Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

St Elmos fire. Is it just a legend?

George Ford

I was looking for a photo of this alleged phenomenon but there are no photos of it on google, only drawings or illustrations. Well I could draw a Bigfoot but it does not mean they exist. Any ideas why there are no photos?

_Edited_

(for spelling mistake)

Edited by bulveye

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Ford

• willowdreams

• Anon E. Mouse

• linttrap

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo's_fire

electrical phenomena...it's real

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo's_fire

electrical phenomena...it's real

Anyone can write a wiki page:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakob_Maria_Mierscheid

This guy keeps appearing on German political wiki entries. But he does not exist.

Why no photos of St Elmos' Fire?

I was looking for a photo of this alleged phenomenon but there are no photos of it on google, only drawings or illustrations. Well I could draw a Bigfoot but it does not mean they exist. Any ideas why there are no photos?

_Edited_

(for spelling mistake)

http://thesailor.hubpages.com/hub/The-Amazing-St-Elmos-Fire

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-12-ufos-ball.html

Edited by willowdreams

Thank you for the link but none of those photos are convincing, one is just lightening. And the planes wing could just be blocking the moon or sun. The 1st photo (the purple one) could be anything.

Perhaps having it strike you would be sufficient proof?

There's plenty of it around for scientists to study and describe in some detail.

nightvision-StElmosFire.jpg

St. Elmo’s fire sometimes looks similar to lightning but it is a separate meteorological phenomenon. Although called “fire,” St. Elmo’s fire is a luminous plasma that can glow a bright blue or violet. It can also appear like an eerie fire burning at the top of tall, pointed structures like ship masts or aircraft wings. It has also been reported on leaves, grass, and tips of cattle horns during a stampede.

Unlike the thunderous boom which follows lightning, St. Elmo’s fire can be heard “singing” on an aircraft’s radio, a frying hiss or buzzing sound running up and down the musical scale. It is often as a precursor to a lightning strike.

Sailors would regard St. Elmo’s fire with religious awe, an omen of heavenly intervention. It was named after St. Erasmus of Formiae, the patron saint of sailors. It has been recorded over the centuries, starting with the ancient Greeks, Julius Caesar, Columbus and Magellan. After Benjamin Franklin’s lightning rod, the phenomenon was seen more on land, sparking fear as the ghostly blue flames inspired stories of spirits and hauntings.

How about a video from the USAF?

How about it sparking around the cockpit window?

Perhaps having it strike you would be sufficient proof?

There's plenty of it around for scientists to study and describe in some detail.

heh, sorry.. found that part funny.. but apt!

I think people expect it to somehow be more 'spectacular', though to me it is wonderful enough without having to make it more so.

then again, i find lightening in all its forms to be spectacular! I find most storms beautiful, even though they are/can be deadly.

Ok, Thank you for the videos.

I was expecting it to be an aurora around the plane in the 1st video, but I see now it was more like the planes were connected by lightening. The green cockpit video is more what I was thinking it might be like, the way it was dancing up and down the metal frame of the window!!

So thank you, you found the proof I needed. I agree it's real. I'd love to see some in real life.

I hit my computer screen like five times thanks to that signature, Willowdreams.

***rofl*** I am sooooooooooooo sorry *shaking my head as i say this*

• 6 months later...

awsome

Lightning can be beautiful. Are you familiar with a recording done about 30 years ago in California. The lightning, thunder and rain were intertwined with music. A real nice late night with glass of wine listening.

texaskat