Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astral Projection FAQs & Techniques Thread

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

I've fallen out of practicing after having some dental work done, the pain medication I was on seemed to turn off any meditative ability I had before. Even my dreams seemed off... Now that I'm past that I had a strange experience last night.

I "woke up" with sleep paralysis laying on my back. Usually when I experience this I am tormented by shadowy figures either holding me down or just watching me. This time I didn't wait and my mind told me that this was my chance to try to project. So I sat up and started to exit, but the feeling caught me off guard and I started over-thinking it. Before I knew it I fell back in and woke up.

It was the first time I've intentionally exited, but unfortunately I blew it immediately haha. I never felt the presence of the shadows, but it all happened so fast.

Does anyone have any tips on staying out and not psyching yourself back in?

Edited by Lusca_2112

I've fallen out of practicing after having some dental work done, the pain medication I was on seemed to turn off any meditative ability I had before. Even my dreams seemed off... Now that I'm past that I had a strange experience last night.

I "woke up" with sleep paralysis laying on my back. Usually when I experience this I am tormented by shadowy figures either holding me down or just watching me. This time I didn't wait and my mind told me that this was my chance to try to project. So I sat up and started to exit, but the feeling caught me off guard and I started over-thinking it. Before I knew it I fell back in and woke up.

It was the first time I've intentionally exited, but unfortunately I blew it immediately haha. I never felt the presence of the shadows, but it all happened so fast.

Does anyone have any tips on staying out and not psyching yourself back in?

I'm very glad to hear hat your awareness is starting to over come shadow. That's a huge step for most people. You need a task. Something to focus on rather than be so excited just to exit that your emotions snap you out of trance. Also try to cultivate an observers attitude. Dont react so quickly. Easier said than done I'm afraid.

Edited by Seeker79

I'm very glad to hear hat your awareness is starting to over come shadow. That's a huge step for most people. You need a task. Something to focus on rather than be so excited just to exit that your emotions snap you out of trance. Also try to cultivate an observers attitude. Dont react so quickly. Easier said than done I'm afraid.

I will keep that in mind, thank you so much for all your help!

Hey everyone,

Okay, so we have:

Sonicfun1

AstralSeeker

Seeker79

human_eraser

I was thinking a good time to start would be this Sat 10th of March. This would give you time to prepare, get a dream journal started, and any research you may want to do about Atlantis to ease you into the scene.

Now for the instructions.

I would like to suggest a short daily meditation where by you are simply stating to yourself this before each sleep or meditation. Infact write this down on a piece of paper and put it under your pillow or by your bed side table.

"Take me to my consciousness memories and the collective libraries of Atlantis on a level I can consciously recall and process"

*It's important to state ....on a level I can consciously recall and process as you are telling your subconscious to connect to the more conscious part of your consciousness in a form which you can handle.*

From then on, just go to sleep/meditate and allow what will to happen. For those of you who know your guides or have a sense of them. Ask them to work with you on this. And for everyone ask your higher self to work with you too.

Just remember that you approaching this from the neutral observe point of view. You are not judging anything. You must try and stay in that mindset when you are experiencing as well recording anything to post in your journal or here. Do not question or doubt what you experience. Do not allow your mind to question whether you are projecting (if you happen to feel things/cues) try ignore the urge to do that and simply stay connected to the goal of receiving the 'records' from the libraries/collective consciousness. How you experience or see this is completely unique to you. So don't introduce questions or doubts over, how the libraries should look etc. Some people may experience them as books, some may experience them as a guided tour, with own guide on board. Some may experience them as vortex of energy they step into, some may experience simply being there in Alantis like an event, memory, dream, scene, sceniro. Some may experience having a dream of being someone else completely who was there, but seeing the experience from their perspective.

Ok, so The time for reflection will come afterwards and by being able to reflect on the material posted from everyone dreams here as a group, this will help to build momentum and nudge everyone to stay with it and see it out.

If anyone else is interested in joining in please make it known before the end of the week. This will start on Sat the 10th of March and will run until the 31st of March.

Please do not worry about your Astral projecting skills and lack of experience. This is to give a set clear purpose and goal for projecting for which the end result will rely more on your recall abilities than anything. Practise the meditation daily and commit to your dream journal and posting here. That's all that is required other than just going to sleep and letting things happen.

I am going to open an Atlantis Astral Dream thread now for this exercise. We can also record any ponderings that come to us about Atlantis too.

Is it too late to jump in? This sounds extremely interesting. :)

Is it too late to jump in? This sounds extremely interesting. :)

Nope it's not too late, the thread is open and on going for anyone who wants to join in. Always good to have more people along!

Go here - http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223357&view=findpost&p=4269694

• 2 weeks later...

