Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sweden recognises new file-sharing religion

questionmark

A "church" whose central tenet is the right to file-share has been formally recognised by the Swedish government.

The Church of Kopimism claims that "kopyacting" - sharing information through copying - is akin to a religious service.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Ah, so when are we going to see the building of the St. Copyus Church?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Omnaka

• Paracelse

• _Only

• g00dfella

Does that makes copyrights law Ctrl+Alt+Del?

:innocent:

A sect of self-proclaimed digital pirates, which believes "information is holy and copying is a sacrament," has been recognized as an official religion in Sweden.

The Missionary Church of Kopimism, which holds the computer commands "CTRL+C" and "CTRL+V" as sacred symbols, petitioned the Swedish government, in 2010, to have their church officially recognized as a religion. The Church of Kopimism, which derives its name from the phrase "copy me," has about 3,000 followers known as "Kopimists."

Kopimists hope the elevated status of their Church will help remove the legal stigma surrounding file-sharing on the Internet.

Link to Full article and Source

Those kooky Swedes. Those PirateBay leaders sure do consider their work holy (or at least spending quite an amount of time to make it seem so). This is just a step over the top in their holier than thou campaign. Know your role!

Some friends and I were talking about this on stumbleupon and this is just completely AB-FAB!! I can see it now:

"Our Copy, who art from Brethren, thy pasted from, here to heaven, thy fees shall be none... abscond!"

Either way, I'm all set! The big incorporated corps. gave me all the legal defense I needed when occupy started!

piracy-is-theft.jpg

Edited by ProfessorWhat

I can't shake this feeling that it was done in order to protect said downloading from the overbearing laws coming into effect. I believe it was Spain that had the United States try to bully her into passing laws to go after piracy. Making it a religion I think is an attempt to salvage it.

If this is the strongest belief they have, a core principal, then I would consider it legitimate. After all systems such as religion form to fit the needs of people whose sensibilities change over time. This is important to many in our time.

It also highlights the social tensions between corporate interests (the elite) and the common person which has been the genesis of many religions. Without the sponsorship of the elite I doubt it blossoms but who knows? We will have to have both components of society come to terms as usual.

The historical equivalent is that of an elite who want to own the land versus those who believe the land should be for everyone, no one can own it, or if so communally at best. As digital property becomes more important we will see this play out but it's sort of obvious which side will win in the end.

The same side which one last time.

Edited by Unseelie

Thread merged, and now moved to a more appropriate forum :tu:

Wouldn't it be St. Sean Parker church?

Does that makes copyrights law Ctrl+Alt+Del?

Do not invoke the name of the beast lightly my friend.

----

Good for them; jokes aside, information being one of the most powerful things in our temporal world; it should be viewed as "holy", or at least special.

Wouldn't it be St. Sean Parker church?

Do not invoke the name of the beast lightly my friend.

----

Good for them; jokes aside, information being one of the most powerful things in our temporal world; it should be viewed as "holy", or at least special.

I agree. I hope they get it off the ground. when monsanto started patenting food crops (Plants) I was amazed. If info can't be sold, it should be free. Lol.

Love Omnaka

If info can't be sold, it should be free. Lol.

How did we jump from piracy to information? You are aware what the vast majority of things pirated are, right? Cracking down on piracy doesn't mean cracking down on the free spread of information, despite what conspiracy theorists lead to believe.

How did we jump from piracy to information? You are aware what the vast majority of things pirated are, right? Cracking down on piracy doesn't mean cracking down on the free spread of information, despite what conspiracy theorists lead to believe.

My bad,, Don't know what I was thinking my post did not make sense to me, and I should have deleted it. Oops!

Love Omnaka

It is quite a ridiculous thing that I read today. It will only lead to religion becoming a joke for all to laugh over. Anyway, in my information Sweden took initiative only recently to ban piracy sites in its country.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/apr/02/sweden-internet-traffic-plummets

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-effect-of-swedens-new-piracy-laws-twice-the-number-of-legal-downloads/

• 2 weeks later...

ahahahahahaha I live in sweden this is the first time I ve heard it :P though it sounds more like the guy got p***ed cause of the piracy law that was created about 4 or 5 years ago by the swedish goverment and then came up with this idea of making a religon and make them respect that and let them pirate things :P but I still dont think they are allowed to download inlegally or upload