Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Surge in UFO reports over New Year

A significant increase in UFO sightings has prompted speculation that 2012 hysteria may be setting in.

New Zealand meteorologists said Monday they were opting for the former and other mundane explanations after being inundated with reports of UFOs since the start of the New Year.

arrow3.gifRead more...

(le sigh...) Some people are going to feel pretty stupid when Dec 22 comes around and the only thing that's happened is that they are a day older... So after this, what's the NEXT doomsday day?

And here we go. The only thing the 2012 doomsday crap is good for is scaring the bejesus out of the people that actually do believe we have only a year left. I know 2 people personally who strongly believe this and I think its hilarious that I can make them lose sleep over it.

Believers in doomsday, give away your possesions now and avoid the December rush!

O.K so I have seen something unusual in the sky,but up to now if there are little green men flying around,they havnt done anything to harm anyone,have they ?.So whats all the fuss and panic about ?.I am more concerned about the Crazies on the motorways,now thats really scary.

Just in case I'm going to get really hammered that night. I want to make sure I go out on a drunk note. Harold Camping was good for two blurry nights for me. After all, any excuse for drinking is a good excuse for drinking. :innocent:

Some people have mistaken the moon for a UFO, I wouldn't be surprised if some did the same with fireworks.

The saddest part is that people are still belittled for reporting UFO sightings. Of the dozen plus friends and family who have shared their UFO sightings with me, only 3 of them shared their experiences freely with others, regardless of if they thought they were in sympathetic company. Including myself that's still less than 25%. Welcome to 1950, the year that never ends.

Agreed Psycho78.

I read the first two lines in this article and then stopped.

What the hell ever happened to Occam's Razor?

How in the world is the simplest explanation for people seeing UFOs over New Years a sign of Mass Hysteria?

Perhaps visitors to our skies just wanted to see the fireworks.

For those who don't actually look at the sky with their own eyes, I can tell you that this happens EVERY YEAR.

From an Alien perspective, it's a neat Earth Event we perform annually for their entertainment.

I saw a burning orange craft floating in low orbit over San Diego this year from the Rooftop of the Andaz Hotel. Scores of other partiers saw it too.

None of us were hysterical, and frankly nobody was afraid. We waved up, and it's likely that 'they' were waving down.

Get over yourselves people, they are simply beings from another world.

-Brand

• Like 1

What's really sad is the inevitable increase suicides that will happen at the end of this year over nothing.

Why kill yourself if its going to happen anyway?

Hopefully, Dec 22nd 2012 will mean the end of all doomsday predictions. Though I doubt it. I wonder if that nutbar will set Dec 21st as his new rapture date too...

From an Alien perspective, it's a neat Earth Event we perform annually for their entertainment.

I saw a burning orange craft floating in low orbit over San Diego this year from the Rooftop of the Andaz Hotel. Scores of other partiers saw it too.

None of us were hysterical, and frankly nobody was afraid. We waved up, and it's likely that 'they' were waving down.

-Brand

It's a pretty galactic sized leap to say that something in the sky which is unidentified is piloted by beings from another world. We are separated not only by great distances but vast gulfs of time as well. It is sooo unlikely in fact that it should not even be considered remotely the most obvious answer. You would think somebody referencing occams razor would know that.

The saddest part is that people are still belittled for reporting UFO sightings. Of the dozen plus friends and family who have shared their UFO sightings with me, only 3 of them shared their experiences freely with others, regardless of if they thought they were in sympathetic company.

Many people falsely assume that they've seen an extraterrestrial spacecraft when they see a UFO. When you give them a list of far more likely explanations of what they saw, they claim they are being "belittled".

They know they don't know what they saw, but they want to live their lives believing they saw aliens flying a spaceship.

Regardless of if you believe or don't believe in aliens, It's a big call to say that a spike in UFO sightings over New Years should be linked at all to 2012 end of the world bull. Especially when the same article also makes a point that more people celebrated NYE outside...

Call it fear or whatever but even this mom of 4 has been looking up at the skys an awful lot lately. I mean even in the morning early, I'll be taking the dog out and I catch myself looking up. Not always a bad thing I guess, but just the whole 2012 year makes me feel uneasy, and I think if it's like that for me I can imagine other people doing the same. My husband is a skeptic also about the 2012 doomsday, but at least we have a dialog about my fears and such.

Agreed Psycho78.

I read the first two lines in this article and then stopped.

What the hell ever happened to Occam's Razor?

How in the world is the simplest explanation for people seeing UFOs over New Years a sign of Mass Hysteria?

Perhaps visitors to our skies just wanted to see the fireworks.

For those who don't actually look at the sky with their own eyes, I can tell you that this happens EVERY YEAR.

-Brand

I agree that linking UFOs seen on New Year to mass hysteria isn't the simplest explanation but then linking it to aliens is even less so.

Surely UFOs seen during New Year are more a case of people mistaking fireworks, Chinese lanterns, etc as something alien. This is the simplest and most likely explanation.

UFOs being fireworks etc

Large numbers of people looking at sky + firework displays, Chinese lanterns, etc

UFOs being alien in origin

Life on another planet + Knowledge of Earth existing + Technology to travel to Earth + UFOs appearing to coincide with New Year

I agree that linking UFOs seen on New Year to mass hysteria isn't the simplest explanation but then linking it to aliens is even less so.

Surely UFOs seen during New Year are more a case of people mistaking fireworks, Chinese lanterns, etc as something alien. This is the simplest and most likely explanation.

UFOs being fireworks etc

Large numbers of people looking at sky + firework displays, Chinese lanterns, etc

UFOs being alien in origin

Life on another planet + Knowledge of Earth existing + Technology to travel to Earth + UFOs appearing to coincide with New Year

Yea, not verry likely. :no:

No, I think its more likely that it was one of the Sqooon-Tang humanoids... from Klappovitch City, who simply forgot to close the plasma manifold after take-off.

The-Alien-Collection_061211001741543.jpg

Edited by Hazzard

It's a pretty galactic sized leap to say that something in the sky which is unidentified is piloted by beings from another world. We are separated not only by great distances but vast gulfs of time as well. It is sooo unlikely in fact that it should not even be considered remotely the most obvious answer. You would think somebody referencing occams razor would know that.

Just as galactic to presume sentences 2 and 3...

Logically-speaking, an inferior species unable to leave its own solar-system really has little to say, definitively, about a species potentially advanced enough to travel to other places in the galaxy. Kings on Earth doesn't necessarily equate to the same beyond it ...

What I might say for or against the reports is irrelevant towards the observation (above).

Edited by Sevastiel