Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Glowing light in corner of room

Deb_36

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and would like to ask some advice if I may.

I own an old two story railway station and for the past 6 months or so, my 16 year old son has been sleeping in the old bar/refreshments room while we have been renovating the rooms upstairs.

Although there is no electricity connected in this room yet, my son has told me he often sees a glowing light at night, in the upper right hand corner of his room. He said that a couple of

friends had also seen the light. I kind of brushed him off, thinking it was probably some glow paint or perhaps it was coming from outside through the window. However tonight I went into his room to speak to

him about something and while we were talking I noticed a glowing light in the same spot he told me about. Although the room was quite dark, the curtain was open so I said

it was probably from that and closed it to see if it went away. But it didn't. I sat there for a good 10 minutes watching this light turn from orange to green to white and a couple of times it shimmered like glitter.

It also seemed to be hovering there as if in mid air but when I turned the torch on I couldn't see it at all, nor could I find anything that would explain what was causing it. We decided to leave the room for a while

and go back in to see if anything had changed. When we did this the light was still there but it was no longer as bright, didn't change colours or glitter like it did previously. I guess my question is, what could

this have been and is it anything to worry about?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beany

• Rafterman

• Moonie2012

• Deb_36

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello and welcome.

we had the same thing but the light was yellow and it appeared to be some luminating bugs.

U know some bugs luminate at night.

Also it may be chemical reaction if the place abandoned there might be some leak that would cause such thing to happen.

maybe there is a crack and a light from an outside source would be visible.

examine the spot and let us know

Hi thanks for your response :)

I tend to agree there is probably some other explanation for the light and after looking around the room today I noticed there was a fine crack in the wall.

However on the other side of the wall is the kitchen and that doesn't have any cracks in it at all because we have repaired and repainted it. Also above the kitchen and my sons

bedroom is the second story. None of the wiring has been connected yet so I can't explain how light could be getting in from anywhere else and out through the crack.

The only other thing I can think it could be coming from is one of the air vents. There are four in his room, two on the wall where the light appears and two on the opposite wall

directly above the window. Although I couldn't see any light streaming through them last night, today I did notice one of the vents throws sunlight into the area

of the wall where the light appears. I am going to cover them over today and see if that makes a difference. I will report back the results later.

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and would like to ask some advice if I may.

I own an old two story railway station and for the past 6 months or so, my 16 year old son has been sleeping in the old bar/refreshments room while we have been renovating the rooms upstairs.

Although there is no electricity connected in this room yet, my son has told me he often sees a glowing light at night, in the upper right hand corner of his room. He said that a couple of

friends had also seen the light. I kind of brushed him off, thinking it was probably some glow paint or perhaps it was coming from outside through the window. However tonight I went into his room to speak to

him about something and while we were talking I noticed a glowing light in the same spot he told me about. Although the room was quite dark, the curtain was open so I said

it was probably from that and closed it to see if it went away. But it didn't. I sat there for a good 10 minutes watching this light turn from orange to green to white and a couple of times it shimmered like glitter.

It also seemed to be hovering there as if in mid air but when I turned the torch on I couldn't see it at all, nor could I find anything that would explain what was causing it. We decided to leave the room for a while

and go back in to see if anything had changed. When we did this the light was still there but it was no longer as bright, didn't change colours or glitter like it did previously. I guess my question is, what could

this have been and is it anything to worry about?

Hi there, the colour of the lights is reminiscent of the Hessdalen lights and indicates to me that it is something to be concerned about. The best thing is to treat it with respect. It has the potential to cause some harm if it feels threatened. I believe it to be a kind of bird which uses bioluminescence. As to a way of encouraging it to find another roost, I not so sure. Just be wary is all I can advise for now. Best wishes and let us know of any developments.

Hi there, the colour of the lights is reminiscent of the Hessdalen lights and indicates to me that it is something to be concerned about. The best thing is to treat it with respect. It has the potential to cause some harm if it feels threatened. I believe it to be a kind of bird which uses bioluminescence. As to a way of encouraging it to find another roost, I not so sure. Just be wary is all I can advise for now. Best wishes and let us know of any developments.

How is the bird getting inside and why is there no bird droppings?

Hi again

Ok so it's 10.30pm and my partner and I have just been in our son's room to investigate.

The room was pitch black and we could both see a glow in the same spot as last night but it wasn't as bright this time.

My partner went outside and shone a torch through the air vent that we thought might have been a cause.

