Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TV presenters eat each other's flesh

Odds

hmm..i sometimes do wonder too what human flesh would taste like...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BiffSplitkins

• Neognosis

• rashore

• Imaginarynumber1

That's because a corpse isn't a living being. Ergo, a person isn't harming someone else if he who ***** a corpse.

People in our culture want to be reassured that they won't be eaten upon their death. It also would be pretty hurtful to the family of the dead to know that their loved one was so desecrated. And you probably would feel even worse about your impending death if you thought there was a chance you would be ****ed before you were cremated or buried.

So doing these things to the dead does cause emotional harm.

No, our society has "put such a taboo on it" because it's just plain wrong and unnatural. Not even animals eat someone of their own species (except for a few exceptions, of which human isn't one).

Many societies have eaten their dead as a symbol of respect. And most meat eaters, barring most animals with a pack social structure, will eat their own dead. Lions even eat the live cubs of their rivals. coyotes will tear a dog apart and eat it, and they are not far from the same species. Wolves will eat coyotes. Monkees will eat other species of monkies and chimps have been observed eating other chimps.

Some societies have also approved of enslavement. I suppose it's alright, then?

I'm not making the argument that "it is alright." I'm merely removing my emotion and stating common sense fact. WHY do we have a taboo against cannibalism? Most likely because it spreads disease, plain and simple. There are reasons for all taboos.

In addition to the spreading of disease, our type of societal organization probably would not be sustainable if we were eating our dead.

Edited by Neognosis

Hoax

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands, Dec. 20 (UPI) -- The Dutch network behind a TV show featuring hosts claiming to eat one another's flesh said the stunt was a hoax to raise awareness of organ donation.

Broadcaster BNN-TV sparked a flurry of online controversy when it released a teaser trailer for Wednesday's episode of "Guinea Pigs" indicating hosts Dennis Storm and Valerio Zeno would be sampling one another's flesh after having pieces surgically removed and prepared by a chef, DutchNews.nl reported.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/12/20/Dutch-TV-cannibalism-stunt-a-hoax/UPI-58851324419437/#ixzz1hCGDCRrF

Nibs

Um... meh? Woop-dee-do? Who cares? There are much more disgusting things on television... like that effing American Idol program and all it's hell-spawn.

Um... meh? Woop-dee-do? Who cares? There are much more disgusting things on television... like that effing American Idol program and all it's hell-spawn.

Or Glee.

Because some things are just wrong, regardless of whether someone's harmed or not. Eating someone of your own species is one of them.

Would you say the same be the same if someone showed himself making out with a corpse on TV?

I eat beef/chicken/lamb/ostrich/meat, so I find it extremely disgusting of you or people like you to have a problem with this.

And why are you on about a corpse? No one was dead in this skit! Fml.

Edited by voidla

Hoax

Nibs

This is the last straw! If one can't believe a News Report on a National TV about mutual cannibalism, how is one to believe comments from political commentators? B)

I agree with you on this one. Jersey Shore is just as bad.

Edited by Robert1

I agree with you on this one. Jersey Shore is just as bad.

I'd rather watch people eat eachother alive than Jersey Shore, really. Everything that is wrong with society today is depicted in that show. One of the cast members gave a speech at a college about deviants, and one of the students (whom I would like to meet and shake his hand), said "And what gives you, a cast member of Jershey Shore, give you the right to lecture us about setting a good example?" I could not agree more with that.

EDIT: Sorry for going completely offtopic. :geek:

Edited by xScorpinix

That's because a corpse isn't a living being. Ergo, a person isn't harming someone else if he who ***** a corpse.

No, our society has "put such a taboo on it" because it's just plain wrong and unnatural. Not even animals eat someone of their own species (except for a few exceptions, of which human isn't one).

Some societies have also approved of enslavement. I suppose it's alright, then?

Enslavement is another case of an act done without consent. In a lot of places, there are no laws specifically against cannibalism. Honestly, if two people agreed to do something like this what would you convict them of? One of the most recent and famous cases of cannibalism was that of Armin Meiwes in Germany who killed an ate a willing victim. He was convicted of murder, not cannibalism. It's very common in nature actually and some scientists believe it was common for early humans too. I recall reading somewhere that scientists believe a lot of people today have a gene protecting against brain diseases (that come from cannibalism) which developed from our ancestors resorting to cannibalism.

So is it gross and unnecessary? Yes. Wrong and unnatural? Not really.

As a lifelong vegetarian I don't really think this experiment was any weirder than I find the concept of eating any dead thing.

Think about this, when you eat a big juicy steak - this was once the body of a living animal that has been slaughtered (with all the blood and the animal ****ting itself at the moment of death etc) the flesh in the case of cow meat has usually been 'hung' for a few weeks. Basically the corpse has been hung so that the flesh can begin to breakdown and the rotting process begin.

As soon as the animal is extinct of life it's essentially a decomposing corpse - to choose to introduce this flesh into your body by eating it is strange to my mind.

Having said this to be a veggie is my personal choice that I don't impose on my family who are all happy carnivores - I just think they're kinda weird....

Just because you can't hear your vegetables scream before they are mass murdered by the farming equipment doesn't mean your way of life is any more noble. We all kill to survive, live with it. Vegetarianism is just denial. Unless of course you're a veggie because you just dont like meat...that's cool.

As for the "cannabilism taboo": Realistically it's because we're arrogant as a species. We believe ourselves to be more special than the animals because we build and speak (maybe religion has something to do with it too.) I would argue there's also a security argument behind it being a taboo. We CAN think in a more dynamic way than animals and realize that if human flesh is part of our diet, then we run the risk of being eaten at any given point in time. Human life becomes less precious and more disposable when it is a food source. Outside of the secuirty ar though, I would argue that we are meat just like any other animal.

Edited by POSValkir

They must be Christians - you know "eat of my flesh".

This is just plain gross and inhuman ewwww

Obviously it is not inhuman, since humans are doing it, and have done it in the past.

Obviously it is not inhuman, since humans are doing it, and have done it in the past.

Haha, good call.

The reporters, the surgeon, And the Chef .,. bad example, the waste of a medical degree, disgrace to the Culinary profession!