Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The cryptids of Africa

Deimos

Of all the cryptids, I think that the african cryptids captivate me the most. I find these to be the most interesting. Here is a breif overview of all of the African Cryptids I know. Feel free to post your thoughts on the great cryptids of Africa, or tell me if I missed some. These are just brief summaries, but tell me if you want a more detailed description of any one of these.

Mokele Mbembe: this African cryptid is beleived to be a living sauropod. It has long neck, long tail, and three toed footprints. Sometime said to have a small horn on it's nose, and often reported to have an attitude problem. It is reported to be around the size of an elephant, and having reddish brown skin.

Emela-Ntouka: A large semi-aquatic crpytid described as having an elephantine body, with a long tail and a sinlge ivory horn on it's nose. It is said to gore elephants with its horn. Some people think this animal is a living ceratopsian, while others beleive it to be a semi-aqautic rhino. Reported from the Likouala swamp region.

Mahamba: A giant crocodile said to be 15 meters in length.

Mbielu-mbielu-mbielu: Means "Animal with planks growing out of it's back". No description of the body of this animal was given because it was submerged, all that could be seen were the planks growing from it's back. Many researchers belive this animal is a Stegosaur.

Ndendeki: A giant turtle with a shell 15 feet in diameter, believed to be Trionyx triunguis, of the African soft-shell turtle.

Ngoima: a bird with a 9 foot wingspan. Believed to be an overstated martial eagle.

Nguma-monene: A large snake said to have a ridge running down it's back. not much about this animal is know, but some speculate this animal to be the same as Mbielu-mbielu-mbielu.

Nendu' Me: A large dragon-like animal with bat like ears and wings. The animal is reported to be flgithless, but it uses it wings to swim rather than fly. THe animal is said to be a night hunter.

Mamlambo: A half-fish half-horse creature said to suck out people's brains! It is unknown just what exactly the Mamlambo is, or if it is even real.

Agogwe: A small species of Bigfoot like animals from Central Africa. Agogwe are said to be about 4 feet tall and fat. I like to think of them as the Oompa Loompas of hominids!

Mwanga: A giant gray cat the size of a donkey. This animal was said to ha ve killed several people on the ivory coast.

Offilau: Or that's at least how I think it's spelled. Said to be a giant bat much like the hool.

Kongamoto: Said to be a living Pterasaur. Reported from th Great Rift Valley

Nandi Bear: A bear from Kenya that is said to ripp off the roofs of people's huts and then drag them out. There has been some speculation about whether or not the animal is really a bear. Some think this creature is really a giant hyena.

Oobundi: A large, black fossa reported to wait in the trees for its victims, and then dropping down to punce on them.

Those are all the ones I know off the top of my head, If I missed some please tell me, and I know that I missed a few hominids, but I don't know the names. If you want more info on any of these creatures, let me know. grin2.gif

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• Deimos

• mr_halo

• SilverCougar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite a few of them just sound like something out of mythology, however the Congo might hid some of them.

Quite a few of them just sound like something out of mythology, however the Congo might hid some of them.

264259[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm not too sure about the Mamlambo, or the giant crocodile or the giant snake, but Who knows?

Edited by Monster Hunter X

I just remembered, I forgot the Manguur and the Kyanda Metetya. The Manguur is a giant monitor lizard, and Kyanda Metetya is a weird, kangaroo ostritch like beast said to devour the souls of men.

the giant crocodile or the giant snake,

Those actually sound like the most likely to be alive, because their just larger versions of a known animal.

the giant crocodile or the giant snake,

Those actually sound like the most likely to be alive, because their just larger versions of a known animal.

264281[/snapback]

Yeah but a 50 ft croc?

Never know.. just like the Megaladon.. the Deinosuchus can still be hidden somewhere...

i'm alsmost certain that there are giant snakes out there, i mean snakes are rather secretive, and theres lots of places for the big guys to hide, so they are out there i reckon...

blink.gif

i'm alsmost certain that there are giant snakes out there, i mean snakes are rather secretive, and theres lots of places for the big guys to hide, so they are out there i reckon...

I believe there are probably giant anacondas in South America thumbsup.gif

I believe there are probably giant anacondas in South America thumbsup.gif

265500[/snapback]

You know, I have a pet anaconda cool.gif

It's not a giant, but how many people can say they have an anaconda at home?

post-9725-1095121051.jpg

I wouldn't trust one of those things in the house. Probably harmless to you, but I prefer my pets to have fur tongue.giflaugh.gif

*shiver* I hate snakes, no offense to your pet.

Any of those animals would be a great zoological discovery. It's possible there's some unknown animals hidden in the depths of Africa.

Any of those animals would be a great zoological discovery. It's possible there's some unknown animals hidden in the depths of Africa.

No doubt

Has anyone seen the photo of the alleged Mokele Mbembe footprint? Even if it's fake, it's a neat photo. But the impression is pretty deep, especially where the toes are.

I think there are quite a few places that unknown creatures can survive undetected. Mostly because they are so innaccessable to humans, and have abundant food supplies. Most notably interior central Africa, in the Congo and Gabon areas, and the thick rainforrested Amazon interior in South America. thumbsup.gif

I think that the giant snake could be the most likely out of the ones that were listed to be real. Very interesting list though u , also nice link Mr. Halo .

I think that the giant snake could be the most likely out of the ones that were listed to be real. Very interesting list though u , also nice link Mr. Halo .

271045[/snapback]

Yeah, I think that they are all real, but some are probably misunderstood. I'm really intersted in the Emela-Ntouka, Mokele-Mbembe and Nendu'Me. I want to know more about these three.

*shiver* I hate snakes, no offense to your pet.

265591[/snapback]

snakes rock man, i don't care what you say

grin2.gif What bout Mekele-Mebembe..... lol.... took me forever to learn how to spell/ pronounce that... but now it is drilled into my brain tongue.gif

grin2.gif What bout Mekele-Mebembe..... lol.... took me forever to learn how to spell/ pronounce that... but now it is drilled into my brain tongue.gif

271846[/snapback]

Yeah, all of the prehistoric survivors fascinate me. To think that a dinosaur is still alive today gives me goosebumps. They had better discover a dinosaur during my lifetime. I would love to go on an expedition to find one of these mysterious animals. Hopefully they will prove the animals existence.