Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TV presenters eat each other's flesh

Odds

A corpse can't give consent.

That's because a corpse isn't a living being. Ergo, a person isn't harming someone else if he who ***** a corpse.

I imagine that eating other people is likely illegal because it spreads disease. Which is probably at the core of why our society has put such a taboo on it.

No, our society has "put such a taboo on it" because it's just plain wrong and unnatural. Not even animals eat someone of their own species (except for a few exceptions, of which human isn't one).

Other societies have eaten their dead as a gesture of intense respect. And also of a silly idea that they will gain some of the deceased's powers.

Some societies have also approved of enslavement. I suppose it's alright, then?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BiffSplitkins

• Neognosis

• rashore

• Imaginarynumber1

Ya know Der... Some animals do eat their own sometimes. It's just not usually done for the general entertainment of others of the same species. In this particular case, the cannibalism was done for the entertainment value rather than in extremis, and that's just extra gross.

I am more upset and grossed out by the idea of having a bit of flesh surgically excised than by eating it afterward. I admit I find cannibalism intriguing.

Besides the disease factor (is it really that high?), I'm not sure what makes it WRONG to eat human flesh. (willingly given, of course)

(Disclaimer: of course I don't think anyone should attack or kill or injure someone in order to eat their flesh. I'm talking about life-or-death situations and consenting publicity stunts like this.)

Edited by Purplos

Not even animals eat someone of their own species (except for a few exceptions, of which human isn't one).

http://www.whereinci...a-kids/animals/ (Granted, this is a website for children, but it was the first thing that came up on google, so cut me some slack.)

The more common form of cannibalism is size structured cannibalism, in which large individuals consume smaller ones. Such size structured cannibalism has commonly been observed in the wild for a variety of taxa, including octopus, bats, toads, fish, monitor lizards, red-backed salamanders and several stream salamanders, crocodiles, spiders, crustaceans, birds (crows, barred owls), mammals, and a vast number of insects, such as dragonflies, diving beetles, back swimmers, water striders, flour beetles, caddisflies and many more.

I would call that more than a 'few exceptions'.

Not to mention the male Lions that sometimes eat the young of rival males after they kill them. House cats will eat stillborn fetuses. So do rattlesnakes, but they will also eat some of their young live. Elder Sand Tiger Sharks eat their siblings in the womb to ensure survival. Even chimps have been known to kill and eat not only various monkeys, but their own as well. Rodents are notorious for eating their young. I can attest to this, having breed mice for snakes many years ago.

In short, cannibalism is in fact very common in the animal kingdom. It is not regulated to, "a few exceptions". Indeed, it would appear that the few exceptions may, in fact, be the animals that do not engage in one form of cannibalism or another. And it is worth noting that many, many, groups of humans throughout history have also practiced cannibalism.

Now, please pass the people.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Two things: First, UGH.

Second, from the article: "...a surgical procedure which was then cooked by a chef in front of a studio audience." So, a surgical procedure was cooked by a chef? And this passes as writing on what planet?

There's something wrong with eating human flesh. In a life or death situation? Ok, fair enough. But other than that the instincts cry out, no. It's just not me.

I didn't know they are going to show this in the next episode. Hmmm gonna watch it tonight see what the reaction are. God, never thought that Valerio would do something like that XD Gotta ask him how he felt about it :P

This would make a 'Bush Tucker Trial' a bit more interesting.

Wow. I know they both consented but what would make you want to try that? Curiosity I guess. Yuck lol.

Consent was given from everyone involved by the looks of it, no one died. I don't have a problem with this and I fail to understand why anyone else should.

i agree. i cansee why it would be wrong to kill somebody or maim somebody to do it but thats not the case here.i would try it....

......wow some people really...wow..ooookay reality shows are really trying to get more "creative" this days...Why would ANYone want to even attempt to drive blind? or shave with ketchup? who comes UP with those questions!?

As a lifelong vegetarian I don't really think this experiment was any weirder than I find the concept of eating any dead thing.

Think about this, when you eat a big juicy steak - this was once the body of a living animal that has been slaughtered (with all the blood and the animal ****ting itself at the moment of death etc) the flesh in the case of cow meat has usually been 'hung' for a few weeks. Basically the corpse has been hung so that the flesh can begin to breakdown and the rotting process begin.

As soon as the animal is extinct of life it's essentially a decomposing corpse - to choose to introduce this flesh into your body by eating it is strange to my mind.

Having said this to be a veggie is my personal choice that I don't impose on my family who are all happy carnivores - I just think they're kinda weird....

I wonder if they had some farmer beans with the meat. This is so freakin' wrong.

Well, what it taste like?

Chicken of course.

Good thing it wasn't clown flesh, I heard that tastes funny. :P

Hork... hork... speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a lifelong vegetarian I don't really think this experiment was any weirder than I find the concept of eating any dead thing.

Don't worry, they are still alive...

;)