Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

18 times more topics in TV forum than here

tapirmusic

Kind of sad...

Well, I love to read.

How about some suggestions?

I'll read fiction or non-fiction.

My favorites are horror :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tapirmusic

• buckskin scout

• sandlot

• Finder of Lost Things

F. Paul Wilson. Specifically his Repairman Jack series which intersects with the Adversary series....probably should start with The Keep.

Yeah.. It does seem like hardly anyone does read. I've only posted in this part of the forum once, about the Mothman prophecies. :unsure2:

I myself go through at least two books a week. :rofl:

Since you like horror, have you read anything by Stephen King or Anne Rice?

The Nightlife series by Rob Thurman is also good, although it is humorous too because of the main character's sarcasm. :yes:

I love a good read and have hundreds of books that I've read more than a couple of times. :geek: They are mostly all horror, science fiction and fantasy really. Most kids today wont read a book unless it can fit on their iPhone or iPad :rolleyes: .

yeah i do believe that reading is a slowly dying past time. i believe that it is not TV shows and movies to blame as much as gaming. Video games are becoming larger,some are more complex, have good story lines and have very high immersion factors now. But that being said there obviously is still a good market in books with the popularity of the e-readers like the kindle and the nook. i believe that nothing beats a good book.

I have asked this in another topic before and got some great suggestions but i was wondering if someone could recommend a good book or author for me. I am looking for a fantasy/ horror story with the classic christian good vs evil battle as in heaven and hell. I really enjoyed the Word and the Void series by terry brooks. Something kinda like that i guess.

If I am having trouble coming up with a new series of books to read and want something similar to what I have already read and liked I go to Amazon and type in a book I read and liked go to it's "page". Usually under the book description is the "customers who bought this item also bought" area and you can usually find similar books. Just click on em and look the descriptions and reviews till you find something appealing. When I looked at Terry Brooks Running With The Demon there were several other books/authors who popped up, Terry Goodkind among them whom my son really likes and keeps trying to get me to read. Amazon will also give you recommendations based on your wish list and things you've looked at in the past and they don't do half bad.

thanks for the suggestions.

I'm currently reading Steven King's newest one. It's interesting...but not horror...

Vampires aren't my thing, but I may give Ann Rice a go anyway.

;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although not in the horror genre, Stephen King's "Under the Dome" has to rate as one of the best books I've read.

The best series has to be the Night Watch series of books by a Russian author, Sergei Lukyanenko: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(Lukyanenko_novel)

for a 1,000+ page book Under the Dome was absolutely pedal to the metal nonstop action. The premise was kind of retarded, but the characters in that one were superb!

The best of King personally are Carrie, The Shining, Salem's Lot, The Long Walk (Bachman), The Dead Zone, Cujo, IT, and The Green Mile.

And his collections Night Shift, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, and Nightmares & Dreamscapes.

The first few books of The Dark Tower are worth reading. Especially love the 2nd and 3rd books.

I loved Isaac Asimov's "The God's Themselves". Probably one of the best sci fi books I've ever read. Also " Dune" rocks!

I just realized I didn't write down the author of "Dune" . Frank Herbert, but you probably already knew that! LOL! :tu:

Edited by TransparentReality

I was thinking exactly the same as the OP. I'd rather read than watch TV any time. And my preference is for non-fiction.

I am quite surprised that the books section has such low traffic. Considering the nature of these boards I thought there would be a lot more readers than there seem to be.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah it is kind of sad nobody reads anymore. I find that most books are better than the movies that follow. I like the old classics. When I go to the library I search for the beat up looking books with no pictures on the cover. That's how I know it's what I'll like.

Although I read mostly non fiction books about 2 a week, there are few authors out there who attracted my ecclectic attention like Neil Stevenson, Tony Hillerman with an entirely different genre. On fiction book that left a mark with an all together different type of story would be Mqrk Frost's List of 7. He is more known for his TV serie Twin Peak (which I admit seeing once on DVD), but the book is awesome. Currenrly I'm reading Edouard Shuré's Great Initiates, a very intelligent work.

Edited by Paracelse

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of sad...

Well, I love to read.

How about some suggestions?

I'll read fiction or non-fiction.

My favorites are horror :)

I can only suggest all of Stephen King......

As for your topic, I really think technology is/jhas ruining/ruined the world myself.........But that is another topic :)

• 1 month later...

i'm reminded of a saying, there's no crime in not knowing how to read, the crime is knowing how but choosing not to..

i guess it only hurts the person who chooses not to read? (..and those stuck interacting with him/her? hehe)

these days i cheat and get audiobooks for my mp3 player.. most of them are doco's and lectures tho'

the wheel of time series by robert jordan is my current love, i'm finding a lot of parallels to real world mythology and religions in them too, only on the 4th book now but i'm yet to be dissapointed (they're more fantasy than horror)

...technology is/jhas ruining/ruined the world...

i know what you mean.. but without it, we wouldn't be having this interchange? (almost typed 'discussion' hehe)

..it's just the love of convenience associated with it (tech) that's done the damage.. it's like,, all those devices ought to have come with warning labels [this is going to **** up your life, use at own risk] ..but then, i think this was intended with the advent (and stagnation) of technology [..there's another topic]

I can only suggest all of Stephen King......

Generally, IMO, Stephen King's best work he wrote between 1974 through 1984, read all of this (I didnt like Firestarter and Christine however). He was slamming em outta the park. After IT, he begins to hit alot of grounders and foul balls. I like very few of his books after IT.

As far as Dark Tower books go, the first four books is really all one needs to read even though the story remains incomplete.

Stephen King is an excellent short story writer BUT I only love his first three collections, Night Shift, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew... and including Nightmares & Dreamscapes. After that there is alot of meh.

Edited by dside