Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christmas trees 'making people ill'

Still Waters

Christmas trees could be to blame for a range of health complaints over the festive season, according to new research.

Don't be too quick to judge those who feel under the weather over the festive period – rather than seasonal overindulgence, it could be their Christmas tree making them ill.

The traditional centrepiece decoration has been blamed for triggering a range of health complaints, from wheezing and coughing to lethargy and insomnia.

The condition – "Christmas Tree Syndrome" – is caused by mould growing on the trees, whose spores lead to problems when breathed in.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Greenman

• Paracelse

• Still Waters

• ouija ouija

I'm allergic to pine trees so I guess that spores would be a lot of my problems. I use a fake tree. It is just as pretty as a real one.

Yeah, people should just use a fake one if they're having reactions to a real one. Saw this fake one the other day that was pre-lit with fiberoptic pine needles as the lights, was really cool.

Of course even fake ones can cause tremendous allergy problems.

I have seven fake trees and I solved the dust problem for the most part. When my husband brings them down from the attic they go outside and I spray them down with the water hose. Garlands get the same treatment.

It might not always be mould on the trees that is bothering people, sometimes trees are sprayed with chemicals to stop them from shedding so easily ...... I bet that isn't so good if breathed in.

Don't be too quick to judge those who feel under the weather over the festive period – rather than seasonal overindulgence, it could be their Christmas tree making them ill.

I know what gets me under the weather... it's the cooking the cleaning and fake smile on my face when I actually would have felt better not doing anything special