It did come through but didn't reach the other side of the room. We then covered the air vent in case the angle of the torch

was wrong, but the glow was still there. I then had my partner go into the kitchen area behind the bedroom wall and shine a torch into the air vents

which are on the same wall as the glow. Again light did enter the room but it failed to reflect itself anywhere near the area in question.

So this rules out all air vents as a possible cause. We then thought that if it was a chemical of some sort that

glowed in the dark, shining a spotlight onto it should make it brighter and easier to see.

But after doing this for some time there was no difference and it still wasn't as bright nor did it change colours or sparkle like it

did the night before.

However to rule chemicals completely out we are going to cover the area with a large piece of paper tomorrow and see if still glows.

If it does then I am at a loss to reasonably explain it's cause and will need to look at other avenues.

I will report back tomorrow.

Unless you can post photos/videos, this is nothing more than a trolling thread.

Hi Rafterman I was planning on trying to capture this on film after ruling out all reasonable explanations as to its cause.

Thanks for the detailed description.

I was reading about luminus bacteria and fungs

and how they can be evolved into capturing light and re emit it in a blue-greenish hue.

If u can clean that spot with a strong bleach they may go away.

Please if you can examin the spot for any of such organisms and clean it if you can

Don't forget to update us.

Thank you

Thanks for the detailed description.

I was reading about luminus bacteria and fungs

and how they can be evolved into capturing light and re emit it in a blue-greenish hue.

If u can clean that spot with a strong bleach they may go away.

Please if you can examin the spot for any of such organisms and clean it if you can

Don't forget to update us.

Thank you

Hi Vanquisher

I think that is a good idea. Mind you, our walls are 15ft tall so

it isn't going to be easy balancing up there on a ladder with a bucket and scrubbing brush lol.

Hopefully I will have some free time to do this tomorrow as I didn't get a chance to do anything with it today.

Hi Vanquisher

I think that is a good idea. Mind you, our walls are 15ft tall so

it isn't going to be easy balancing up there on a ladder with a bucket and scrubbing brush lol.

Hopefully I will have some free time to do this tomorrow as I didn't get a chance to do anything with it today.

be careful in doing that, falling from 15ft is no joke.

i suggest hiring a handy man to do the job.

best of luck

and don't forget to update us.

Thanks

It will be interesting to see some pics or video clips if you can get them. It's quite hard for me to offer an idea on what it could be without seeing it. Light can do some crazy things! Good luck getting to the cause of it.

How is the bird getting inside and why is there no bird droppings?

Through the open air vents of course. The bird has learnt not to poo on it's own doorstep, both physically and metaphorically. It's adept at staying undetected. It's hard to imagine it would remain in the same place whilst it's avenues of escape were boarded up though. If so, we might have the first evidence of a new species if the corpse is recovered after it's eventual demise.

post-94765-0-46819400-1323685724_thumb.j

Edited by tailormaneinafog

Yes, please take and post photos and videos.

At what point are you going to realize that not one single person takes your delusional idiocy seriously?

Rafterman have you considered that I might not have posted a picture yet because I do not own a camera that is good enough to capture what I am seeing on film in the dark?

That said, I do know someone who does own such equipment but lives over an hour away and perhaps I might feel it would

be rather embarrassing, ignorant and rude of me to ask her to travel that distance to spend a night or two away from home, trying to capture photos of something

that turned out to be a chemical stain on the wall because I did not bother to RULE OUT ALL REASONABLE EXPLANATIONS FIRST.

That is why I posted up the information on this forum and yes it is somewhat frustrating

having to mentally picture what I am talking about but I don't see anyone anyone else making digs at me over it.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused but I can assure you I am trying my best and attempted to clean the wall myself because hubby wasn't home

just to hurry this thing along. I ended up standing on a sturdy table using a long handled broom dipped in bleach and sugar soap. I was just able to reach the spot

in question and gave it a few scrubs of the broom. I then waited until early this morning (around 2am) and the glow is still visible.

I would like to ask if there is any other type of cleaner I could try before calling it a day.

Thank you

I posted some photos sent to me by a friend who lives in Hawaii, of some orbs that were moving around the trees at night, and most people decided they were camera artifacts, dust, etc., so if your experience is like mine, posting pictures probably won't move you much further along. I've seen a wide variety of orbs in all colors & all sizes, both indoors & out, while living on an island in the Western Pacific where orbs are openly recognized & acknowledged by the indigneous people. I talked to another friend who lives near Kona who saw a light on the side of her house that sounded a lot like yours. She & a friend did some investigating, and could find no explanation for it. Lights often show up in Native American ceremony, I've seen them in sweat lodge & olawapu ceremonies. So many of our beliefs are culturally ingrained in us that we can't make allowances for people/cultures whose experiences and perceptions of reality are different from ours. It's a kind of rigidity that causes people to think that if they haven't experienced in themselves, then it couldn't possibly be real, or that the only valid experiences are theirs. If you want to talk about the light, PM me.

