Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Norfork man recounts 'Bigfoot' encounter

Still Waters

What is believed to be the only sculpture in the world created to scale in meticulous detail of an adult specimen of the legendary "Bigfoot" resides in this Ozark town.

"It took three months to get it from my head to his (the sculptor's) head," said Clifford LaBrecque, 73, of the fiberglass-and-fur model of Bigfoot he commissioned in 1976 at a cost then of $9,000.

"It's accurate to the inch," LaBrecque says.

The striking model of Bigfoot stands 8 feet tall in the dining room of LaBrecque's home. He says it depicts accurately what LaBrecque remembers from sightings and a physical encounter with a Bigfoot specimen on June 18, 1977, and from many descriptions of the creature prior to his experience.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neognosis

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• Coffey

• NatureBoff

I don't know if it is the fault of Mr LaBreque, or the reporter, but the article is very poor and seems to contradict itself.

At one point, Mr LaBreque claims frequent sightings - but then the article states his belief in the creature hinged on a single sighting (in June 1977)?

Did he witness the creature (or multiple creatures, as he seems to assert) many times before June 1977 and, if he did, why did he not "believe what he saw" before then?

Or is his tale one of a single sighting (by the woodpile) and the rest is a jumble of mistakes by the reporter?

He recounts he was prepared to shoot the beast, and "positioned his car" from which he would presumably make the shot. This would suggest prior encounters and an observance of regular behaviour by the creature. But then, in "the woodpile incident", he suggests that he and his wife were observing the beast for the first time.

There is just too much contradiction in this story for it to pass muster, I'm afraid.

Putting all the article mistakes and contradictions aside. That looks pretty much like a normal silverback. With the obvious differences. Could he have encountered a silverback and then over exaggerated the size and some other things due to fear?

Edited by Coffey

Putting all the article mistakes and contradictions aside. That looks pretty much like a normal silverback. With the obvious differences. Could he have encountered a silverback and then over exaggerated the size and some other things due to fear?

The article in the OP indicates Mr LaBreque recalled the incident under hypnosis. Given the problematic nature of using this method of 'recall', it casts doubt on the incident occurring at all, except in Mr LaBreque's imagination.

Some of the important details in the first and second story linked are contradictory, and support the case the incident may not have happened. I would point out in the first article, Mr LaBreque called his wife to witness the creature during the "woodpile incident", and in the second article, Mr LaBreque was in his car alone, was attacked and then passed out.

My hypothesis is that Mr LaBreque was in his car, possibly fell asleep and had a nightmare, and this nightmare is what he 'recalled' under hypnosis.

I think his sculpture is the best likeness we have of the elusive bigfoot. I love the colour and details of the face. They fit with the Pendek observations which stated a flat face and greyish skin. Maybe the face is clear of hair in some sub-species.

post-94765-0-16981800-1323955856_thumb.j

Edited by tailormaneinafog

This statue sure looks like a great ape. What would silverbacks be doing living in Iowa and Montanna? They only live in Africa.... and if they did live in the USA, how come no one really sees them regularly and there is no 'real proof'! I really want to believe. I love the idea of Bigfoot and his being part human and part animal. Why oh Why has there never been a dead one discovered?

I find it interesting that this person claims that they were able to observe this animal multiple times with some regularity, yet there is no evidence at all to back up his story, and no evidence of a large ape in the north american ecosystem.

Dang thing is built like Shaquille O'Neill! Love to make a foot ball team outa them!

This statue sure looks like a great ape. What would silverbacks be doing living in Iowa and Montanna? They only live in Africa.... and if they did live in the USA, how come no one really sees them regularly and there is no 'real proof'! I really want to believe. I love the idea of Bigfoot and his being part human and part animal. Why oh Why has there never been a dead one discovered?

Because they know that their identity would be compromised if they let one of their's be discovered. Maybe they believe in the afterlife like the neanderthals apparently did?

Because they know that their identity would be compromised if they let one of their's be discovered.

Does this mean that they have group organization and culture then?

I think we never see any of the dead is because their like the elephant. They must have some kind of burial grounds. Find that and you'd have your proof.

To clarify, you think that bigfoot exists and has enough of an organized culture that they collect their own dead and hide them somewhere as yet undiscovered, and this is why we have never seen any remains?

This guys account of his encounters are funny to read. Sounds like he p***ed off the big guy enough to shake the wits out of him and he being so scared he passed out! I think maybe he should stop drinking the mountain moon shine! I don't find any of his writings to be very believable. If he really has spent so many years researching Bigfoot, then why on earth did he NEVER take a camera? Maybe he lives so far out of town he doesn't know they have been invented yet. Oh well, one day he will find a camera then suddenly all his sightings will stop. That happens when you bring a camera you know, they best way to protect yourself from monsters and Bigfoot is to just bring your camera. :unsure:

Rocketgirl B)

Why all the scepticism,if the guy said he saw one or two,ok,why ridicule him,I saw a strange species today,it looked human,in a steel box with wheels on going very fast,and endangering other humans with reckless actions.This species is called "maniac",

Escaped from a zoo on that specific day?

I really don't think there is a bigfoot. I would love there to be one, just like I would love the Loch Ness monster to be real. I just can't see them being real though.

UM besides the other inconsistencies there is this: Norfork Arkansas in the Ozarks is no where near Des Moines Iowa!

You'll never find a Sasquatch corpse...Bigfoot eats its own dead.I thought everyone knew that!

it looks like a large ape type mammal. No one believed in gorrilas either................

Gorillas have an impact on the ecosystem though and there is evidence of their existence.

Europeans only "didn't believe" in Gorillas because Europeans hadn't lived in the Gorilla's ecosystem yet.

Gorillas have an impact on the ecosystem though and there is evidence of their existence.

Europeans only "didn't believe" in Gorillas because Europeans hadn't lived in the Gorilla's ecosystem yet.

Such as?