Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Remains of giant dinosaur found on Antarctica

Still Waters

Scientists on Antarctica have discovered a fossil of a tail bone belonging to a titanosaur, the family of giant plant-eating dinosaurs.

Titanosaurs were sauropods - four-legged herbivorous dinosaurs with long necks and tails.Their remains have been found around the world but this is the first evidence they may have roamed Antarctica.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• George Ford

• Lilly

• Princess Serenity

Wow. The picture makes 'em look so huge. They certainly look different than all the others.

Wow. The picture makes 'em look so huge. They certainly look different than all the others.

Titanosaurs and sauropods were considered the largest dinosaurs ever, although specifically,

the largest dinosaur ever was a Sauropod called Amphicoelias, it could have grown to as much as

200ft and 120 metric tonnes, in comparison the largest titanosaurs and sauropods,

were anywhere from 60ft-110ft and 100 tonnes in weight.

Hope that helps :)

So is it the biggest land creature to have ever lived?

He is a pic for comparison

http://thexodirectory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Comparing-Amphicoelias-Fragillimus-red-from-other-dinosaurs-and-human.png

Amphicoelias is in red, rest are other large sauropods.

Edited by trick_or_truth

Then there's the 100-tonner with 2-inch legs and lives on hot currys, called 'Ihavegottasoreass' :unsure2:

Maybe its a bone brought by one of Shackleton's dog during his expedition... he went through Argentina before didn't he?

So did the massive ones not have a bit in their genetic code that stopped them from growing. 120 tonnes is so big I can't picture a creature that big im my head. Wonder how big its prick was.

Edited by bulveye

• 2 weeks later...

So is it the biggest land creature to have ever lived?

The Blue Whale still holds that title.

I have been expecting for some good finds from the Antarctic, just a difficult place to search. Thinking about places like Lake Vostok, the Lake water there may have been isolated from modern atmosphere for possibly as long as 15-20 million years. If we find good specimens of Wooly Mammoth in permafrost, I wonder what secrets Antarctica might hold in it's icy depths?

Edited by psyche101

.......... I wonder what secrets Antarctica might hold in it's icy depths?

Jimmy Hoffa? (joking)

Likewise, our oceans and seas must be a treasure trove but as you say, tis very difficult to recover said treasure when you have the elements and environment working against you.

I have been expecting for some good finds from the Antarctic, just a difficult place to search. Thinking about places like Lake Vostok, the Lake water there may have been isolated from modern atmosphere for possibly as long as 15-20 million years. If we find good specimens of Wooly Mammoth in permafrost, I wonder what secrets Antarctica might hold in it's icy depths?

The reason there is a lake there is that under the lake is a giant spaceship still giving off heat from the engines that are ticking over! There is a monster in it that absorbs living creatures and can mimic them!

Totally 100% true as I saw it on a movie style documentary called 'The Thing'. :devil::P;)

Titanosaurs and sauropods were considered the largest dinosaurs ever, although specifically,

the largest dinosaur ever was a Sauropod called Amphicoelias, it could have grown to as much as

200ft and 120 metric tonnes, in comparison the largest titanosaurs and sauropods,

were anywhere from 60ft-110ft and 100 tonnes in weight.

Hope that helps :)

He is a pic for comparison

http://thexodirectory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Comparing-Amphicoelias-Fragillimus-red-from-other-dinosaurs-and-human.png

Amphicoelias is in red, rest are other large sauropods.

Thanks.

Holy! That is huge! O_O;

How is it possible for it to be so big? I've heard numerous stories. That animals can only get so big. Before their weight would crush them.

So did the massive ones not have a bit in their genetic code that stopped them from growing. 120 tonnes is so big I can't picture a creature that big im my head. Wonder how big its prick was.

Actually, male dinosaurs may not have had a penis (at least in the sense that mammals do). See link here for details.

Jimmy Hoffa? (joking)

Likewise, our oceans and seas must be a treasure trove but as you say, tis very difficult to recover said treasure when you have the elements and environment working against you.

Maybe a whole Mafia stash? :D

I am sure that the ocean floors hold many surprises and wonderful discoveries, but I was thinking the ice might even preserve something that we have not seen before. I Figure that ice might have some neat surprises suspended in it.

The reason there is a lake there is that under the lake is a giant spaceship still giving off heat from the engines that are ticking over! There is a monster in it that absorbs living creatures and can mimic them!

Totally 100% true as I saw it on a movie style documentary called 'The Thing'. :devil::P;)

I am afraid that is no true at all, it is an urban legend. Supermans Fortress of Solitude is the only Alien structure out there.

Actually, male dinosaurs may not have had a penis (at least in the sense that mammals do). See link here for details.

:huh:

Wow! Stands to reason, but who would have thunk it!

I think you need one of these to pass out. :D

owned9wz.jpg

"Who Goes There" is such an awesome book! Not to take away from the films except for the latest remake which I haven't seen...

The Blue Whale still holds that title.

Yeah, if it grows legs first and starts walking on land, lol.