Rafterman have you considered that I might not have posted a picture yet because I do not own a camera that is good enough to capture what I am seeing on film in the dark?

That said, I do know someone who does own such equipment but lives over an hour away and perhaps I might feel it would

be rather embarrassing, ignorant and rude of me to ask her to travel that distance to spend a night or two away from home, trying to capture photos of something

that turned out to be a chemical stain on the wall because I did not bother to RULE OUT ALL REASONABLE EXPLANATIONS FIRST.

That is why I posted up the information on this forum and yes it is somewhat frustrating

having to mentally picture what I am talking about but I don't see anyone anyone else making digs at me over it.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused but I can assure you I am trying my best and attempted to clean the wall myself because hubby wasn't home

just to hurry this thing along. I ended up standing on a sturdy table using a long handled broom dipped in bleach and sugar soap. I was just able to reach the spot

in question and gave it a few scrubs of the broom. I then waited until early this morning (around 2am) and the glow is still visible.

I would like to ask if there is any other type of cleaner I could try before calling it a day.

Thank you

Really? You have no camera that's good enough to take the shot? Sheesh, just film it with your mobile, i mean it's only 15 feet away, whilst shooting it you can move from side to side, walk upto it as close as you can, etcetera. I feel like this is dragging on, withholding evidence to keep us all reading. Even an old 35mm camera.. something! Almost everyone owns a 3-4 megapixel camera these days and from 15 feet away, i'm sure it'll show up well enough to keep us hypothesizing.

Talk about frustrating!

Really? You have no camera that's good enough to take the shot? Sheesh, just film it with your mobile, i mean it's only 15 feet away, whilst shooting it you can move from side to side, walk upto it as close as you can, etcetera. I feel like this is dragging on, withholding evidence to keep us all reading. Even an old 35mm camera.. something! Almost everyone owns a 3-4 megapixel camera these days and from 15 feet away, i'm sure it'll show up well enough to keep us hypothesizing.

Talk about frustrating!

Yes really. I already tried to take a photo and recording the first night I saw it and it didn't work.

All you could see without using the flash or light of any kind is darkness so its obvious my camera is not right for the job.

That said, I have spoken to my friend about the situation and she has kindly offered to bring over an infrared camera which

she said should pick up whatever it is we are seeing. I am going to call her again tomorrow and arrange a time for her

to come out next week. That is the best I can do for now I am afraid.

Thank you

Deb, have you considered that you're one of dozens of folks who join this forum on a monthly basis with a sensational story, is asked for proof, and then hems and haws for a few day about broken cameras, brothers-in-laws who have borrowed cameras, cameras that the dog ate, photos they don't know how to post, etc. etc. only to then disapear and never be heard from again.

Frankly, in your case, you apparently have absolutely definitive proof of the paranormal. Do you realize the fame and fortune that awaits you when your story goes public? Seems well worth investing in a high end camera and video system to me.

So yeah, you've got a cool story. Unless you can back it up, that's all it will remain.

Edited by Rafterman

I lived on an island where orbs/lights are common, and are considered no big deal. So maybe the lights aren't paranormal. Some consider them to be of a spiritual nature, but maybe they're not; maybe they're just a part of the mechanistic universe that has yet to be explained. Can we say absolutely that if we haven't seen it, then it doesn't exist? Science is talking about a multi-dimensional universe and the possibility of traveling into the future, ideas that were put forth decades ago and laughed at, until now. So, who knows what else exists that we're not aware of. The universe is a wonderful, magnificent, complex entity, and our science is just beginning to truly understand it.

Yes really. I already tried to take a photo and recording the first night I saw it and it didn't work.

All you could see without using the flash or light of any kind is darkness so its obvious my camera is not right for the job.

That said, I have spoken to my friend about the situation and she has kindly offered to bring over an infrared camera which

she said should pick up whatever it is we are seeing. I am going to call her again tomorrow and arrange a time for her

to come out next week. That is the best I can do for now I am afraid.

Good job Deb_36, ignore the others. The infrared camera is a good idea.

If you are suspecting a fungal growth then maybe you should have got out a local builder(?) or someone that treats fungal growths in property first before an Unexplained Forum.They would give you a better idea than anyone on here due to not actually being able to see it....some fungal growths do give off a luminescence i believe and i dont think bleach would clean it off.

Edited by BrianPotter