Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Salmond calls for independence referendum2014

questionmark

Alex Salmond has said he wants to hold an independence referendum in Scotland in the autumn of 2014.

The Scottish first minister said this date would allow people to make a "considered" decision on the country's future within the United Kingdom.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hetrodoxly

• stevewinn

• questionmark

• Robbie333

If they secede will the royal family still be welcome at Balmoral?

I love the idea. I hope I see it come to pass.

I don't want to see the United Kingdom broken up.

I don't want to see the United Kingdom broken up.

Oh, I really don't see it really happening either SW. I feel there are to many irons in the fire for this change. I would like to see an independent Scotland but I would like to hear what my family in Scotland feels about it as well as, our Scot friends in here. Maybe we could post vote? Aye or Nay, so to speak?

Edited by Robbie333

If they secede will the royal family still be welcome at Balmoral?

Why not, Herr Majesty can well keep on being the head of state of Scotland, no matter if they want to be ruled by Westminster or not.

this story comes around time and time again, nothing but a waste of money. salmmond watches to much brave heart you only have to look at the date he wants to hold the referendum on - the day centuries ago the Scots beat england in some battle.

The government are preparing the way for the vote to be taken soon with just two options yes or no, Alex Salmond obviously doesn't want the vote yet, what would be the point of an independence party if the people vote no?

the union as been beneficial to all concerned but the vote needs to be taken soon so this can finally be put to bed once and for all Salmond uses the independence vote like the sword of Damocles, his bluff as been called.

Edited by hetrodoxly

I'm all for scotish independence, as long as they mean it, i.e. total independence from the English taxpayer & all their scottish M.Ps out of Westminster....can't see that happening somehow.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

I'm all for scotish independence, as long as they mean it, i.e. total independence from the English taxpayer & all their scottish M.Ps out of Westminster....can't see that happening somehow.

Soooooo true, LOL I like this. “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal” --- Peter Brimelow

On the bbc politics program today it was stated that more English people want scottish independence than scots do.

On the bbc politics program today it was stated that more English people want scottish independence than scots do.

A boat that you're on no doubt...

A boat that you're on no doubt...

And which boat are you on?

Half of me wants to see them vote for independence just to see if they can manage it. The other half thinks we're better off united as it gives us more political power.

I find it very worrying that Salmond wants an option for more devolved powers though. Seems to me that's what he really wants; not independence but power for himself. He knows people don't like making momentous decisions so if you give them two absolutes and a middles option, most people will take the less extreme choice. If he was serious about independence, he would have a yes/no vote on it and then, if the Scots vote no, he could hold a separate vote for more devolved powers.

the date he wants to hold the referendum on - the day centuries ago the Scots beat england in some battle.

That must have narrowed down his options quite a lot :P

As a Scot, perhaps I should try and answer this thorny issue...

Perhaps, for example, the ballot paper for the question on whether or not we ought to go independant ought to have three options:

Mebbes aye...

Mebbes nae...

Ahm nae fashed...

Or even a fourth (or should this read Forth? Internal landmark joke, some may get it!) option:

Gonnae no dae that...

We've had a vote on this before, mid 70s I think, and you can surmise, it didn't go the nationalist's way. And frankly, would we be better off seperating from the UK? Basically, no, but that won't stop the usual types spouting off why we ought, as was once said by that great hypocrite Sir Sean Connery himself: "Arise and be a nation again." Why do I dare call our country's greatest actor a hypocrite? Well, he said before that if the SNP got into power, he'd be back living in Scotland. They got into power, but that has been augmented to if we ever get independance then the former Bond might return. Admit, oh son of the saltire, you'd rather live somewhere warm and not as damp as we are here!

Look, I am admittedly not a big fan of full independance. Ages back when I was at college, we had a by-election, and the four candidates turned up, representing the Conservatives, Labour (this was before they became New and more Tory like), the Liberal Democrats and the Scottish National Party. The questions oddly enough were prepared ones only, and no questions from the floor were allowed. So after the stock questions on health, education nuclear power, defence and the like were asked, the usual answers given in return, you pretty much got no insight on just how or why you ought to even bother allowing the four guys the loan of your vote. But I did manage at the end of the session to buttonhole the SNP candidate, and ask how he and his party would fund the closure of all nuclear power generating installations. This was a major manifesto pledge then. And the answer? In basic terms: "Don't worry about that. Just vote for us. We'll worry then about how to fund it." It was also added to include, and this has stuck in memory when a lot more has gone: "It's your duty as a Scot to to vote for the SNP party!"

That, I have to say, just racked me off. My duty? As far as I saw it, the use of my vote was to be used after careful consideration of all facts, allowing me to vote only for the best party and candidate to run things, not because of some nationalistic crap. And yes, some of our English nieghbours would rather ditch their "whinging jock ingrates". But I'd like you down south to ponder this. It's a vital point that I have yet to hear any of the expert political types that have been pontificating on this issue.

If we up here get a vote that gives us the choice to breakaway from the rest of the UK, how long before the remaining sections demand the same? After all, it would be unfair to just let one lot get a chance to leave, so the Welsh and those in Northern Ireland must also be allowed to have a vote. And if that happens, and the nationalist elements in both countries get their oar stuck in, there'd be no more United Kingdom, and poor wee England would be all alone. And that would be, if it ever happens, the worst bloody thing that could happen to our country.

at the end of the day this UNION of ours as stood the test of time, and will continue to do so. i dont expect a break up in the next thousand years, let alone the next few months. when we look back we have achieved so much, our culture and families are so interwoven into the fabric its impossible to unstitch.

we'll always have the minority who are in it for self-perpetuation, people like salmond go to bed at night dreaming of what they can undermine demolish or cast away. its a good job the majority have the sense to see this.

I think any Independence Vote should be balanced by a vote from the rest of the UK....that way if Scotland rejects Independence then at least we in the rest of the UK can say "wrong choice - you are now Independent" no more subsidies...:w00t:

Just Kidding by the way - Really

I can't see how Scotland can have anything other than a yes or no vote without including the rest of the UK.

Oh, but there are UN rules that Britain agreed to that say the contrary. As long asd you can demonstrate a culture and a territory you can call yourself a nation. If you can call yourself a nation you have the right to determine whether you want to be part of a group of united nations, like the UK, and how far that association can go.