Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would you risk your life for someone?

Tia

There's only a handful of people that I would risk my life for without even thinking about it: My close family, a special loved one, and my dog(pets are family, too!).

For anyone else, I would spend a second or so thinking about it. I don't think I would ever willingly watch someone die in front of me, though.

Unless they're being executed for a horrible crime.

Or I really, really.. really.. hate them.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Englishgent

• Tia

• Drayno

• Still Waters

Interesting question and good answers.

A chap I worked with was unloading a damaged car off a recovery truck, foolishly he un clipped the winch cable hoping that gravity would take over, told him he was stupid, he gave it a shove and not much happened, he then walked round the back of the car and as he did, gravity did kick in and he had close to 2 tonnes sliding towards him.

I immediatley ran and pushed him out of the way and got away my leg pinned between 2 cars and breaking my knee cap. So maybe not as extreme as some scenarios but id of done it for any one of the people I work with.

Cant stand seeing people in danger.

Id do it, for a child and close family members or friends, any one else and I suppose I would pause to weigh things up.

I am satisfied with my life as it is now. I have no regrets (to be fair, I'm still young, not much to regret yet), and to die as I am would be far better than to die old, with regret for things that cannot be changed. As it is, I have no fear of death, and would be willing to risk my life if it was necessary. Many people have unresolved issues in their lives, and if they were saved from a near-death, they would surely make peace with anyone they had arguments with, and connect with old friends. If I could improve the life of many others through action, and the worst that could happen to me I have no fear of, why not?

When it's your job and it's expected of you, you don't have time for wishy washy should I discussions with yourself.

Doesn't matter who it is. You do your job. As a professional and to the best of your ability. Unless you're putting your own life in jeopardy. Then that's a whole different ballgame.

Depends on who it is needing saved. Some folks I would definitely try to save without much thought to danger, others I would pretend I never heard screaming. If it was a total stranger and it looked too dangerous for me to have a go I'd call the professionals.

To be flat honest: It would depend upon who it was, how much risk there was to me, and what the chance of success was. If the parameters were reasonable I'd certainly be willing to attempt to save another human being.

I didn't read all the posts but I think most people would, unless of course they were protecting their children or children in general. You usually only have a split second to make a decision like this and you will always second guess yourself but you do the best you can with what you have. As for me, I've jumped out my car in the middle of traffic to rescue animals. I've had times when it was a choice of going to someone's defense or grabbing children to save them from seeing violence, I've grabbed the children. So for me, it's children and animals first, after them, I'll help you. Never have thought of my own safety until after wards. It's gut reaction. Saw a woman getting beaten in her front yard by her boyfriend, I chased him with a broom, never thought about him coming after me. Of course, at the time I didn't realize that my Godzilla husband was chasing me, chasing him... somehow I don't think I scared that guy, I think it was Godzilla....

If I saw a child drowning, then I would absolutely jump in to save him, even though I can't particularly swim very well myself. It's just instinct.

I would definitely risk my life to save one of my family members, as well. :)

Edited by Alienated Being

If I saw a child drowning, then I would absolutely jump in to save him, even though I can't particularly swim very well myself. It's just instinct.

I would definitely risk my life to save one of my family members, as well. :)

It's one thing when you have little, if any chance of successfully saving them. In a situation like this, you'd be more likely to cause harm than good, and then there'll be two people needing rescuing. That being said, I would risk my life to save a stranger -if I had a moderately good chance of helping the situation.- Any time where I'm extremely likely to get myself killed or injured without accomplishing anything, it's best that the professionals get called.

I didn't read all the posts but I think most people would, unless of course they were protecting their children or children in general. You usually only have a split second to make a decision like this and you will always second guess yourself but you do the best you can with what you have. As for me, I've jumped out my car in the middle of traffic to rescue animals. I've had times when it was a choice of going to someone's defense or grabbing children to save them from seeing violence, I've grabbed the children. So for me, it's children and animals first, after them, I'll help you. Never have thought of my own safety until after wards. It's gut reaction. Saw a woman getting beaten in her front yard by her boyfriend, I chased him with a broom, never thought about him coming after me. Of course, at the time I didn't realize that my Godzilla husband was chasing me, chasing him... somehow I don't think I scared that guy, I think it was Godzilla....

Love it ! :w00t:

These are beautiful stories. Made me think a lot how the line is drawn at the end being "friend ok." As someone who struggled with survivors guilt. The story doesn't end there. Anguish of being saved can be a story of its own.

I risked my health to help a woman who was being abused. I didn't feel I was risking my life but thoughts crossed my mind. I think inner fears prevent people from taking risks. That's just human.

i think when it comes to strangers it either comes naturally to you or it does not as some people naturally have this way of thinking and will rush into any situation without any thought for themselves ... others will think about it and maybe not do it because of the danger ..on the other hand if it was my kids or family then yes nothing would stop me from trying to help them x

• 4 years later...

One person may believe but can not possibly know what they are capable of the closer to death they become tell they experience it. Wisdom is experience.