Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would Mitt Romney have won his $10,000 bet?

questionmark

Say what you will about the political wisdom of making a $10,000 wager with one of your GOP rivals at a time of economic distress. As far as the fact-checkers are concerned, Rick Perry would be writing Mitt Romney a check today if he had taken him up on his wager on healthcare reform.

During the discussion of mandates in Saturday's Iowa debate, Perry made this charge: "I read your first book and it said in there that your mandate in Massachusetts should be the model for the country.And I know it came out of the reprint of the book. But, you know, I'm just sayin', you were for individual mandates, my friend. arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Corp

• Order66

• Hurrikane

• questionmark

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why there's this big deal over the bet offer. Romney was getting sick of Perry talking crap so he pulled a number out of his head in an effort to shut him up. I would have done the same, though perhaps picked a lower number since I'm not rich.

Edited by Corp

I think it was a silly comment by Romney. It makes him seem like a condescending know-it-all who can't stand to be contradicted.

Edited by Halloween78

Well he wasn't being contradicted, Perry kept bringing up false information. After all if I went around threads claiming you hated kittens and you called me on it you wouldn't be a know-it-all you'd just be trying to stop the spread of misinformation.

Well he wasn't being contradicted, Perry kept bringing up false information. After all if I went around threads claiming you hated kittens and you called me on it you wouldn't be a know-it-all you'd just be trying to stop the spread of misinformation.

I'm not saying Perry was right or wrong, I just didn't like Romney's mannerism. He is a preppie. He's like the bad guy in an 80's movie, the head of the cool fraternity that terrorizes the nerds. He's the jock in the horror movie that you hope is the first one to die.

Edited by Halloween78

I thought it was good that Romney called Perry out on his false accusations. As far as I am aware, Romney supports the idea of individual states emulating the plan he passed in his state. Perry is purposely spouting rubbish again. I am really not a fan of Rick Perry at all.

WARNING: VIDEO CONTAINS BAD LANGUAGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr39lef0M-Q

Except that in Iowa, such a bet is a felony. They should lock him up.

"gaming and betting" are clearly banned in Iowa, other than in the context of racetracks and bingo. According to section 725.7.b. of the Iowa criminal code, a person shall not "make any bet" --- anyone who does is guilty of a class "C" felony if the bet exceeds $5,000.
source

I agree calling Perry out on misinformation was a good and strong move.

But doing so to the tune of "Wanna bet 10,000 dollars?" really just ended up making them both look bad. Though for different reasons.