Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange businesses or stores in your area

NosmoKing

there's this chain of allegedly food places where I live. they have this logo that they call the "golden arches" and they have commercials on TV like literally everywhere. They serve the most god-awful food in the universe. I have NO idea why so many people eat there. Totally baffles me....

Ahhhhhh come in now... The sausage and egg biscuit with orange juice is not so bad.

There's a strange old house that has a Vineyard at the back and amazingly, people live there and sell the Wine. The house looks as though it'll collapse with a gust of wind.

There was this inn near my town that had a meth lab going on in the basement. People would always complain about weird smells. A friend of mine stayed there once and she said it smelled really bad. Eventually authorities found out and shut down the place.

Not sure if it counts as weird or strange but I thought it'd be interesting to share.

there's this chain of allegedly food places where I live. they have this logo that they call the "golden arches" and they have commercials on TV like literally everywhere. They serve the most god-awful food in the universe. I have NO idea why so many people eat there. Totally baffles me....

My brother bought me one of those english baby chicken cradle, meat log and pig rind sandwiches. The baby chicken cradle was THE fakest thing i have ever tasted.

Edited by Skeptic Chicken

Well there is a small town not far from where I used to live and it had an old curio store it was always dark an dingy and the guy that worked there looked like death warmed up but the best thing is he sold shrunken heads I kid you not I'm talking the real deal here and all the females were red heads in this town weird huh. :w00t:

• Like 2

O.O i wouldnt eat any cheese that has spent time around dead animals.

Is the cheese furry and is that how they get the blue vein smell.

There's a lil market round here that sells silver bullets and steaks.

They conveniently supply the perfect weapons for killing a werewolf in one place. Lure him out with a steak and then pump his heart full of silver!

Edited by MetallicBlood
  • Like 1

• We've got an antique shop near our flat that never seems to have customers yet has stayed open for atleast 10 years (according to a neighbour). It also has a peculiar wooden carving of a ram's head O.o

Bastrop%20to%20Cut%20N%20Shoot%20028_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800

Located in Cut and Shoot, Texas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_and_Shoot,_Texas

I do not live there, but I have been through the area a few times.

Edited by Galilei

There's a place near where I live in Halifax, Yorkshire that I find weird.

It looks like the kind of house clearance / Bric-a-Brac shop that did better back in the day before everyone just sold their old strange rubbish on ebay:

343ht2v.jpg

It has junk-shop-y things in the window that you can probably make out - fireplaces, jugs, diving helmets, big old plaster cupids, ancient glass bottles and whatnot.

Not too weird eh? But for as far back as I can remember noticing it, maybe 17 years or so, I have never seen this 'shop' open. It doesn't even have a sign. As far as I can tell, the 'goods' in the window have never changed.

When you peer in the windows, it's too dark to make out anything beyond the incredibly cluttered window displays. When you go past at night there are never lights on. Yet, it has had recent paint on the wooden facings and doesn't really look derelict.

I wish I knew what it was. Semi-abandoned shop? Crazy person's idea of home decoration? No-one I speak to about it knows...

There's a place near my house that always has 2 empty white trucks parked infront of it, and the garage door is always open so you can see what they have in there and it's all just machinery. They never come in or go out but the door always closes by its self...

• 3 weeks later...

Back when I was married and living in Philadelphia I used to walk past a weird store. Never went into it or anything and for the life of me I don't remember the address... But it was weird. Every now and then there would be a woman sitting in the window. She would look nervous and as if she wanted to look over her shoulder but didn't. There was a curtain behind her. I always joked that it was a sex shop to the wife but the woman that was there wasn't dressed like that - she was in a normal "Business Casual" type clothing.

The store always had a weird kind of closed look to it so I never went in. One day I walked by and the store was entirely closed. No idea what it sold or who owned it. I always vaguely wondered about it...

There's a store near me called "Mary's cake shop".

It's named innocently enough, but boy did I have one whopping shock when I walked in for the first time, expecting cake.

It was a sex toy shop, run by a he-she.

I couldn't get out the door fast enough.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

there's a headshop down the street from me called 'the lemonade stand' . not a weird store, but i always wonder why they named it that.

• 8 months later...

Outside my city about 10 miles on US Hwy 30 near an old nuclear power plant in OR is a store I would never see anyone at for years, but always got a good laugh out of it because the sign would advertise "Snacks, tanning, tooth sharping, and VHS".

Not creepy, but an odd combination. The store closed about a year and a half ago, and recently has collapsed part way into itself and the sign fell off.

