Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hyperreality

-vv-

More people are engaged with games and social media in an Internet hyperreality word, where the symbols become more real than people. Scientists talking about the existence of other dimensions and the relativity of time open up our concept of reality. The use of the money has become the trading of digital ones and zeros with a credit or debit card for goods.

What is real and what is fiction when they are blended together, when there is no clear distinction between where one ends and the other begins. Hyperreality It is a postmodern philosophy that deals in part with semiotics, or the study of the signs. Some famous theorists of hyperreality include Jean Baudrillard, Albert Borgmann, Daniel Boorstin, and Umberto Eco.

The recent wave of TV shows, movies and books devoted to paranormal phenomena are actually part of this larger trend incorporating alternate realities, a realm media analysts call hperreality. As the line between what is real and what is an altered representation became blurred, anything can be truly real in the age of mass media.

Now, let’s talk about the paranormal phenomena…

Rererences

Hyperreality - by Viviana Gomez - http://skepticsvsbelievers.blogspot.com/

^ Umberto Eco, Travels In Hyperreality, New York, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich

Baudrillard, "Simulacra and Simulations,"

What is Hyperreality? By Garry Crystal http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-hyperreality.htm

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -vv-

• Clarakore

• Drayno

• and-then

Reality is more than enough to keep me occupied :wacko: I find that most of what is defined as hyper reality disappears when the electricity fails. Think about it...

Reality is more than enough to keep me occupied :wacko: I find that most of what is defined as hyper reality disappears when the electricity fails. Think about it...

lol... that is totally right for me, but think about this: religions couldn't be so successful without the hyperrality phenomena, when an angel can be so real as your electricity bill

I read about this a few years ago. We are diluting reality. In my opinion it began before the digital age. Take love which requires action, experience, and a relationship. We can trick ourselves to think we love others even without the necessary requirements. Just by saying it we can believe it. Thus a word has taken the place of real love. Add in the internet and it becomes <3 which when used hardly is backed up by a real love.

It is a problem even if one favors reality because most people do not. What good is it to be in reality if others are not?

Hyper-reality will break down the bonds between people leaving each of them socially isolated. In turn new forms of social decay will occurr.

Indeed, reality will be diluted with the emergence of greater technologies. Any medium that offers itself as a distraction will bend the laws of perception. For example, children born after 2000 will grow up with great technology than children did in the 1950s. These mediums grant a level of immersion; your focus is entirely on them, and so you find the lines of reality being crossed by what you perceive. But children born in newer generations will have great technological things in abundance from a young age. Because of that, their natural perception of reality will differ greatly than that of a baby-boomer of a child born before the year 2000; I only mean to use the year 2000 as a random example. The more technology increases, the more in accessible it will be to children. Eventually it will be integrated into their use and be used as their primary form of entertainment; to be babysat by a television screen, essentially. The lines between a hyper-reality and a reality will blur, and the further the dilution continues - the more the technology level increases, the level of default interaction with technology will result in a grander level of immersion into this hyper-reality.

Those are my immediate thoughts on it without any proper reading on it, anyways.

Then there is transhumanism (h+).

look at us... we believe that we are talking with other person, but are we? In this moment and time we are just nothing but a bunch of pixels on a screen of a monitor, but we have the illusion of talking with people. I find it fascinating, like a postmoderm cartesian doubt

I read about this a few years ago. We are diluting reality. In my opinion it began before the digital age. Take love which requires action, experience, and a relationship. We can trick ourselves to think we love others even without the necessary requirements. Just by saying it we can believe it. Thus a word has taken the place of real love. Add in the internet and it becomes <3 which when used hardly is backed up by a real love.

It is a problem even if one favors reality because most people do not. What good is it to be in reality if others are not?

Hyper-reality will break down the bonds between people leaving each of them socially isolated. In turn new forms of social decay will occurr.

:tu:

I couldn't agree more with your post. Mass chronic sub-clinical delusion is what I feel like is happening; also, the Allegory of the Cave relates to what you're saying.

Reality is a state of mind...tempered by the impulses received through our very limited 5 senses...so...could there be more?...of course there could be...

I have studied this quite a bit and have came to the conclusion that it is quite possible for reality to be much bigger than our senses allows us to perceive and... randomly...from time to time...we have something that occurs that either heightens our senses or somehow broadens our ability to perceive and this is when people think they experience ghosts or UFO's or Cryptids...my thinking is that whatever you experienced is always there...but sensual perception is momentarily altered and allows you to receive it...and it appears or feels to be profound and special and it is just a momentary opening of a window into a part of reality that has always been there...

Just a weird thought...