Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
questionmark

Free speech and 'touching' Dick Cheney

questionmark
WASHINGTON, December 11 (UPI) -- The U.S. Supreme Court says it will explore the twilight zone of the First Amendment in a case involving a man arrested after "touching" then Vice President Richard Cheney -- though court records suggest his main offense was being rude to a powerful official while expressing an opinion.

At the core of the case are two competing interests: the right of Americans to say what they damn well please about politics and war, pitted against the need for Secret Service agents to protect public figures in a crowd, often having to make snap judgments.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Rafterman

This isn't a free speech issue. Any person knows you don't touch the President or the Vice-President of the United States.

Well except for maybe this idiot.

Paracelse

This isn't a free speech issue. Any person knows you don't touch the President or the Vice-President of the United States.

Now everyone who lived or knows a little about Beaver Creek CO knows that there is very little knowledge of secret services ethics. I knew some people there, everyone touches everyone while chatting, it's a sign of acknowledgement of person. But of course the almighty cheney is allowed to do as he wishes.. even going hunting...

conspiracybeliever

What a disgusting pig he is! If he doesn't want to be touched or hear other people's opinions he should stay out of malls! If I got that close to him I'd throw up all over him.

Paracelse

What a disgusting pig he is! If he doesn't want to be touched or hear other people's opinions he should stay out of malls! If I got that close to him I'd throw up all over him.

I don't think I would get that close before I started throwing up .. he and bush

lightly

Right, it's not a free speech issue, it's an improper arrest issue... evidenced by the charges against the toucher/speaker being dropped.

It might be stupid to touch a president , or vice president but , .. it's not illegal.

Corp

Agreed. Touching shouldn't be illegal in anyway. But free speech? No.