Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Family of mountain gorillas groom tourist

Still Waters

An American tourist had the experience of a life-time while on a gorilla-watching tour in Uganda.

The man, known only as John, had a close encounter with a group of wild mountain gorillas near the Bwindi National Park.

In a video detailing the experience he can be seen cowering while a family of apes crowds around him.

Scroll down for video

arrow3.gifRead more...

I've seen David Attenborough in this situation, but wow, what an amazing experience.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NatureBoff

• sarah_444

• psyche101

• dreamgoddess11

I've seen David Attenborough in this situation, but wow, what an amazing experience.

What a wonderful experiance. Lucky guy. I think these animals are amazing !!!

Well, I'm certainly not envious, but that's quite a sight! I could see that those gorillas each had their own personality. Quite a sight, indeed.

It is could he stayed submissive the whole time, was already sitting down and didn't make much eye contact..I know other individuals prob would make too much eye contact ect..would could be determintal with a silver back with youngsters in the group. Anywho that was so heart warming and amazing to see, I love animals! They were so warming as a group!

Has anyone seen the documentary 'A Family Portrait' that viewed on cable TV some years ago? It was absolutely amazing! It totally blew apart theories about how gorillas 'should' behave that have come out of the wild due to being orphaned and brought together from different family groups. It was so moving I confess I cried. I phoned the cable channel that showed it and asked when it would be repeated. They said the rights to the documentary had been bought (but could not say by who) so the channel could not show it again. It has mysteriously disappeared it appears. I suppose someone did not like people realising how loving and caring gorillas really are. The documentary showed behaviour that would put humans to shame. Not that that seems a difficult thing to do.

But if anyone does know where I can get this documentary on CD let me know.

• 1 month later...

2:42, when the baby is checking him out, and the huge gorilla is watching it all happen, I would have been crapping myself if it were me.

I was holding my breath FOR the guy :w00t: awesom......

What an awesome experience! Love the big boy checking on his family. Wish my kids behaved so well! Lol

I would never let an animal that can overpower and kill me touch me. I don't have enough trust for that.

• 1 year later...

I saw this somewhere else a while ago but it's always a nice video to come across. It would be really something amazing to experience first hand. :yes:

Thanks for posting it!

They are so friendly.

This is amazing to see, and the babies. I so hope they never get hunted, its heartbreaking to even think about it.

These obviously have not had to deal with the nasty side of mankind as they are so so friendly...please let it stay that way.

Fantastic video.

Incredible. I wonder if it is foolish to interact with wild gorillas. I would of thought most the time they would kill you, especially a silverback with children is present. Once in a lifetime experience, lucky guys.

Really interesting to see!

Good thing I wasn't there. They would probably consider it "Ruining" the experience by me screaming at the top of my lungs and taking off into the dense jungle. I would be easy to find though. Just follow the scent of urine.

2:42, when the baby is checking him out, and the huge gorilla is watching it all happen, I would have been crapping myself if it were me.

i think he was, just by the way he was sitting. :yes: