I have to be very careful, that's for sure and I'll keep that in mind all the time. Even, if I don't look "rich" or something, I'll try to hide any money I got. Actually today, I even recieved an euro, because I don't look nearly rich :D

All your help is very appreciated, because it's good to know the pros and the cons :)

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

I kinda thought about the trip for a few days and I think I shoulnd't do this completely alone. I don't think I am able to pull this thing alone, because of my health, but I checked a few travelling companies and there are many opportunities for me.

I think that's a good idea Guest. Find a tour group so you'll have a few buddies to hang with... there's safety in numbers. The USA isn't dangerous, but if you aren't familiar with certain things and areas, you could accidentally find yourself in trouble. If you're not experienced in traveling all alone, the USA might not be the best country to tackle first. LOL. Try traveling alone a bit closer to home first.

I had one kind of unique idea though... I wonder if there's a tour or a way to get in touch with a network of German citizens living in the USA that might be willin to receive you in a bunch of different cities! You could start in NYC, be met by a family or couple, stay with them a night or two, then move on to the next billiet family. That might be a really interesting and safe way to see what you want to see, you'd be on your own, but not entirely on your own,and you'd be meeting other Germans at checkpoints more or less. I don't know if such a network exists, but I bet you could find something similar. I know quite a few German nationals in my area that would probably think it would be fun to host a fellow countryman for a night or two!

one tip I know. When my cousins came from France. They checked on craigslist. And people will rent their apartments or rooms in them for much cheaper than a hotel. Stay in NYC for a week. There is too much to see. Don't come now. Wait until the spring.

I now the opportunities like craigslist or couchsurfers, but like I said, I will travel alone, I am not in good health and even if I can't see everything of the cities, I don't care. My family have concerns because they now I am troubled, but I totally want to do this and if I have to curb down my freedom in exchange for security, then it has to be so.

It's no question, that I would like to stay longer then 2-3 weeks, but the it's a question if it's too dangerous, I mean, I am in trouble right now, I don't know what happens, if I'll have a panic attack completely alone somewhere in the states.

Edited by Guest

Not to be too harsh about us Americans.. But yeah, it is THAT risky. The moment you open your mouth and speak with an accent, you get target painted on you. The moment you start flashing about that you got any remotely decent amount of cash on you, you will be robbed, and perhaps killed for it.. Especially in cities. Hell, in a lot of cities, all you got to do is show you have any cash at all, or you are dressing different than American standard, some folks will try ripping you off.

Speaking of which.. Buy a pair of sneakers. The standard footwear here is sneakers, and nothing screams foreigner or I got money like wearing walking shoes like are popular in Europe. You guys can tell who we are by our footwear, we can tell who you are by yours.

Being curious and having a whole bunch of time on your hands screams "wealthy person, come rob/kill me". That guy chatting you up on the bus isn't just being nice, he's mining for information to find out what you got, and how likely it is that some time will pass before anyone will miss you.

That said, not everyone here is a scary frigging criminal.. But the closer you get to urban environments, the more likely it becomes that you will meet one of those nasty people. If you really do want to hit some cities, decide which ones BEFORE you come here, and find out where the ghettos and unsafe parts of those places are, and avoid them like the plague. And even though I love the subway, avoid those too. Like Chicago, I used to take the red line daily to school, and I purposely wore large deadly hair spikes in my bun, dressed down, and was always alert for the freaks riding the train. Hell, in the winter, I wore my big black wool cape and looked like a little grim reaper riding the L- I looked like a target less worth the effort and time than another gal.

And lmao, if you can, avoid talking about sports with folks here, or just agree with whatever team is being cheered for. Football and baseball fans can sometimes be the worst, and get kind of crazy if they think you are rooting for the rival of their beloved team. I almost got harassed off the L once when a bunch of rowdy drunk Cubs fans found out I wasn't a baseball fan. I learned to just say go team after that incident.

But there are a bunch of super awesome and nice folks here too. I'm not saying all the gloom and doom to try to scare you off, but rather an attempt to make you a little more American street smart before you come here to enjoy all the wonderful things to be found here.

Good gads! It's not that bad. Of course he should be careful, but he shouldn't worry about getting killed because he has an accent. I'd advise against carrying $2000 in cash, but if you do indeed drive across the states, you'll be perfectly fine. Don't stay in big cities. If you have to, stay in a hotel on the outskirts. Most hotels have a few restaurants and shops within right there. I envy you, because my last cross country trip wa 16 years ago. I went through the badlands and on to Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone. I'd recommend those locations, but it's hard not to advise making the Grand Canyon part of your trip. I'd recomment crossing the Mississippi at St. Louis and maybe go up in the Arch.

Well, since I am not in a good, I don't want to get my driver license yet. Probably, I will book a flight to New York City and check if someone nice is on couchsurfing.com. It seems very legitimate. So I will search around, looking for some people and if I don't find anyone, I'll book a motel or something. I'm thinking about it very often and I tend to just flying without planning where to go then.

I want to have the freedom to go whereever I want.

• 2 months later...

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just wanted to update this thread, because in a few weeks (early june) I will book my flight to New York City. My health got better since my last post and now I am really excited. I have to get a credit card, my red passport for travelling to the USA, complete my schedule of the Esta, buy I backback, medicine and all that stuff. That's gonna be amazing!

greetings

I just wanted to update this thread, because in a few weeks (early june) I will book my flight to New York City. My health got better since my last post and now I am really excited. I have to get a credit card, my red passport for travelling to the USA, complete my schedule of the Esta, buy I backback, medicine and all that stuff. That's gonna be amazing!

greetings

Good to hear...Hope you have a lovely time

greetings

Thank you. I will have good time. It will take a little time to get into the "strange" environment, because it will be the first time for me to travel alone, but I am a very calm person, I don't have to stress myself, I have enough time and money. Safety first, then, everything will be allright.

Thank you. I will have good time. It will take a little time to get into the "strange" environment, because it will be the first time for me to travel alone, but I am a very calm person, I don't have to stress myself, I have enough time and money. Safety first, then, everything will be allright.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip... Have you decided on what area(s) you will be visiting?

I hope you have an enjoyable trip... Have you decided on what area(s) you will be visiting?

Yes, kinda. First I will book a flight to New York City. I will stay there for a few days, probably in a inexpensive Hotel, or Motel, then I will check Couchsurfers to meet one of the users to sleep on a couch for another few days. While staying in NYC, I want to visit the tourist hot spots. But I don't want to see New York only, so I'll try to find a Greyhound station and a possible trip to Annapolis or something like that. Maybe I'll write a few people in other towns, so I can sleep in their place after arriving in Annapolis or whereever. My budget is 5000 Euro, if I like it up there, I will stay 2 months in America, visiting a few towns like Chicago, Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

Everything's possible, nothing is a must.

I have a question:

I've heard, that you got to have a booked flight back to Germany, when you arrive. Is it possible to book the flight and then cancelling it, so I can fly back from LAX e.g.?

Edited by Guest