Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PETA demands highway memorials for cows

Still Waters

The animal rights group known for risque anti-fur campaigns and 'Meat is Murder' slogan, is going one step further to give dead cows a memorial reserved for human victims.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals want to buy highway markers in memory of cattle killed when trucks hauling them flipped to remind truck drivers of their responsibility to safely transport their cargo.

The animal rights group has asked for permission to buy the markers, one in suburban Chicago and one northwest of Peoria in honour of the 20 or so cows that died because of negligent driving this year.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Englishgent

• Doctor_Strangelove

• Rocketgirl33

• d e v i c e

I guess if PETA wants to spend their funds that way I don't see the harm in moo markers. I do kind of grimace thinking about what such a marker would look like considering it is PETA.

Me, I think instead of wasting money engaging in a battle over this issue, perhaps they should as an alternative adopt a section of highway in honor of the cows.

CHICAGO — An animal rights group wants Illinois to install highway signs in memory of cattle killed when trucks hauling them flipped in two separate wrecks.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has asked for permission to buy the markers, one in suburban Chicago and one northwest of Peoria. The group says the signs would pay tribute to the more than 20 cattle killed as a result of negligent driving this year.

Clickity Click the Linkity Link

I think it's a good idea. Lots of beef went to waste that day.

God, shut up, P.E.T.A.

I'm all for treating animals ethically, but I think P.E.T.A. loses their message in all their crazy. Plus they taste amazing.

I have an idea. Why doesn't P.E.T.A. put up memorials for the thousands of animals that they kill every year?

Picture23.png

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/proof/ (In no way am I endorsing this website nor do I necessarily agree with it. I just pulled the info from it)

Now of course I understand that there are many many reasons that an animal must be put down, I just find it hilarious how many cats and dogs P.E.T.A. puts down every year.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Whats next, memorials for all roadkill? I thought a stain of blood and a tuft of hair was enough.

PETA is it's own worst enemy. If they toned down their rhetoric and outrageous demands they might actually accomplish something. As it is most people view them as total nutjobs.

And what do PETA propose to do for all the BILLIONS of insects which meet their fate splattered on the windscreens and radiators of motor vehicles? This slaughter must not go in recognised!

There is room for all Gods creatures..... right next to the mashed potato's.

LMAO!!! You're awesome!

I really am starting to hate PETA some of the things they have suggested are not only silly in my mind, by very hurtful to other people (the Picton/turkey billboards). They have their beliefs and way that they run their lives, what makes them think they can tell us how to live and it will not get us miffed at them? They are idiots IMO.

I can't hardly believe this, but with those dopes nothing surprises me anymore. Someone should inform them of all the carnivores on this planet that are NOT human. I would love to see them go have a talk with a hungry lion or tiger. Tell the snake it can not eat the cute little bunnies. I think they are all a bunch of idiots with to much time on their hands. If they really want to help maybe they should lobby for tougher restrictions on our food additives, or less drugs in our meat. Do something real that would benefit mankind instead of wasting time.I have had a few conversations with some of these guys and they just don't get it. I think to many mothers dropping to many babies on their heads.

Rocketgirl B)

Hippy: "Hey, we taught a lion to eat tofu"

Lion: *anemic cough*

Futurama.

All I'm sensing in these comments is anger. Over what? Some people who love animals? Effin ridiculous. PETA are on the right path. One day people will see that humans are as thoughtless and cruel towards the animals as they are toward each other. Go PETA!

All I'm sensing in these comments is anger. Over what? Some people who love animals? Effin ridiculous. PETA are on the right path. One day people will see that humans are as thoughtless and cruel towards the animals as they are toward each other. Go PETA!

My comment was more of a smart **** reaction than any anger. The notion of building memorials for cattle killed in a vehicle accident as they were being whisked to slaughter is just ridiculous and detrimental to their cause. I agree that the way we as a species treat animals is appalling, but whining about cattle killed by accident on the road whilst there are millions of other problems in the world makes the whole animal rights movement appear as a farce reserved for only the most self-righteous. PETA make themselves look so ridiculous, that they make anyone else interested in similar causes look like a joke. They make it difficult to take animal rights seriously and they turn people away from vegetarianism and veganism. PETA is god awful.

My comment was more of a smart **** reaction than any anger. The notion of building memorials for cattle killed in a vehicle accident as they were being whisked to slaughter is just ridiculous and detrimental to their cause. I agree that the way we as a species treat animals is appalling, but whining about cattle killed by accident on the road whilst there are millions of other problems in the world makes the whole animal rights movement appear as a farce reserved for only the most self-righteous. PETA make themselves look so ridiculous, that they make anyone else interested in similar causes look like a joke. They make it difficult to take animal rights seriously and they turn people away from vegetarianism and veganism. PETA is god awful.