I'm determined to read every post in this topic (I'm only on Page 2, though). lol. But I wanted to come in and share my experience. This evening, I was rather tired, but I decided to try projecting. I know you're not supposed to do it when tired, but I wanted to try anyway.

I laid there for about 20 minutes trying to get focused and clear my mind. I have no idea how people even do that (and this is where I totally struggle), but I tried it anyway. I fell asleep. lol. But I woke up a short time later.

I tried again...laying there, totally relaxed. I started getting these images in my mind, which actually happens to me often. Then, I think I started dreaming, but the next thing I know I felt vibrations and my feet and legs felt like they were lifting up. I also heard a buzzing noise and was like "what the heck is that buzzing noise???"...then I realized it was coming from me. lol. It was like the buzzing was coming from the vibrations or something.

Anyway, I then tried to get up, but I couldn't...and the harder I tried, the more the vibrations started to slow down. For some reason, something told me to think of the "third eye" in my head (weird, but true), so I did. When I did that, the vibrations started getting stronger. I tried to get up again, but couldn't.

Eventually I must have fallen asleep because I woke up a couple of hours later.

So that's it for now, but I will try again soon.

I'm determined to read every post in this topic (I'm only on Page 2, though). lol. But I wanted to come in and share my experience. This evening, I was rather tired, but I decided to try projecting. I know you're not supposed to do it when tired, but I wanted to try anyway.

I laid there for about 20 minutes trying to get focused and clear my mind. I have no idea how people even do that (and this is where I totally struggle), but I tried it anyway. I fell asleep. lol. But I woke up a short time later.

I tried again...laying there, totally relaxed. I started getting these images in my mind, which actually happens to me often. Then, I think I started dreaming, but the next thing I know I felt vibrations and my feet and legs felt like they were lifting up. I also heard a buzzing noise and was like "what the heck is that buzzing noise???"...then I realized it was coming from me. lol. It was like the buzzing was coming from the vibrations or something.

Anyway, I then tried to get up, but I couldn't...and the harder I tried, the more the vibrations started to slow down. For some reason, something told me to think of the "third eye" in my head (weird, but true), so I did. When I did that, the vibrations started getting stronger. I tried to get up again, but couldn't.

Eventually I must have fallen asleep because I woke up a couple of hours later.

So that's it for now, but I will try again soon.

Daaaang that was fast. I told you just a tad deeper. You are going to make a lot of people jealous. You will probably soon say goodbye to your hypnogogic problems or at least play off of them. Tactile spirit body movement may not be for you. Try just letting yourself float out. kind of like you are pushing your body up with your being. Like a magnet is lifting you. It's more profound a feeling at first anyway and will have you in tears.

Good luck im rooting for you.

Edited by Seeker79

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I've joined this forum because I feel I need some advice on Astral Projection. Recently I came accross the concept whilst youtubing about lucid dreaming. Over the last week or so I have watched many video's and read lots of testimonials about astral projection and I'm hooked.

From the all the information I gathered I realised that I would probably have to clear my mind a little before attempting, by reducing some of the more 'toxic' elements of my lifestyle, and perhaps learning to meditate first. I am definitely not 100% 'at peace' with myself so to speak, with little things that I let stress me out. So this was my initial goal, to try and clear my mind and truly relax. I set my self this goal and so far I'm dong quite well.

Anyway, 4 days later (last night), I'm lying in bed listening to a rather relaxing testimonial and start to try a technique described in the video, sort of doing a 'magic eye' with your eyes closed, not expecting anything. I was initially figiting a bit and had to move about to find a comfortable position, but then almost out of nowhere I felt heavy in my legs. I kind of shook it off then for some reason, but then couldn't stop myself from falling into this 'zone' everytime I closed my eyes and focused on this point of light in the centre, I felt incredibly relaxed. I concentrated and suceeded in conciously being in sleep paralysis, but I'm not sure if my eyes were open or not at this point. I tried to bail and had to almost shake myself out of it without actually moving.

I decided to leave it there as I was pretty scared and felt incredibly anxious, heart beating heavy and some shortness of breath, so I think it was actual anxiety. Everytime I then closed my eyes I kept falling into that 'zone' and couldnt control it so kept having to open my eyes and moving my fingers to stay awake. I was telling myself not to think negative thoughts in case I slipped back into it, but then kept visualising all sorts of demon style things that seemed to form out of strands of purple light! At one point lying on my side felt throbbing vibrations that seemed to shake me slightly, but it was low frequency, like 4 or 5 a second. I must have eventually calmed down and fell asleep.

Can anyone share any similar experiences and perhaps provide any tips for avoiding the 'fear' element that I clearly had? Should I learn to meditate first or just go for it now that I know I can probably do it? Thanks in advance!

