Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Slavery math assignment cause parents outrage

thedutchiedutch

Norcross - Several parents of elementary school children in Gwinnet County, Georgia were shocked and outraged when their children brought home from school math homework assignment that had word problems referring to slavery and beating of slaves.

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/317534#ixzz1jCEzyE3p

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• and-then

• lightly

• rashore

• Mr_Snstr

"Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"

Seven oranges each.

"If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?"

He got 14 in a week.

Pretty easy questions, I don't see why there's an outrage. If anything is outrageous it's two trains leave different cities heading toward each other at different speeds. When and where do they meet?

Train A, traveling 70 miles per hour (mph), leaves Westford heading toward Eastford, 260 miles away. At the same time Train B, traveling 60 mph, leaves Eastford heading toward Westford. When do the two trains meet? How far from each city do they meet?

:P

Seven oranges each.

He got 14 in a week.

Pretty easy questions, I don't see why there's an outrage. If anything is outrageous it's two trains leave different cities heading toward each other at different speeds. When and where do they meet?

Train A, traveling 70 miles per hour (mph), leaves Westford heading toward Eastford, 260 miles away. At the same time Train B, traveling 60 mph, leaves Eastford heading toward Westford. When do the two trains meet? How far from each city do they meet?

:P

Awesome. wiggle.gif

wow that is weird, i wouldnt like it for my kids either.

I'm proud to say my son has been taught that we are all equal and we treat others how we expect to be treated... However, I'd be through the roof if he brought this home or had to do it at school. Yes, we must except our past mistakes and yes math is important, but combining them??? I hope heads roll

I'm proud to say my son has been taught that we are all equal and we treat others how we expect to be treated... However, I'd be through the roof if he brought this home or had to do it at school. Yes, we must except our past mistakes and yes math is important, but combining them??? I hope heads roll

This is GEORGIA, USA. I live in Alabama and can offer this insight. Blatant racist offerings of this type emanate almost exclusively from blacks. For a caucasian to offer such verbage in today's southern culture would be professional suicide. For blacks, however, no such threat exists. the double standard is sickening.

Reading this reminded me of the racist, anti semitic garbage that Jews are subjected to in the school books of the "palestinians".

This is GEORGIA, USA. I live in Alabama and can offer this insight. Blatant racist offerings of this type emanate almost exclusively from blacks. For a caucasian to offer such verbage in today's southern culture would be professional suicide. For blacks, however, no such threat exists. the double standard is sickening.

Reading this reminded me of the racist, anti semitic garbage that Jews are subjected to in the school books of the "palestinians".

Those of us who were raised right and raise our children right should feel good. Nobody knows anything besides what mamma tells us. How could we? It's nice to know that the SOUTH still hasn't figured out that they lost for a very good reason.

I'm not on my high horse. I'm in Indiana where most seem to think they are southern... Everybody get's to complain about the problems they do not have.

I don't see what the big deal is; granted it's a pretty odd way to try to mix subjects.

I really liked this part of the article:

"But some of the parents were not satisfied with the response from the school and demanded for an apology and diversity training for the teachers and district officials. A majority of students at the Beaver Ridge Elementary School are minorities."

:huh:

I don't see what the big deal is; granted it's a pretty odd way to try to mix subjects.

I really liked this part of the article:

"But some of the parents were not satisfied with the response from the school and demanded for an apology and diversity training for the teachers and district officials. A majority of students at the Beaver Ridge Elementary School are minorities."

:huh:

[/quo

My issue is just with the blatant double standard that permeates all discussions of racism here in the South. A white teacher who inserted this language in their homework assignment would be fired the NEXT day and would probably never work as a teacher again. That is the reality here.

My issue is just with the blatant double standard that permeates all discussions of racism here in the South. A white teacher who inserted this language in their homework assignment would be fired the NEXT day and would probably never work as a teacher again. That is the reality here.

I think when it can be claimed that a minority is the majority without raising considerable ammount of eyebrows we're far past the point you're trying to make. Double-speak anyone?

.. Homey steal two ounces of Cracker's bidness .. He dime it out and tag his girl ... How long before Cracker shoot Homey?

Really weird and yeah, kind of offensive. Hitting up BRE's website the principle says the "crossover" was because the kids are currently studying Frederick Douglas. Surely the teachers could have come up with some better questions than they did, perhaps math questions that are about Frederick Douglas?

Crossover can be a cool idea, but sometimes comes off really badly in execution.

Okay, so what? Do people just want to forget slavery ever happened and live in ignorance?

No, I don't think that's the point here. These were 3rd graders and it can be argued that they are being indoctrinated with a version of their history designed to make them angry and possibly distrustful. Also, my issue with it is that there is a tremendous double standard here. If the educator who gave the homework had been caucasian he/she would have been terminated the next day. Slavery was ended in our country about 140 years ago and while the evil of it should NEVER be forgotten we also have a duty to move forward and try to make things better. This class was IMO just classless. :(

Edited by and then

.. Homey steal two ounces of Cracker's bidness .. He dime it out and tag his girl ... How long before Cracker shoot Homey?

Thas funny right there - 'ont care who ya are... :w00t:

Thas funny right there - 'ont care who ya are... :w00t:

Thanks and then , ;) was just joking... i was terrified someone would think me a racist ! I love everyone .. until they give me a good reason not to.. and even then, i try to hate the sin and not the sinner, so to speak.

I'm torn on the topic itself... maybe the teacher thought the "example" would increase interest in solving the problem? ... maybe they had been learning about slavery/history earlier in the day?

who knows...

Thanks and then , ;) was just joking... i was terrified someone would think me a racist ! I love everyone .. until they give me a good reason not to.. and even then, i try to hate the sin and not the sinner, so to speak.

I'm torn on the topic itself... maybe the teacher thought the "example" would increase interest in solving the problem? ... maybe they had been learning about slavery/history earlier in the day?

who knows...

The crossover comes because the children were learning about Fredrick Douglass. Or at least according to the principal of the school that's what they were learning.

The crossover comes because the children were learning about Fredrick Douglass. Or at least according to the principal of the school that's what they were learning.

Ah, i missed that part... no big deal i say . She was teaching them History... and Math.

Edited by lightly

It's black history month next month. I'm pretty sure. Tomorrow the US celebrates Dr. Martin Luther King Jrs birthday. Perhaps they thought this was a way of mixing curriculum. But it was offensive. There's no need for this. Terrible terrible terrible. I hope everyone takes it as a learning experience.