Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery creature lurking in waters near

Still Waters

Wildlife experts have revealed that a mysterious giant creature is lurking in waters near the Olympic Park in East London.

Witnesses alerted environment bosses after seeing a 16lb Canada goose dragged under the surface, with fears there could now be a pike, alligator or even a large python stalking the waters near the Olympic site.

The number of swans on the river and waterways near the newly-built £9bn Olympic Park is also dropping.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Ford

• Junior Chubb

• rashore

• Gukumatz

In before a certain someone posts some were-gator hyrax garbage.

Edited by Moonie2012

In before a certain someone posts some were-gator hyrax garbage.

HAHAHAHAA, Moonie, I thought the same thing :) Did you notice that same someone is conspicuously absent from the woolly mammoth clone by 2016 thread? Apparently that person only thinks in the land of make believe where humans turn into strange animals.

That said... I'm betting it's a regular ole predator in the waters. Might not be a native though, maybe something that was a pet and was released.

Maybe it was this?

In a serious note, I can not think of anything that can take a goose down like that, even a pike or a Python would have a bit of a fight on their hands, not just sucking a goose down.

A pike eating a baby duck yes, but a 16 lb goose?...Doubtful.

That's pretty cool stuff. Makes me want to load up my rods/reels and grab the next flight to Heathrow.

I would lean toward the pike explanation. Pike in the 30+ pound range aren't common, but they do exist. World record sized are typically in the 50+ pound range. We would have to be looking at a pike that size to tackle an adult goose.

I guess it could be a gator or a big snake, but I would think they would have a hard time surviving in that climate. Plus, since both are air breathers, they'd have a hard time hiding - particularly the gator. I don't think a turtle would be a good option because that would have to be a HUGE turtle and, again, would be seen doing turtle stuff - sunning on rocks, etc.

Can't be an Alligator, it's too cold I think. Probaby a fish.

Hand me down my fishin' pole. What a great adventure that would be. Laze around on the river all day and hit the pubs at night. Do they swap fish stories in the UK?

record-northern-pike-aaron-wiebe-1.jpg

That sucker could pull down a goose no problem, pike are nasty killing machines

Does Britian have snapping turtles? If so that's my vote. That's how they get ducks by taking them off the surface of the water and I've seen a huge one that looked perfectly capable of taking a goose.

Does Britian have snapping turtles? If so that's my vote. That's how they get ducks by taking them off the surface of the water and I've seen a huge one that looked perfectly capable of taking a goose.

No Snappimg Turtles that I am aware of, but very big Pike - a 60 pounder would have no problem sucking in a 16 pound Goose ?(where did that figure come from?) . I would love to catch that fish alive, and have him exhibited in a natural environmrnt - wouldnt want to be a Bream, Carp, or Tench near him though :blush:

Duck / Goose, they all look the same on the table...

Edited by keithisco

Maybe the goose went to Magicians School and was trying to impress the locals and that was its Hodini act?

It's just me. I was going for a lovely little swim and got hungery along the way. : )

Probably just a respectable citizen from the riots who fell into the river and wanted to cause a little ongoing angst. Lucky there's not much to loot in there...

Edit: And by respectable I mean someone who was heavily involved in the riots. That was 3/4 of the population right?

Edited by Timonthy

If this is a fish it could be a Catfish. Over here (in the UK) the rod caught record is over 60lb, bigger than a pike with an even bigger mouth. They grow alot larger in mainland Europe.

The only question mark left for me would be the 'large holes' in the riverbank found in 2005. This could be completely unrelated to the missing geese or we could be looking for Londons very own Mokele Mbembe.

There are lots of Pike in the River Lea and feeding well with the colder weather arriving .

The Canada Goose would be easy pickings for a 30lb + specimen .

If it was an animal that took the goose, it was most likely a pike. I am not familiar with the average size pike in those parts, but here they can grow to be very large. They are not picky eaters and will eat just about anything that presents itself. This probably happens quite often in that area, it's just not seen very much.

Mike

If this is a fish it could be a Catfish. Over here (in the UK) the rod caught record is over 60lb, bigger than a pike with an even bigger mouth. They grow alot larger in mainland Europe.

The only question mark left for me would be the 'large holes' in the riverbank found in 2005. This could be completely unrelated to the missing geese or we could be looking for Londons very own Mokele Mbembe.

Yeah we have big catfish in the UK, potential for it to be as big as this one caught in Europe:-

article-1283961-09E28F29000005DC-149_634x421.jpg

From the Dailymail:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283961/Catfish-weighing-massive-250lb-landed-angler.html

A large pike was my first thought when reading this. there are plenty of 30lb + pike in the UK and a few over 40lb. I can't help feeling this would be a more common event if pike of this size could prey on birds of this size. A pike is a possibility but she would have to be a much larger specimen than mentioned here. Thats not impossible but it makes me lean towards the catfish rather than a pike.

Can you fish this stretch of the Lea? If so we might well find out.

Edited by Junior Chubb

• 1 month later...