Darlo86

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i am fairly new to this topic and i need some answers. Ive read up on all of this stuff and tried it last night. I listened to binaural tones for about ten minutes then something came over me. I felt five times as heavy and couldnt move. After that i shook it off and called it a night. Is this what the sleep paralysis step is like.? If so what is the next step?

Can anyone share any similar experiences and perhaps provide any tips for avoiding the 'fear' element that I clearly had? Should I learn to meditate first or just go for it now that I know I can probably do it? Thanks in advance!

Darlo86

I would learn to meditate first as that will help you develop stability for everything else. It will allow you to experience these sensations and consciousness changes under more controlled conditions. Then you can work out if the fear you are feeling is being triggered from stepping out of your boundaries for the first time, or something more than that.

Ok so i am fairly new to this topic and i need some answers. Ive read up on all of this stuff and tried it last night. I listened to binaural tones for about ten minutes then something came over me. I felt five times as heavy and couldnt move. After that i shook it off and called it a night. Is this what the sleep paralysis step is like.? If so what is the next step?

I don't have experience with putting myself into SP deliberately, it's a method i don't personally like.

Well.... You should not be experiencing sleep paralysis. If you are aware that you can't move it means your mind is not in the right place. Try not to focus on that just stay relaxed and hold your awareness. When you feel vibrations then you can attempt an exit. Some don't feel vibrations however. You may just find yourself out. If you think you are in sp just relax and let it sink in.

aw man SP was so scary for me, i never heard of it and i felt like i was going to hell or something. Does SP help in astral projecting? is it related? What are some other good songs to listen to?

aw man SP was so scary for me, i never heard of it and i felt like i was going to hell or something. Does SP help in astral projecting? is it related? What are some other good songs to listen to?

SP is a physiological condition. The state of mind you are in during sp is about a notch ( if there is such a thing) above the level of conciousness for being able to exit the body. This is why it is useful for some people.

Shamanic drumming

Binaural beats

Meditation music

Nature sounds

Really anything that helps you relax.

Drumming and binural beats, however, help to synchronize hemispheres of the brain and propel you toward trance. Similar methods are used in hypnosis, and eye movement Desentisization reprocessing therepy.

Can someone help me contact my spirit guide or spirit animal (I'm not sure what it is)

PM me please? I really want to know.

Can someone help me contact my spirit guide or spirit animal (I'm not sure what it is)

PM me please? I really want to know.

Well.... No one can help you. You just have to do it. The methods on this thread is a good way. There are over ways.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently decided to change my life around. I have studied NDE's and spirituality and believe all to be true. I have started to meditate for a month now and tried ap for the last two weeks with no results. I have tried numerous methods and nothing has worked. Its very frustrating. When I try to project I lie down, relax and kinda of let myself melt away. When I close my eyes I don't see a lot of the neuro flashes or colors, its mostly blackness. I do feel vibrations in my lower limbs, but they are very faint and I ignore them. Ive tried Imaging my chakras moving up through my body to my 3rd eye, I've tried to induce vibrations with thoughts, and even tried self hypnosis. The only thing I can say I experienced was a short loss of consciousness a few times in a session.(my sessions sometimes last for an hour and a half) Nothing has worked. Can anyone help? Thanks

I recently decided to change my life around. I have studied NDE's and spirituality and believe all to be true. I have started to meditate for a month now and tried ap for the last two weeks with no results. I have tried numerous methods and nothing has worked. Its very frustrating. When I try to project I lie down, relax and kinda of let myself melt away. When I close my eyes I don't see a lot of the neuro flashes or colors, its mostly blackness. I do feel vibrations in my lower limbs, but they are very faint and I ignore them. Ive tried Imaging my chakras moving up through my body to my 3rd eye, I've tried to induce vibrations with thoughts, and even tried self hypnosis. The only thing I can say I experienced was a short loss of consciousness a few times in a session.(my sessions sometimes last for an hour and a half) Nothing has worked. Can anyone help? Thanks

At what time are you attempting. For people that are not experienced at meditation... You need prepare yourself a little bit. If I were a doctor I would be calling AP a controlled hypnagogic or hypnotomic trance.

Hypnotomic is comeing out of sleep, most likely the lucid dream method. ( I can't really do this one)

Hypnogogic however, you can obtain either by waking up very early and doing something boring until you have that Groggy feeling. Or just staying up very late ( light sleep deprivation) until you start to feel spacy. ( many shamanic practices involve sleep deprivation to help you shift your conciousness)This will bypass hours and hours of meditation depending on your own natural tendencies. It still can be tricky, however.