Lol. Fair enoough Dr_Strangelove but I do disagree. It's true that PETA have done things that may have caused people to look away but whatever way I look at it, their intention - to stand up for and defend the rights of animals, even put their own bodies on the line for them - is heroic. Yes, there are many other problems in the world, but nevertheless - the mistreatment of animals is also a problem. Vegetarianism and veganism? Well, I dont expect people to suddenly change at the drop of a hat. Putting up road side memorials? It's good! It's a show of love :lol:

I love animals as much as anyone, but PETA, not so much.

I think the money would be better spent, feeding and caring for live animals in shelters, than on memorials to dead cows. What would that even accomplish? The continued 'fringinization' of organizations like PETA?:huh:

Besides, think of all the potential for accidents, with people zipping past at whatever MPH, taking their eyes off the road asking "what the f---" ?:cry:SCREECH....!

I guess if PETA wants to spend their funds that way I don't see the harm in moo markers. I do kind of grimace thinking about what such a marker would look like considering it is PETA.

Me, I think instead of wasting money engaging in a battle over this issue, perhaps they should as an alternative adopt a section of highway in honor of the cows.

Maybe they should just adopt all the cows :)

I dont sense anger at all. What I sense is disbelief which IMO is rightly justified. Nobody likes to see animals maltreated and the transport of such animals as cows, pigs, sheep etc to the slaughterhouse should be as comfortable as possible. But we do eat meat and it isnt going to stop. Putting a memorial on a road for some dead cows is stupid and a total waste of money. As has been said, they could put that money to better use if they truly want to make a useful contribution to animal welfare.

I dont sense anger at all. What I sense is disbelief which IMO is rightly justified. Nobody likes to see animals maltreated and the transport of such animals as cows, pigs, sheep etc to the slaughterhouse should be as comfortable as possible. But we do eat meat and it isnt going to stop. Putting a memorial on a road for some dead cows is stupid and a total waste of money. As has been said, they could put that money to better use if they truly want to make a useful contribution to animal welfare.

Ok, disbelief. But all you're saying is: keep things the way they are - nothings wrong. That's just apathy toward the animals and also to mans welfare. I think they should put those signs up and let it slowly sink in how far off the path man is when it comes to respecting all living things. I dont expect meat to disappear from peoples menus overnight - but I do welcome it.

Ok, disbelief. But all you're saying is: keep things the way they are - nothings wrong. That's just apathy toward the animals and also to mans welfare. I think they should put those signs up and let it slowly sink in how far off the path man is when it comes to respecting all living things. I dont expect meat to disappear from peoples menus overnight - but I do welcome it.

Where did I say ''keep things as they are - nothing's wrong?''

What I said was, words to the effect of, use the money a little more wisely, in a manner which will help animals and wont make PETA look rather silly. It only alienates people from their cause and in a lot of cases stops people from making donations.. I respect what they are trying to acheive just as I respect a lot (not all) of what the RSPCA are doing in the UK.

And dont hold your breath on meat disappearing from menu's. It never will. Humans were not designed to eat purely vegatables. :)

Edited by Englishgent

Where did I say ''keep things as they are - nothing's wrong?''

What I said was, words to the effect of, use the money a little more wisely, in a manner which will help animals and wont make PETA look rather silly. It only alienates people from their cause and in a lot of cases stops people from making donations.. I respect what they are trying to acheive just as I respect a lot (not all) of what the RSPCA are doing in the UK.

And dont hold your breath on meat disappearing from menu's. It never will. Humans were not designed to eat purely vegatables. :)

Ok, points taken Englishgent. But I will end by saying this: If man is to evolve in a direction beneficial to himself and to his environment and planet - to his soul, so to speak - then the killing of animals will have to disappear. Man will figure out ways to compensate for that as he goes. I firmly believe that.:)

Ok, points taken Englishgent. But I will end by saying this: If man is to evolve in a direction beneficial to himself and to his environment and planet - to his soul, so to speak - then the killing of animals will have to disappear. Man will figure out ways to compensate for that as he goes. I firmly believe that.:)

Well, maybe if we dont blow ourselves to smithereens we will live on this planet long enough to evolve in such a way that we can live off vegatables alone. I just hope they find a way of making brussel sprouts taste nice :)

edit....and carrots, and parsnips, and turnips and cabbage and specially,,,,,celery :wacko:

Edited by Englishgent