• Like 1

You are describing a good portion of the "South", small, off the major road, town types. Strange stores, strange people, strange ways of living, you name it, we have it, or know where it can be obtained from. Some of the owners can pass for a winner in a Stephen King look alike contest, to Freddy Krugger(sp), or Rod Sterling, for those old enough to recall him in the early "Twlight Zone", tv series. :tu:

• Like 1

My brother bought me one of those english baby chicken cradle, meat log and pig rind sandwiches. The baby chicken cradle was THE fakest thing i have ever tasted.

Mcdonald's uses real eggs. I've seen them crack the egg open onto the flat top.

There's a place near where I live in Halifax, Yorkshire that I find weird.

It looks like the kind of house clearance / Bric-a-Brac shop that did better back in the day before everyone just sold their old strange rubbish on ebay:

343ht2v.jpg

It has junk-shop-y things in the window that you can probably make out - fireplaces, jugs, diving helmets, big old plaster cupids, ancient glass bottles and whatnot.

Not too weird eh? But for as far back as I can remember noticing it, maybe 17 years or so, I have never seen this 'shop' open. It doesn't even have a sign. As far as I can tell, the 'goods' in the window have never changed.

When you peer in the windows, it's too dark to make out anything beyond the incredibly cluttered window displays. When you go past at night there are never lights on. Yet, it has had recent paint on the wooden facings and doesn't really look derelict.

I wish I knew what it was. Semi-abandoned shop? Crazy person's idea of home decoration? No-one I speak to about it knows...

you ever try just going in?

Mcdonald's uses real eggs. I've seen them crack the egg open onto the flat top.

Glad you understood what I was saying :D

I suppose it must've just been the way they cook them.

Edited by Skeptic Chicken

When my family went on holiday to Vegas we drove through a place I think was called Dolan Springs on the way to the grand canyon. The tour bus stopped off at a little shop that made home made chocolates that I found strange. It was a little trailer shop that sold bits and bobs and there was a small back room where you could see people making chocolate. While we were there I was waiting for the toilet that customers could use and was crossing my legs because I was desperate and someone was taking far too long. The guy that worked in the sop told me there was another toilet down the corridor and to the right so away I went... as I walked down the corridor it appeared I was in their house and walked straight past the living room to the family bathroom. The people sat in the living room didn't even bat an eyelid!

Don't get me wrong the people that owned this place were great & the chocolate was good but after watching so many American horror movies where people stop of at weird little gas stations and shops in the middle of nowhere I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there!

• 2 weeks later...

The weirdest place I've ever been in is a used book shop in my city.

It's a normal looking place, but the thing is, they must never sell anything. I'm not kidding.

I went in looking for some out of print books, and since it was a rather well stocked place, and the books were common, I figured they'd have it. They did have one of them....But it was $3000. So I was honestly annoyed, that book is 40 bucks on ebay. So then I began looking around and noticed everything, even current books, were priced in the thousands. Not one book was under a thousand. So I asked the owner if I was reading something wrong, he said no, then swore at me and told me to leave if I wasn't going to buy. I also noticed that the place is still there, after several years, but the door is always locked even if it says it's open/lights are on.

But even weirder is that in the basement part of the shop, there was a shelf with seemingly random objects on it. There was a tin with baby teeth in it, a jar of pickles from 1963, and what I'm pretty sure was a medical icepick.....as in the lobotomy tool. I also remember seeing a bunch of monogrammed cosmetics from what looked like WWII era. Stolen,maybe?

Either way it freaked me out, as they were there, with tags, for sale. Just these creepy,random items.

I honestly wonder if the owner was a clepto or a hoarder and needed a place to keep his books. Nothing was ever in decent shape, and he obviously didn't actually want people to buy anything.

The weirdest place I've ever been in is a used book shop in my city.

It's a normal looking place, but the thing is, they must never sell anything. I'm not kidding.

I went in looking for some out of print books, and since it was a rather well stocked place, and the books were common, I figured they'd have it. They did have one of them....But it was $3000. So I was honestly annoyed, that book is 40 bucks on ebay. So then I began looking around and noticed everything, even current books, were priced in the thousands. Not one book was under a thousand. So I asked the owner if I was reading something wrong, he said no, then swore at me and told me to leave if I wasn't going to buy. I also noticed that the place is still there, after several years, but the door is always locked even if it says it's open/lights are on.

But even weirder is that in the basement part of the shop, there was a shelf with seemingly random objects on it. There was a tin with baby teeth in it, a jar of pickles from 1963, and what I'm pretty sure was a medical icepick.....as in the lobotomy tool. I also remember seeing a bunch of monogrammed cosmetics from what looked like WWII era. Stolen,maybe?

Either way it freaked me out, as they were there, with tags, for sale. Just these creepy,random items.

I honestly wonder if the owner was a clepto or a hoarder and needed a place to keep his books. Nothing was ever in decent shape, and he obviously didn't actually want people to buy anything.

I wonder how they stay in business