Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cowboys and Sasquatch

Argon Swift

But he was hunting for Bigfoot, obviously. He was researching it. I'm sure he heard and seen and listened to a lot of people about a great many legends, just as we are doing now.

1- So what?

2- You are again incorrect. Roosevelt was an outdoorsman, not a cryptozoologist.

And Three- you can't back any of your claims up.

Did he ever actually encounter one or many? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't

No, he definitely didn't, and you have no evidence, AT ALL, that he did. Or that he even claimed to. Or that he even heard "a great many legends...."

Anyway, the whole point of this thread is if there where encounters with people in the wild west with Sasquatch or other type creatures. I think that link proves it.

No it doesn't.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• psyche101

• Neognosis

• Cryptid-Seeker

One thing I do know, if Sasquatch (or any variation around the globe) does exist... These creatures know to stay away from man. They know the folly of mankind. Maybe, they are even smarter then us by staying in the woods and living off the land. Why do people honestly think that cracking sticks, screaming and whistling are going to draw anything to them? Do you know any wild creature, or intelligent creature for that matter, on the planet that would instinctively go happy-as-you-please into a group of humans acting like, well, lesser forms of humanity? They are never going to find anything that way... I can assure you. Sasquatch, if they have been around as long as we have, have watched us for far too long. They are not going to be lured into a trap. And why are no one exploring cave systems in areas that Sasquatch has been sighted? At least I've not found any information of anyone doing so. My guess... that would be the best place to look. It's not like they are hanging out in tree forts with pirate flags for all to see. Bears live in caves... Man once lived in caves... Why wouldn't Sasquatch live in caves? That's all assuming if they aren't metaphysical in nature. Inter-dimensional beings? Why not. You never see any research groups checking into caverns. Most likely because well - bears are in them, bats and what not, but get some people that know what they are doing involved and check into it. It's better then running around in circles, in the dark, doing your best to sound like a human trying to sound like what a Bigfoot might sound like.

Not with anything bigger than man. Lions, Tigers, Bears, Sharks etc etc etc have absolutely no fear of us and will eat a human given the chance, but Bigfoot bucks this basic rule in nature. He allegedly allows the smaller weaker species to have the best pickings.

You do not know that such a creature exists. You might think that, but you do not know.

Edited by psyche101

Wouldn't the US have been far less sparsely populated back then. So you could argue it swings in roundabouts, less people less chance.

Shouldn't there have been more Bigfoots then also though? Other wise it would not have survived to modern times, going with the claim and all.

The real mystery of the bigfoot is that anyone still believes in it. But it is harmless fun, mostly. Drop Bears, on the other hand, are a real menace.

The real mystery of the bigfoot is that anyone still believes in it. But it is harmless fun, mostly. Drop Bears, on the other hand, are a real menace.

Tell me about it. I am on the East coast.

Drop%252520Bear_big.jpeg

I think some people are seeing something, but what that is I feel is more likely to have a mundane explanation. Hobosapiens ( :tu: SD) I am positive can clear up much of the confusion, if not all of it.

The possiblity that sightings are ghosts of long gone, but 'spiritual' ape-like "humans" I would credit more than their being extant fauna !

The possiblity that sightings are ghosts of long gone, but 'spiritual' ape-like "humans" I would credit more than their being extant fauna !

There is definitely a spiritual aspect that has been personified, but I feel that the claims that are not obvious hoaxes are a sighting. Of what I feel is the debate. To me hobosapiens answer a lot of questions.

I do not find Gigantopithecus even to be a starter to be honest.

Edited by psyche101

You know nothing I ever talk about is a complete iron-clad belief by yours true, people, everything I shared is shared by others... Years and years of ideas spewed out there. Well, except for the whole Squatch being subterranean, I think I might have come up with that one... I did notice that no one chose to talk about the metaphysical aspects of these creatures. They do have roots in Shamanism. The spirit of the woods. The defiance of evolution. Once they cross over into that realm, there is no stand on trying to prove or disprove something, really... It becomes a matter of faith. Am I a believer? I chose to believe... Anything is possible! And it's fun to question and throw in what I might think, every now and then. And as a reply to some of my repliers who think I'm wrong. Maybe so. Maybe not. Who knows! ;) Maybe Sasquatch is alien and uses the crapper on the spacecraft? They can use their fecal matter for recycling purposes for fuel to get as far from us as possible, at least till they come back again to stomp around in the woods a bit? Eh?

You know nothing I ever talk about is a complete iron-clad belief by yours true, people, everything I shared is shared by others... Years and years of ideas spewed out there. Well, except for the whole Squatch being subterranean, I think I might have come up with that one... I did notice that no one chose to talk about the metaphysical aspects of these creatures. They do have roots in Shamanism. The spirit of the woods. The defiance of evolution. Once they cross over into that realm, there is no stand on trying to prove or disprove something, really... It becomes a matter of faith. Am I a believer? I chose to believe... Anything is possible! And it's fun to question and throw in what I might think, every now and then. And as a reply to some of my repliers who think I'm wrong. Maybe so. Maybe not. Who knows! ;) Maybe Sasquatch is alien and uses the crapper on the spacecraft? They can use their fecal matter for recycling purposes for fuel to get as far from us as possible, at least till they come back again to stomp around in the woods a bit? Eh?

