Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Michigan Man, Allegedly Spread HIV

Ashotep

A health alert warning residents of Michigan's Kent County that "possibly hundreds of people have been exposed to HIV" was issued Tuesday after the arrest of David Dean Smith, a 51-year-old HIV-positive man who told police he was on a mission to infect as many people as possible, MSNBC reports.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/30/david-dean-smith-michigan-hiv-grand-rapids_n_1177103.html

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorybebe

• Ashotep

• Mr_Snstr

• HollyDolly

A health alert warning residents of Michigan's Kent County that "possibly hundreds of people have been exposed to HIV" was issued Tuesday after the arrest of David Dean Smith, a 51-year-old HIV-positive man who told police he was on a mission to infect as many people as possible, MSNBC reports.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1177103.html

I know one way to stop him There is no cure-it is a death sentence. Why pay to keep him alive?

My late mother had a book of the Short Stories of Guy de Maupassant,which I still have.I can't recall the story title,but it is about a woman who has been infected with syphlis,and goes about infecting other men.The story is set during the Franco Prussian war,and the woman goes about infecting german soldiers.Rather interesting that real life imitates a story that's 100 years old .I do feel so sorry for this man's victims, they need to string him up.

There is a girl in town who has hepatitis C and purposefully spreads it around. A few people have tried to report it, but there is no "proof" she "intentionally" spreads it. . .other than her saying it with her own mouth. :hmm:

I wish someone would take that hag in. I suppose a person has to tell a police officer themselves before they can undeniably prove that the person spreads it on purpose.

It's a sick, sick world out there.

My late mother had a book of the Short Stories of Guy de Maupassant,which I still have.I can't recall the story title,but it is about a woman who has been infected with syphlis,and goes about infecting other men.The story is set during the Franco Prussian war,and the woman goes about infecting german soldiers.Rather interesting that real life imitates a story that's 100 years old .I do feel so sorry for this man's victims, they need to string him up.

I don't think it's such a rare thing. People who get STDs can get bitter. . .especially if it's a serious one. It is the whole misery loves company bit, I suppose. Their revenge is infecting other people, wronging them because they feel they've been wronged. Or at least, that's what I would guess. Then again, some people are just jerks.

There is a girl in town who has hepatitis C and purposefully spreads it around. A few people have tried to report it, but there is no "proof" she "intentionally" spreads it. . .other than her saying it with her own mouth. :hmm:

I wish someone would take that hag in. I suppose a person has to tell a police officer themselves before they can undeniably prove that the person spreads it on purpose.

It's a sick, sick world out there.

I don't think it's such a rare thing. People who get STDs can get bitter. . .especially if it's a serious one. It is the whole misery loves company bit, I suppose. Their revenge is infecting other people, wronging them because they feel they've been wronged. Or at least, that's what I would guess. Then again, some people are just jerks.

IMO, if you know you have it and keep having unprotected sex-that is proof! Absolutely ridiculous.

Stories like this should make you think twice about who you sleep with. Often you can not tell by looking at someone if they have HIV or Hepatitis. If you know you have it and give it to someone you should go to jail.

How many people Smith directly infected over the past three years is difficult to determine, but the victim who spoke to WOOD-TV said Smith claimed to have had sex with as many as 3,000 people of both genders.

Busy man. :rolleyes:

No matter how harsh you punish someone who does this it doesn't undo the damage done. People have to wake up and realize their own safety is their responsibility. While I think he should be punished in some manner, I feel little pity for his "victims".

Busy man. :rolleyes:

No matter how harsh you punish someone who does this it doesn't undo the damage done. People have to wake up and realize their own safety is their responsibility. While I think he should be punished in some manner, I feel little pity for his "victims".

Do you honestly think that they would have slept with him, let alone without protection if they knew? While I agree that you should ALWAYS practice safe sex, things happen and there are times when you make bad choices (especially when alcohol is added)-doesn't mean you should be given a horrible disease that has no cure, especially when it was done as a deliberate act on the man's part. That is the huge thing here, he was doing this on purpose, it wasn't like he had no idea and passed it on, HE KNEW and went out of his way to infect others.

I'm am sorry to say this was not the only story I read where someone was deliberately trying to pass HIV to others. Condom use is always the right thing to do but unfortunately condoms don't offer much protection from Genital Herpes. GH won't kill you but even with condom use you still need to be careful.

Do you honestly think that they would have slept with him, let alone without protection if they knew? While I agree that you should ALWAYS practice safe sex, things happen and there are times when you make bad choices (especially when alcohol is added)-doesn't mean you should be given a horrible disease that has no cure, especially when it was done as a deliberate act on the man's part. That is the huge thing here, he was doing this on purpose, it wasn't like he had no idea and passed it on, HE KNEW and went out of his way to infect others.

I'm not saying that one should get a disease if they made a mistake. But c'mon it's not like these things are new info that hasn't disseminated throughout the population yet.

My point is that punishing the guy after the fact is secondary to people realizing that it's their responsibility to protect themselves. If that was done this guy would have no victims at all. Bad/crazy people are out there; just because they shouldn't be doing something doesn't mean they're not going to do it. Just because they shouldn't be doing it; doesn't mean we shouldn't protect ourselves from it.

He could've very well just been a sex crazed guy who didn't know he had HIV, didn't like condoms, and didn't care. Most people don't need an alterior sinister motive to pursue sex. Just because he did it on purpose doesn't mean it couldn't have very well happened if it wasn't on purpose.

Edited by Mr_Snstr

I'm not saying that one should get a disease if they made a mistake. But c'mon it's not like these things are new info that hasn't disseminated throughout the population yet.

My point is that punishing the guy after the fact is secondary to people realizing that it's their responsibility to protect themselves. If that was done this guy would have no victims at all. Bad/crazy people are out there; just because they shouldn't be doing something doesn't mean they're not going to do it. Just because they shouldn't be doing it; doesn't mean we shouldn't protect ourselves from it.

He could've very well just been a sex crazed guy who didn't know he had HIV, didn't like condoms, and didn't care. Most people don't need an alterior sinister motive to pursue sex. Just because he did it on purpose doesn't mean it couldn't have very well happened if it wasn't on purpose.

How about thinking about it this way: It`s not punishing the man so much by putting him in jail but, protecting the public FROM him. We need to think about protecting the public, rather than punishing the criminals. IMO when someone is TRYING to hurt or kill someone, they need to be removed from society.