Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saudi woman beheaded

Persia

Then you don't believe in sorcery ? ha? dan6er0us-wft.gif

No, no, no, I said I do believe in superstitions and sorcery... evil eyes too, I have a pair myself ;)

But even if magic is objectively real, not just figment of someone’s (mine too) imagination, still it’s like weapons or drugs, you can use it for good or bad purposes, it’s up to you.

Laws can bring retribution, but can’t stop neither bad nor good deeds, if someone is set to do them.

Which doesn’t mean we don’t need laws, it’s just that our conscience is what makes the difference, not laws. Especially not hilariously misused laws, like in the utterly sad cases of women beheaded for imaginary crimes.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yamato

• TSS

• Mr_Snstr

• Robbie333

Top Posters In This Topic

A question : Sorcery is legal in U.S ?

I can think of a few concoctions that can be brewed/cooked up that would impart its drinker with, at one time would be considered, supernatural abilities.

We just call it something different nowadays...

Let's consult the dictionary.

Sorcery is defined as:

"The use of supernatural power over others through the assistance of spirits"

"The art, practices, or spells of magic, esp black magic, by which it is sought to harness occult forces or evil spirits in order to produce preternatural effects in the world"

"The art, practices, or spells of a person who is supposed to exercise supernatural powers through the aid of evil spirits; black magic; witchery"

ie a fictional belief

I think a law against sorcery might still be in the book in some parts of the US but no judge would take the charge seriously.

Again women suffer for being women, its as simple as that. I pity Saudi women their life is so unfair.

Again women suffer for being women, its as simple as that. I pity Saudi women their life is so unfair.

If only it were that simple. Don't get the wrong idea that it's okay for men to practice "sorcery" in Saudi Arabia.

Women are nurturing, maternal, and generally non-violent after all. The media dredged this particular beheading up because a woman was involved. I wish that the nature of the crime would play more of a role in our emotional responses criticizing the execution of women in particular, but sadly, even grisly axe murder doesn't stop the double standard from rearing its ugly head.

I don't think there is any law in the US against invoking imaginary friends.

Based on what? This case which we know nothing about?

Based on the fact that it is pathetic and evil... Christians long ago used to kill who they thought were witches.. that was abolished because it was just plain stupid and evil... Hanging on to stupid evil laws is plain..PATHETIC . I speak my mind

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Based on the fact that it is pathetic and evil... Christians long ago used to kill who they thought were witches.. that was abolished because it was just plain stupid and evil... Hanging on to stupid evil laws is plain..PATHETIC . I speak my mind

How do you know she wasnt a witch?

Yes, with a caveat. The caveat would depend on the specifics of the case, which is why I require more information about the case most people here are busy rendering their own verdicts on. Evidence of sorcery could be used by a prosecutor to prove an intent to harm, for instance. If any harm came to an individual by the actions of another individual who incidentally practiced sorcery, that could be instrumental in a conviction.

It's a bit selfish to demand that laws halfway around the world must agree with our own personal beliefs though (eg. "I don't believe in evil spirits, therefore laws concerning sorcery are stupid!"). While hearing that a woman was killed for it in a vacuum of any other information might seem harsh, we don't know what harm was done. If it can be proven that someone intended to murder me or harm me in my country, sorcery isn't required for a conviction but it may just as well be included. As another example, if a mother is subjecting her children to acts of sorcery and it can be proven that these acts constituted psychological abuse on those children, charges and convictions would be meritorious. Someone else's belief or lack thereof should bear no influence on the outcome of that case.

This article has more information. For the one who claims it's women suffering for being women this article also mentions a man being beheaded by a sword for sorcery.

A source close to the Saudi religious police told Arab newspaper al Hayat that authorities who searched Nassar's home found a book about witchcraft, 35 veils and glass bottles full of "an unknown liquid used for sorcery" among her possessions. According to reports, authorities said Nassar claimed to be a healer and would sell a veil and three bottles for 1500 riyals, or about $400.

Suadi Woman Beheaded for Witchcraft

Granted; I can't support execution for ripping people off. But one should get punished for ripping people off; especially sick people.

Why?

Because I think we should punish the crime, and not the characteristics of the criminal or the motivations for that crime.

Because I think we should punish the crime, and not the characteristics of the criminal or the motivations for that crime.

I don't, I can think of few occasions that require such a black and white approach.

BM, so unusual of you. I mean, I never noticed you speak your mind !!! LOL

How do you know she wasnt a witch?

Because witches do not harm others.. it was never proven... And you do not kill people for practising witchcraft... IF there was a such thing as REAL hocus pocus witchcraft.. don't you think many so called witches could SAVE themselves with spells? Come on !!

So you think she should have died now ?? How evil is that? Who is more evil.. the so called witch? OR those that kill her?

BM, so unusual of you. I mean, I never noticed you speak your mind !!! LOL

It is better than only posting what I feel others may WANT to hear... Speaking my mind shows honesty... I never post up fake thoughts just to please others... At least people know what to expect from me

It is better than only posting what I feel others may WANT to hear... Speaking my mind shows honesty... I never post up fake thoughts just to please others... At least people know what to expect from me

Atta girl.

I don't, I can think of few occasions that require such a black and white approach.

It's not a black and white approach, it's a principled approach that doesn't leave you or I guessing how a criminal is going to be treated for a crime he or she is contemplating committing.

You're from the UK so I don't expect you to be as familiar with US law as I am, however, the notorious "Hate Crimes" ought to come to mind. How "few" those violations are at whatever moment in time is irrelevant.

It's not a black and white approach, it's a principled approach that doesn't leave you or I guessing how a criminal is going to be treated for a crime he or she is contemplating committing.

You're from the UK so I don't expect you to be as familiar with US law as I am, however, the notorious "Hate Crimes" ought to come to mind. How "few" those violations are at whatever moment in time is irrelevant.

Here is an update on the story to get a better referance on what occured.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhunt/

As we already surmised, it was indeed viewed as an affront to their religion.

By the religious police force, no less! And there was fraud involved as well, at least as the charges go.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/saudi-woman-beheaded-witchcraft/story?id=15145041

I posted it earlier, but it looks like it was missed; this one has more details.

No you're wrong. Not taking into account the motivations and characteristics of the criminal is adopting a black and white approach. Motivation is the key factor in any crime, implying a principled approach without the other causes considered leads to an uncompromising system, that doesn't ultimately benefit society then as it just punishes society in general for being fallible and tries everybody the same. A serial child killer is not the same as someone who takes their eye off the road for a second and kills someone in an accident, you can't judge everyone in society the same.

There are no laws against sorcery or witchcraft in the US. If there were my ex wife would have got life !!! She was a witch. Butta Bing, Butta Boom.

No you're wrong. Not taking into account the motivations and characteristics of the criminal is adopting a black and white approach. Motivation is the key factor in any crime, implying a principled approach without the other causes considered leads to an uncompromising system, that doesn't ultimately benefit society then as it just punishes society in general for being fallible and tries everybody the same. A serial child killer is not the same as someone who takes their eye off the road for a second and kills someone in an accident, you can't judge everyone in society the same.

The two need to be balenced. Taking it too far one way or the other leads to problems. Punishment needs to be compensatory first, and only disciplinary as it needs to be.