When I trouble shoot with people 90% of the time they are not following this advice. Even after they understand it, they still only try when they are going to bed. This is very ineffective because your body is tired at the end of the day and is more probe to just sleep. Or during the day it is to alert. We are working with borderline states of conciousness riding the lines in between, so for a better chance of success, you want to get as close to these lines as possible before you enter the meditation phase.

Once you understand these corrodoors, you can learn to put yourself there faster. But they cannot be explained. Avenues of the mind do not have human words to describe accurately.

Good luck, I hope that helps.

You are correct in thinking Im trying at the wrong type of state. I ignored the advice about trying the 4a.m. method and have been trying a few hours before bed. So I will try that and see how it goes.

Also I am wondering if my medication might be playing a part in my failed attempts. I take cymbalta for anxiety and I notice that I do not dream at all when taking it regularly. But if I miss just one dose I have a dream that night. I know it sounds crazy but I have actually missed doses on purpose just to test my theory and 90% of the time it works. The next day a take my pill and no dream.

So can some medications actually prohibit AP?

Has anyone else experienced issues like mine?

You are correct in thinking Im trying at the wrong type of state. I ignored the advice about trying the 4a.m. method and have been trying a few hours before bed. So I will try that and see how it goes.

Also I am wondering if my medication might be playing a part in my failed attempts. I take cymbalta for anxiety and I notice that I do not dream at all when taking it regularly. But if I miss just one dose I have a dream that night. I know it sounds crazy but I have actually missed doses on purpose just to test my theory and 90% of the time it works. The next day a take my pill and no dream.

They certainly can. But not necessarily. Ap is not dreaming however, so what affects your dreams may not affect ap. dreaming is during rem. the eeg signatures of ap are different.

Doctors do prescribe anti anxiety and depression medication for sleep paralysis problems, and it seems to help the altered state to not occure . But then again they prescribe those for everything that they don't fully understand.

Edited by Seeker79

I think I might have almost succeeded. I started out meditating but added abdominal breathing and focusing on my third eye. The best way I could describe it was my state of mind was normal.....normal.....then click. My awareness was different. It was like before I was focusing on blackness, then all of a sudden I was in it (if that makes any sense) But fear came over me and I tried to soon to project and moved my arms physically.

Might I add to any newbies out their to AP that I think no matter how much you study and try to prepare yourself, the first few times you experience it you will be afraid. I even told myself during my changed state to not be afraid cause I new what was going on but it was to powerful. I think it takes some used to getting too before a successful projection or maybe that's just me :unsure2:

Exactly, text books and reading other peoples experiences can't really prepare you for the actual sensory aspect to it all, but then that is also the beauty of it and it is only with frequency that you accept the shift in consciousness as something not to fear. That was good advice to bring that up constantine337.

Also wanted to add to what seeker said about using sleep deprivation. I have noticed through my own terms and testing that when you stay up beyond a certain length of time which takes you towards the goofyness stage (for me it hits me around the 15 - 18hr mark) sometimes sooner if i have eaten light that day. That once the goofyness starts to calm down, i am already out of my body, its what i call the twilight zone. You feel very relaxed and floaty in this state and i have been able to feel my astral arms independent of my physical arms, as more of your consciousness shifts to your energy/astral body even though you are still awake. Obviously the more practised you are at meditation and shifting consciousness with AP and what not, the more profound this will be felt. When you do finally go to bed, your not even going to go through the exiting process as you are already out. So there is indeed something to it.

On the subject of food and diet, i have had one of those days where i have eaten light, low fat, low carb and i had forgotten what a difference it makes. It really heightens your awareness and sensory perceptions. It's easy to fall into eating patterns where you maybe unconsciously use food to ground yourself, and there is a good reason for it, because the stodgy high carb foods ground you so much you can't feel a damn thing. Try altering what you eat, the amount you eat and see if it helps.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy

I have experienced long bouts of having no dreams when ingesting drugs (in the past) regularly, or somewhat regularly. And, like you, when I stopped I would dream immediately. I think it has to do how deep of a sleep you can get while under the effects of a drug (even residual effects), as opposed to naturally. I can't source that opinion, but all I can say is that I noticed the same lack of dreaming as you did with similar medication or "self medication".

I have experienced long bouts of having no dreams when ingesting drugs (in the past) regularly, or somewhat regularly. And, like you, when I stopped I would dream immediately. I think it has to do how deep of a sleep you can get while under the effects of a drug (even residual effects), as opposed to naturally. I can't source that opinion, but all I can say is that I noticed the same lack of dreaming as you did with similar medication or "self medication".

I think you're on to something about the deep sleep. When I do take my meds regularly I sleep deeper and hardly wake in the night. Almost nothing can wake me up and I have an infant daughter in my room.(good thing for my wife LOL) But when I do fall asleep on meds, its almost instant and like I mentioned before I have absolutely no dreams.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked