Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Phobos-Grunt spacecraft to crash

Saru

The failed Russian Mars probe is due to crash back down to Earth as early as January next year.

A Russian space probe weighing almost as much as two double-decker buses is set to come crashing back to Earth in the New Year.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• badeskov

• and-then

• glorybebe

• George Ford

it appears russia thought we were hiding something about mars, so they decided to take it in there own hands. so we made sure it never left orbit. BWAHAHAHA!!! looks like we'll be the only ones with access to mars atm. oh how thrilling -_- lets leave it in the hands of our trustworthy government to let us know when they've found life. YIPPIE

Ya hollow. sounds about right to me. at this rate by the time the general public knows anything of mars we will probably allready have people on the planet.

Ya hollow. sounds about right to me. at this rate by the time the general public knows anything of mars we will probably allready have people on the planet.

ohhhhmaygawwd! Fer like, the last time, Grunt's target was phobos... Hello?!

Fer realzies yo, like, I can understand why the CIA|DIA|NFO|RAO|OIE|EIE|AYU|PUI|PIU

deny psy-ops tactics when people like you all can't even read a damn article...

dvr076_front_cover.gif

Whatever they find on Mars will be weaponised for the sake of humanity!

With all that toxic fuel and radioactive stuff onboard, i hope it lands in the ocean somewhere and not in a city or something

I hope it lands in Russia, it's their mess. They should tidy it up!

If they know it's coming down why not use the opportunity to intercept it and cause it to crash where they want it to? Just an idea.

If they know it's coming down why not use the opportunity to intercept it and cause it to crash where they want it to? Just an idea.

Uhm, because they can't.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• 2 weeks later...

The Chinese shot down one of their own satellites in 2010 I think, so this should be an easy target.

The Chinese shot down one of their own satellites in 2010 I think, so this should be an easy target.

Blowing up the satelite without control will contribute snificantly to the space junk orbiting Earth, causing more hazard for manned missions and international space station.

That was in 2007 they pulled that stunt. But they didn't shoot down the satellite, they blew it up. You can't shoot something that is in space, you can only blow it up. The difference is huge. They managed to create a huge debris field, which i still circling around in orbit, posing as a danger to other vehicles in space.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• 2 weeks later...

That was in 2007 they pulled that stunt. But they didn't shoot down the satellite, they blew it up. You can't shoot something that is in space, you can only blow it up. The difference is huge. They managed to create a huge debris field, which i still circling around in orbit, posing as a danger to other vehicles in space.

Cheers,

Badeskov

My mistake :unsure2:

I wonder if there is any case law on torts related to space junk. :unsure2:

My mistake :unsure2:

I wonder if there is any case law on torts related to space junk. :unsure2:

No worries :)

I doubt there is any case law, but I could obviously be wrong. Even if that was the case, I doubt it would be possible to pry anything out of the Chinese or the Russians in a civilian court case, although they might pay restitution if approached on a Government level (pure speculation on my behalf - I honestly have no idea of what I speak :P)

Cheers,

Badeskov

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16491457

Sunday is the day apparently. 200kg may not be much but is there a chance it doesn't break up? That 200kg will make a pretty big bang on impact! :wacko:

Indeed. One of the risks of sending stuff into space, though.

Cheers,

Badeskov

....It's on an orbit that doesn't go around the equator," he said. "Instead it's on an angle. Going around the earth, up and down. So it pretty well covers all of the populated areas of the world."The unmanned probe is one of the heaviest and most toxic space derelicts ever to crash to Earth, but space officials and experts say the risks are minimal as its orbit is mostly over water and most of the probe's structure will burn up in the atmosphere anyway.

"The resulting risk isn't significant," said Prof. Heiner Klinkrad, head of the European Space Agency's Space Debris Office that is monitoring the probe's descent....

article

I really hope they are right and no one gets hurt. I am a little sceptical about the risks being minimal, though.