Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US sorry for holding BBC reporter

Talon

US sorry for holding BBC reporter

The US military in Afghanistan has apologised for detaining a BBC World Service reporter and interrogating him at its Bagram air base near Kabul.

Kamal Sadat, an Afghan who also worked for Reuters, was taken from his home in eastern Afghanistan by US soldiers late on Wednesday.

The US military said it had received information he was a threat, but officials released him early on Friday.

The US holds hundreds of alleged terror suspects without charge at Bagram.

Mr Sadat is a well-known reporter in Afghanistan for the BBC's Pashto and Dari language services.

Based in the province of Khost near the Afghan-Pakistan border, he has worked for the corporation for almost two years.

'Misunderstanding'

Late on Wednesday night, he said, US soldiers burst into his home, breaking down the door.

Weapons were pointed at members of his family.

When the Americans asked for him he said he told them he was a BBC journalist and showed his identity card and another issued by Reuters.

But after searching the house and removing equipment and several notebooks, soldiers took Mr Sadat to a nearby US base.

There, he says, he was blindfolded and put on an aircraft, but not told where he was going or why.

On Thursday, the US military confirmed to the BBC in Kabul that Mr Sadat was being held at Bagram.

Speaking after his release, the reporter said he was never told where he was.

He said he was kept in a small, windowless cell, blindfolded most of the time and interrogated by an American official about his work.

Late on Thursday night, the US military told the BBC that Mr Sadat's detention was the result of a misunderstanding and in a statement apologised to the reporter and his family.

The BBC says it is very concerned about the incident and is making representations to the US military authorities in Afghanistan and Washington.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3645264.stm

'Misunderstanding'

Late on Wednesday night, he said, US soldiers burst into his home, breaking down the door.

Weapons were pointed at members of his family.

Misunderstanding? No ****... you could have killed someone. No I know I talk about killing terrorist and toturing prisoners and killing the, but this is kinda worrying. How many of these people the US is holing are actually terrorists? huh.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• Velikovsky

• AztecInca

• doomgirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, way to gun-hoo.

'OH LOOK TANKS!' w00t.gif

'Does the enemy have tanks?' blink.gif

'Don't know, best shoot anyway' devil.gif

*several missles later*

'Oh wait, thats a British unit we just destroyed? huh.gif '

'Oh... oh well... they're used it' whistling2.gif

Edited by Talon S.

LOL!!! The americans do seem to so as much damage to their allies as they do to the enemy.

I understand how they have to be vigilant with terrorist but they really have being going to far, the majority of people they detaine are probably innocent, but then again they may all be guilty, its just that they dont always know, so they use the good old shoot first ask qusetions later approach.

All right you three, sounds like suspected terrorism to me. We'll be at your house by tuesday and we'd appreciate it if you left the door unlocked. grin2.gif

Lol! Dont worry i`ll just leave guns, plans of buildings and some bomb parts lying around so you dont have to go to the trouble of planting them!

To be fair, I think he was joking grin2.giflaugh.gif

Although there are plenty of Americans who do seem to thing they have jurisdiction over the entire world. wacko.gif Scary

To be fair, I think he was joking  grin2.gif  laugh.gif

Although there are plenty of Americans who do seem to thing they have jurisdiction over the entire world. wacko.gif Scary

264821[/snapback]

yes it's true I was joking grin2.gif

We haven't decided to invade Scotland and Australia just yet.

But we're watching you. laugh.gif

Gosh can you imagine if they had really treated him badly. That would of been very damning. It just shows how paranoid everyone must be out there, not only that, like others have said it shows a kind of shoot first ask questions later scenario which is worrying. I wonder how many people have actually suffered and maybe died due to this kind of situation.

US statistics were that 70% of the prisoners in Iraq are probably innocent. The Red Cross had an even higher percentage. The military is just not trained for this kind of mission.

Indeed, the military is a broadsword, the police are a surgeons knife. You can't expect one to do the job of the other.