Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'World's oldest bottle of wine' 350AD

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·
Historians in Germany are debating whether or not to open what is believed to be the world’s oldest bottle of wine.

The 1,650-year-old bottle, sealed with wax and containing a white liquid, has been on display at the Pfalz Historical Musuem for more than a century.

The wine, believed to have been produced locally, was buried with a Roman noble near the German city of Speyer in 350AD. It was discovered in 1867 and analysed by the Kaiser’s chemists during the First World War.

The museum’s wine department curator Ludger Tekampe said: ‘We are not sure whether or not it could stand the shock to the air. It is still liquid.

Wine professor Monika Christmann said: ‘Micro-biologically it is probably not spoiled, but it would not bring joy to the palate.’

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• Princess Serenity

• Still Waters

• rashore

No thank you. That made me gag. Gross.

C'mon now, the guy's held on to that bottle for thousands of years. I got a can of beer that was the last one from the pack I shared with my buddies in Gulf before shipping back to the US, but I would still be p***ed if someone popped the top just to see if was maybe drinkable.

Micro-biologically it is probably not spoiled, but it would not bring joy to the palate.’

Really???:o Did she actually SEE that thing? :no: If something looked like that in my fridge - I'd throw out everything including the FRIDGE.

hehe .. the wine is described as " white liquid " ... maybe it isn't /wasn't wine? If it was wine.. maybe it was ok until it was .........

The wine, believed to have been produced locally, was buried with a Roman noble near the German city of Speyer in 350AD. It was discovered in 1867 and analysed by the Kaiser’s chemists during the First World War.

So, they must have opened it ? ... or maybe they got a drop out with a syringe, and resealed it ? .... who knows. .. Sure looks nasty though :huh:

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

I think they should leave it be, it would spoil it to open it. By spoil I mean it would lose it's importance as the world's oldest and nobody would want to drink it anyway. So what will they do? Pour it down the drain, re-bottle/store it again? There doesn't seem much point in opening it if the contents will just go to waste.

I've seen bottles of milk go like that in peoples fridges (Okay, my fridge. Years ago. Okay, last year.) No. Leave it the way it is for historical purposes.

I say crack it open, i always heard 350AD was a good vintage!