Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black widow spiders found on US warship

Still Waters

Dozens of black widow spiders have reportedly been found aboard a US military warship.

Workers discovered the highly-venomous arachnids in a crate containing components for the 510ft Navy destroyer’s new missile launching system.

Up to 40 spiders were nestled inside the box, which had been sent to the USS Michael Murphy in Maine from California, said Jim DeMartini, a spokesman for Bath Iron Works, the shipping company building the vessel.

Upon discovering the infestation, workers immediately sealed the crate and called in extermination experts. No one was bitten.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ROGER

• buckskin scout

• HerNibs

• Still Waters

800st_zoom.jpg

Problem solved.

We just bought an antique lowboy for our dining room. My daughter saw a HUGE black widow climbing out of the bottom of it. She yelled at my son to come kill the spider. He walked over to see it and saw how big it was and told my daughter "Oh, hell no..."

He walked off and came back with a can of furniture polish and a lighter, smiled at her and said "This calls for Napalm."

They aren't sure if the spider is dead.

Dorks.

Nibs

I was carrying a window unit A.C. one time & when I set down I realized my hand had been in a black widows face the whole time. She's dead now. :unsure2:

You know, I've around black widows my whole life and have never had a problem with them.

A few weeks ago I was hanging out with some buddies in my backyard, and I kept feeling what I thought was ants or something crawling on my(it was night). When I finally stood up to brush myself off I realized a black widow egg sack had hatched beneath the chair I was sitting on and there were dozens of the little critters crawling all over me. Sure enough, a few pat downs later I was pest free with no bites.

For some reason everyone around me was freaking out and would let me touch them during the whole event lol.

You know, I've around black widows my whole life and have never had a problem with them.

A few weeks ago I was hanging out with some buddies in my backyard, and I kept feeling what I thought was ants or something crawling on my(it was night). When I finally stood up to brush myself off I realized a black widow egg sack had hatched beneath the chair I was sitting on and there were dozens of the little critters crawling all over me. Sure enough, a few pat downs later I was pest free with no bites.

For some reason everyone around me was freaking out and would let me touch them during the whole event lol.

YIKES! I can see why they were freaked out. I cant stand spiders.

I knew sombody who got bit by a black widow, I wouldn't go near a wood shed for a LONG time. There's some pretty amazing spiders where I live.

Well the place where I live in South Australia used to be a vineyard. We regularly have run ins with various creepy crawlies such as redbacks, huntsmans, wolfspiders and whitetips.

Redback Spider

Huntsman Spider

Wolf Spider

Whitetip Spider

Fiddleback Spider

I could go on and on and on and I havent even mentioned the numerous snakes.

Damm now I've scared myself :cry:

Very few if any die from black widows now. Unless they pose a danger to my grandchildren, I leave them. I am not sure if they are still valued for their silk and venom. At the very least they are more use than Alabama state or federal politicans are.

800st_zoom.jpg

Problem solved.

We just bought an antique lowboy for our dining room. My daughter saw a HUGE black widow climbing out of the bottom of it. She yelled at my son to come kill the spider. He walked over to see it and saw how big it was and told my daughter "Oh, hell no..."

He walked off and came back with a can of furniture polish and a lighter, smiled at her and said "This calls for Napalm."

They aren't sure if the spider is dead.

Dorks.

Nibs

HAHAHAHA!!! That is freakin' awesome! Kid after my own heart! lol :tu:

Actually they're not found only in California, to my certain knowledge they're common in Florida, Another venomous spider in Florida is the brown recluse - a bite of which I've received twice - not recommended!

Black widows are shy and reclusive creatures that mostly hide during the day and can be seen openly in their silk at night. Death by black widow bites are extremely extremely rare but if bitten you should seek medical attention immediately (with dead spider in tow if possible). I fathom most bites occur when we intrude into their dark, dusky world with a poorly adviced intrusive hand grasping blindly for objects or clearing out long neglected spaces. Or even more extremely rare perhaps a lone wandering black widow finds itself inside a residence and unintentionally decides to share our most intimate spaces.

General rule of thumb, leave them alone they leave you alone.

They never venture beyond their silk lairs unless it is destroyed (usually they remake their homes on same general vicinity as their previous home but can become temporary destitute wandering widows) or when the spiderlings hatch from their eggs to leave their cradles. Always check beneath patio chairs and tables and other outdoor furniture for black widow cobwebs and eggs. Always watch yourself with long stored away items, such as in attics, cellars, garages, etc. Widow silk is cobwebbed with haphazard irregularly strands of silk that conform to no shape or design, sticky and highly tensil that *cracks* when broken.

• 2 months later...

haha, 1 of the deadliest spiders in the world?! No, I dont think so. Adults at most might need skin grafts after the bite but it rarely kills. Black widows are not even aggressive. It doesn't even come close to matching how dangerous some other spiders are, such as the brown recluse.

I had one horror film in my life...

It can be so dangerous i know because i suffered black widow bite on my vocation..

i was in texas at my uncles home and spider bites me.

In first time i didn't know that was spider bite. After few hours pain was horrible and i decided to go to explore on internet some about spider bites.

Informations and pictures was telling to me that was really spider bite. I called 911 and went to hospital a my vocation, can you imagine??!.

Doktor sad to me that black widow is so dangerous spider that can produce anputation, i was shocked!

That's my story people. I'm hoping i will help someone if read this and learn more about bites..

Sorry about mine bad english, i'm from bulgaria.

haha, 1 of the deadliest spiders in the world?! No, I dont think so. Adults at most might need skin grafts after the bite but it rarely kills. Black widows are not even aggressive. It doesn't even come close to matching how dangerous some other spiders are, such as the brown recluse.

Deaths by Black Widow bites are extremely rare, however, it is crucial if one is bitten by a black widow seek medical attention immediately. Because the longer the bite goes untreated the greater the risks of "Latrodectism", a excruciating "disease" or rather systematics produced by the neurotoxin of the black widow spider. Google "Latrodectism".

No black widow spider bite never caused amputation nor never would.

There are other bad boys worse like try these all vie for the title of the world's deadliest spider:

1. The Wandering Spider of South America (Phoneutria ssp)

2. The African Six-Eyed Sand Spider (Sicarius ssp)

3. The Australian Funnel Web Spiders (Atrax ssp and Hadronyche ssp)

EDITED: removed the word "much"

Edited by dside