Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman sues man killed by train

The Caspian Hare

Calling it a "tragically bizarre" case, an Illinois appeals court has ruled that a man killed by a train while crossing the tracks at a Chicago Metra station can be held responsible after part of his body struck and injured a bystander.

In 2008, Hiroyuki Joho, 18, was hurrying in the pouring rain with an umbrella over his head, trying to catch a Metra train, when he was struck by an Amtrak train traveling at more than 70 mph.

A large portion of his body flew about 100 feet onto the southbound platform, where it struck Gayane Zokhrabov, then 58. She was knocked to the ground, her leg and wrist broken and her shoulder injured.

After noting that the case law involving "flying bodies" is sparse, it ruled that "it was reasonably foreseeable" that the high-speed train would kill Joho and fling his body toward a platform where people were waiting.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-train-death-lawsuit-20111229,0,1119897.story

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• OverSword

• Omnaka

• Fluffybunny

I wonder if he will show up to defend himself?

Sounds like his estate is worth chasing.

I like the bottom line of the article....

"If you do something as stupid as this guy did, you have to be responsible for what comes from it," she said.

<ducks to avoid the mad rush of UM members on their way to check their indemnity insurance against parts of their mangled corpse causing third party damage> :lol:

I like the bottom line of the article....

"If you do something as stupid as this guy did, you have to be responsible for what comes from it," she said.

<ducks to avoid the mad rush of UM members on their way to check their indemnity insurance against parts of their mangled corpse causing third party damage> :lol:

OK, if he meant to kill himself and had no disregard for other people's safety, I can see that someone would be p***ed at being hurt so badly. He was

was hurrying in the pouring rain with an umbrella over his head, trying to catch a Metra train,
he was just trying ti get the train! And let's not forget the poor buggar died! Why wasn't HIS family suing the train for some cockamamie reason?

Wow. That's one self-righteous, entitled bi***. They had it right the first time. Friggin' appellate court.

I feel sorry for the poor guy. Only 18, rushing across the tracks smiling and then whack - wiped away. Its not good the other girl recieved those injuries but just leave it at that. The guys dead.

Good grief some people have nothing better to do than tie up the the courts with stupid claims. She sounds like the crazy woman who yells at kids for playing close to her house.

200px-Crazycatlady.jpg

Nay, she'd be the one to sue because the coffee was hot and she spilled it cause she was driving when she took a drink

Leslie Rosen, who handled Zokhrabov's appeal, said although the circumstances were "very peculiar and gory and creepy," it was a straightforward negligence case, no different than if a train passenger had been injured after the engineer hit the brakes.<br style="font-family: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; text-align: left; "><br style="font-family: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; text-align: left; ">"If you do something as stupid as this guy did, you have to be responsible for what comes from it," she said.

He is DEAD you stupid woman... I swear people like this really annoy me... Where does she think she will get the money from? She should be utterly ashamed of herself...

The 1st judge to throw it out was the only one with real sense... What people will go for to get money is effing ridiculous ..

If I were a member of that young guys' family who was killed... I would sue that silly wench for emotional distress and harassment ...God knows she deserves it.. I find what she is doing is down right disrespectful

There should be a law against stupid brain-dead lawsuits

Edited by Beckys_Mom

This is appalling... unbelievable, is this what we have come to? So greedy for monetary benefits that in reality don't exist and will probably be worthless by within a few yrs, this lady should be locked up for lack of empathy , being a psycho and other charges of harassment against the family of the dead young man. Or she should be put into an asylum. I agree if she does have "serious" injuries than the state should take care of it, under such circumstances it should be the gov taking care of this dumb lady, the kid was 18, HE DIED, i think he got screwed pretty bad already, btw a judicial system which allows a dumb lady like her to win uder these circumstances should be looked over and reformed.

People need to realize just how much money this woman's injuries likely cost her. I'm guessing her hospital bills before the insurance kicked in including medication and rehabilitation were around $50,000 to $100,000, depending on if they were just fractures or serious broken bones. her part of that bill could be $5,000 to $15,000, assuming she had insurance. Figure in to that lost wages. If she is poor and or uninsured she probably lost everything but her life, all because some idiot wasn't paying attention to his surroundings at a train station. And who crosses tracks at a train station anyway?

People need to realize just how much money this woman's injuries likely cost her. I'm guessing her hospital bills before the insurance kicked in including medication and rehabilitation were around $50,000 to $100,000, depending on if they were just fractures or serious broken bones. her part of that bill could be $5,000 to $15,000, assuming she had insurance. Figure in to that lost wages. If she is poor and or uninsured she probably lost everything but her life, all because some idiot wasn't paying attention to his surroundings at a train station. And who crosses tracks at a train station anyway?

I seriously hope this is a joke post.

He is DEAD you stupid woman... I swear people like this really annoy me... Where does she think she will get the money from? She should be utterly ashamed of herself...

The 1st judge to throw it out was the only one with real sense... What people will go for to get money is effing ridiculous ..

If I were a member of that young guys' family who was killed... I would sue that silly wench for emotional distress and harassment ...God knows she deserves it.. I find what she is doing is down right disrespectful

There should be a law against stupid brain-dead lawsuits

Ha! If I was a member of that poor guys family I'd dig up her most recently deceased family member and beat her to within an inch of her life with one of it's arms.

This is appalling... unbelievable, is this what we have come to? So greedy for monetary benefits that in reality don't exist and will probably be worthless by within a few yrs, this lady should be locked up for lack of empathy , being a psycho and other charges of harassment against the family of the dead young man. Or she should be put into an asylum. I agree if she does have "serious" injuries than the state should take care of it, under such circumstances it should be the gov taking care of this dumb lady, the kid was 18, HE DIED, i think he got screwed pretty bad already, btw a judicial system which allows a dumb lady like her to win uder these circumstances should be looked over and reformed.

Yes this is what humans have become. Just a bunch of chimps in trousers really.

The poor guys family should not have to suffer as a consequence of your ill conceived medical system. If this kind of litigation is the sort of thing we've got to look forward to under a privatised medical system I dread the day the Tories get their way.

I seriously hope this is a joke post.

It's not. Why do you hope this is a joke post? Because you think this this woman is just some self serving greed monster out for money? Go break an arm and a leg at the same time and get back to me.

It's not. Why do you hope this is a joke post? Because you think this this woman is just some self serving greed monster out for money? Go break an arm and a leg at the same time and get back to me.

She's. Suing. A. ****ing. Corpse.

She's. Suing. A. ****ing. Corpse.

She's suing his estate. For all you know the guy was worth alot of money at the time of his death. If he wasn't I'm sure no legal team would waste thier time trying to help her recoup her losses.

If this kind of litigation is the sort of thing we've got to look forward to under a privatised medical system I dread the day the Tories get their way.

Amen to that brother. But the truth is they will either get it like this or by having a ridiculous %50 income tax.

She's suing his estate. For all you know the guy was worth alot of money at the time of his death. If he wasn't I'm sure no legal team would waste thier time trying to help her recoup her losses.

And you think making the family of the deceased man pay is a perfectly reasonable, non-dickish thing to do?

Edited by Der

And you think making the family of the deceased man pay is a perfectly reasonable, non-dickish thing to do?

It's obvious you have no idea how this kind of thing really works. If he left money to his family then it will come out of that but it won't cost them any of thier own money.