Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DNA tests to solve mystery of big cats

Still Waters

I will be there as soon as I win the lotto, sounds marvelous, even with the big cats.

Where I live now (TX US) there are cougars, some small wild cats and perhaps a jaguar or two. It does give one pause when walking through the rough.

Oh the Dales are lovely Jaguar.....you can go off and not meet anyone....im in Swaledale but it is seriously worth investigating....:) .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThePhantomFlanFlinger

• turn on tune in

• Timothy

• angi chiesa

I also believe there is a relatively high possibility that big cats exist here in the UK. Cant wait for the DNA results.

Just want to mention there is also the possibility that it could be wild dogs. When I used to go fishing as a teenager with my uncle George and his friend, both farmers, I remember them discussing how 3 'wild dogs' (pets with no owners) had gone into hunting pack mode and killed 2 of his sheep and about 6 lambs before he could get to them with his shotgun. Said he had no joy in shooting the dogs (one was a Labrador, my favourite dog) but there was no other option.

I never saw the carcasses but I would imagine a large dog could mangle a deer or sheep to pieces if it was not interrupted.

_EDIT_

(This was near Hetton-le-Hole in Sunderland)

Edited by bulveye

Why do I get the feeling this is the last we will hear on this case? I have Rick Minter on my Facebook and do respect his research but something isn't right about this. Some people are already in damage limitation mode!!

Edited by skookum

• 2 weeks later...

yep it killed 2 walabies within 15 miles of the deer carcas's taken from woodchester.the newspaper (the gloucester citizen) even showed a picture of a half eaten walabie.

so now the UK has big cats wild boar and walabies ?

We've had wallabies for many years now. They live wild in some parts.

And.... when do we find out the results of this DNA testing? *waiting impatiently*:w00t:

And.... when do we find out the results of this DNA testing? *waiting impatiently*:w00t:

Me too. Should not have taken more then a week I would have thought..

I thought it could be a wolf. People have been talking about reintroducing them for years.

I thought it could be a wolf. People have been talking about reintroducing them for years.

That's a long term plan ahead in the future though

well it will either proove there are big cats or proove that it was not killed by a big cat it will never proove that there is not big cats in the uk

yep it killed 2 walabies within 15 miles of the deer carcas's taken from woodchester.the newspaper (the gloucester citizen) even showed a picture of a half eaten walabie.

so now the UK has big cats wild boar and walabies ?

They have had jumbuck sightings by the billabongs though.

i kind of expected them to say that it wasnt a big cat cos they wouldn't want to admit it to the public,and there was a big cat sighting 2 weeks ago at slaley woods near hexam up this way

That is such a lie! A fox could never have killed a deer, and the bite marks on the neck indicates it was a big cat!

That is such a lie! A fox could never have killed a deer, and the bite marks on the neck indicates it was a big cat!

A Roe Deer is only a relatively small creature so it is feasible a fox could have made the kill if it was a particularly small specimen.The way the creature was killed though is another matter entirely...

Edited by BrianPotter

Fair enough but I have seen pictures and I wouldn't say it was small enough for a fox to kill.

Edited by Cryptid-Seeker

Fair enough but I have seen pictures and I wouldn't say it was small enough for a fox to kill.

They stand between 2ft-3ft i reckon normally.I think that the kill has been made by a big cat and its then been feasted on by other creatures so possibly eliminating the cats DNA from the sample that was taken.That said,only a few weeks ago someone shot a very large fox...size of a labrador apparently.I still think its a nailed on certainty that big cats are over here and breeding.

Edited by BrianPotter

The reason I think it's a wolf is that this creature has been described as being quite skittish around humans, for instance, one man said that he saw a low black shape run under a car.

Now, let us assume that there is a Puma in England, do big cats fear humans? Forgive any possible ignorance on my part, but I always believed that big cats would not run from human beings, whereas a wolf is much more cautious.

Have I got it mixed up?

* Accidental double post, sorry*

Edited by BradVaughn

I had a feeling from the beginning it was going to end up a dog attack or natural death with other animals consuming the carcase. The Big Cat investigators were a bit to quick to claim big cat in this case and now the newspapers are making fun of them.

In 2003 a black hair found, DNA tested after a sighting in Lincoinshire gave a positive result for a leopard.

In 2005 in Neath - south wales a DNA test was positive with a puma hair after a sighting there.

They are here beleve