Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A different kind of Christianity

ambelamba

I believe that there were many different kinds of Christianity in the era of early churches. Well, what if Christianity was like this: Jesus as a teacher and prophet sent by God (or Gods) who was strictly a human and never the son of God?

If there was a sect like this, their theology could have been completely different from Christianity as we know it. Imagine a kind of Christianity that rejects the idea of Trinity and...well, basically I am talking about a Jewish sect that regards Jesus as a valid prophet, not necessarily the messiah. Could have it survived? I believe that the closest one was the Ebionites, and they were pretty much gone in early church history.

You know, I believe that a religion should have some outlandish claim to attract people. If a religion is too reasonable and logical, it won't attract that many people. Perhaps some intelligent people though, but will never attract poor and oppressed people. Karl Marx should have said that religion is the painkiller of people. (the word opium gave a completely negative light on his quote...)

In a way, a religion is like a Bollywood movie. It's gotta have some silly stuff. I guess The Dark Knight had few audiences in India. It's kinda like that. Religion thrives on comforting the people. And yes, I believe that religion is like a stimpak, too.

Ebionites did not survive after a couple of generations. If there was a religion that regards Jesus strictly as a teacher and prophet, it wouldn't have attracted that many people as Theistic Christianity did. But if it existed and survived, it could have been a much better religion than Christianity as we know it, especially the fundamentalist one.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ambelamba

• MissMelsWell

• Godsnmbr1

• FLOMBIE

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that there were many different kinds of Christianity in the era of early churches. Well, what if Christianity was like this: Jesus as a teacher and prophet sent by God (or Gods) who was strictly a human and never the son of God?

[...]

That sounds a bit like Islam. There Jesus is a prophet, but not the son of god.

That sounds a bit like Islam. There Jesus is a prophet, but not the son of god.

Yeah, but I am talking about something deeply rooted in Judaism.

If there was a sect like this, their theology could have been completely different from Christianity as we know it. Imagine a kind of Christianity that rejects the idea of Trinity and...well, basically I am talking about a Jewish sect that regards Jesus as a valid prophet, not necessarily the messiah. Could have it survived? I believe that the closest one was the Ebionites, and they were pretty much gone in early church history.

You kind of just described what a lot of Quakers believe...although they aren't an ancient religion; they more or less started as a cult around the time of the Reformation. In many ways, they have very logical beliefs, and, you guessed it, their numbers are short. A decided lack of iconism, ritual, and even formal leadership, makes their numbers sparse indeed.

I'm thinking Jesus was just some little Jewish Rabbi that had a very deep and profound near death experience and Christianity at it's very heart is a near death experience religion and the New Testament is basically just a highly embellished and out of sequence near death experience story.

When that soldier stuck his spear in Jesus side he hit the pericardium which released the fluid build-up around Jesus heart. The Romans were in a hurry to get him down from the cross because if they left a body up on the cross over the Sabbath it was considered blasphemy and the Jews would riot so they very quickly cut him down after they stuck him, and the resulting "whomp" on the ground restarted his heart to beating, albeit slowly, and he was in a very deep and profound coma at that point. So the women were given the body to clean and they bound his wounds and wrapped him up and laid in that cool dark tomb where he lay for three days. After the third day he awoke from his coma and proceeded to talk about what he experienced while in Heaven.

He had to use stories comparing what heaven was like to things they would understand like this side. Like the story about the vineyard owner that hires workers and when they get to the other side they all get paid the same thing even though they worked a different number of hours. When Jesus prayed in the garden he was asking God that his followers be able to experience the oneness and connectedness that he had experienced while in heaven, which is identical to what many near death experiencers comment on. The Church was supposed to be a piece of heaven here on Earth, a respite from the world. That was Jesus original intention.