? Two posts up I said: There is definitely a spiritual aspect that has been personified,

I went through Yowie subterranean ideals with a member called Ra Sun God about 2 years ago right here. DIdn't hold up too well, but caves are not all that abundant here, nor close to each other, and all quite well visited. We have some, but they are not exactly on every corner in Australia, you have to travel to them, and due to their rare nature, are quite popular. Caves are mysterious places, people are drawn to them.

Sasquatch is as good as his evidence, and that is on pretty shaky ground. Nothing personal, just the facts.

Roosevelt himself didn't have an encounter? Maybe not. But he was hunting for Bigfoot, obviously. He was researching it. I'm sure he heard and seen and listened to a lot of people about a great many legends, just as we are doing now. Did he ever actually encounter one or many? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't... I believe that he just might have believed that something was out there. Who knows? It might have been his deep down reasoning for his devotion to conservation. His work in expanding and adding to the National Parks... Who knows! Anyway, the whole point of this thread is if there where encounters with people in the wild west with Sasquatch or other type creatures. I think that link proves it. I was actually sparked by this tread and wanted to dig... I could find more.

It proves nothing other than that Roosevelt related a story told to him. All the rest of what you are saying is PURE unadulterated speculation. I mean for goodness sakes, Roosevelt COULD have been adopted by a family of Bigfoot creatures and COULD have fathered some hybrid kiddos. The important thing is that COULD be isn't the same as EVIDENCED BY. If you are going to come into the REAL world and make the claim that a fairytale is actually reality, then you have to at least play by reality's rules and provide evidence. Not internet links to retellings of old stories. Even if Teddy ****g Roosevelt had had a Bigfoot sighting, he didn't bother to bring back any evidence, which makes him no better or worse than the rest of the evidence-less bards that have all claimed to have seen bigfoot but don't bring back any evidence. The human mind, eye, ear, nose, and memory are all wishy-washy, impressionable, and inherently unreliable no matter how much you believe otherwise.

Nonetheless, people will continue to argue that bigfoot is real because even a US president saw one...

While not exactly cowboys, this short documentary details an encounter between Canadian pioneers and the purported Sasquatch in 1867. Worth a look if you're interested in Sasquatch encounters from the time of the Wild West:

More stuff for our amusement.....And to help answer the original topics question.

Bigfoot Shootings Not all bigfoot sightings have a happy ending.

It is often asked of me, "If bigfoots are real, then why doesn't anybody shoot one?" Many reports of bigfoot shootings are made, to law enforcement officials, and to bigfoot research organizations. I am certain there are thousands of bigfoot shootings that have never been reported to for fear of legal prosecution and social ridicule.

If the many reported bigfoot shootings are indeed true, there are a lot of wounded, crippled bigfoots out there unnecessarily "packing lead", unnecessarily suffering slow painful deaths.

Most bigfoot shootings are the result of an uneducated fear of the unknown. I believe the majority of these bigfoot shootings would have been avoided if the startled shooters had known that bigfoots are indeed real animals, could be expected to show up occasionally, and that the law prohibited harming them.............

1700's; KY, unknown; Daniel Boone shoots and kills a bigfoot

1800's late; AL, Winston; moonshiner shoots a bigfoot following his mule wagon

1800's mid, late; TX, Bexar; rancher shoots at probable bigfoot eating dead hunter1879-10-00; VT, Orange; humans shoot at bigfoot, bigfoot chases humans1882-00-00; CA, Inyo; man shoots bigfoot 5 times BFF

1885-00-00; NC, Watauga; gunshot bigfoot hides under leaves and brush1890's; OR, Curry; 2 men shoot bigfoot, bigfoot slams men against trees, tears them apart, killing them IBS1904-00-00; OR, Lane; human shoots at bigfoot, bigfoot throws big rock at man1917 summer; TX, Cass; mule wagon driver shoots at bigfoot screaming at them1917-00-00; OK, Nowata; men shoot at bigfoot trapped in barn TBRC1920's; WA, Walla Walla; hunters shoot bigfoot, bigfoot escapes, 2nd bigfoot throws boulders at hunters IBS1920's to 1930's; CA, Lake; man hunted red-haired wildmen that lived in caves above lake IBS1921-00-00; LA, Terrebonne; hunters kill bigfoot, dump in old well, skeleton found IBS1924-00-00; OR, Deschutes; prospecter shoots a bigfoot 5 times, the bigfoot escapes IBS1924-00-00; WA, Skamania; humans shoot & kill a bigfoot, other bigfoots retaliate1940's late; OR, Coos; human shoots a bigfoot seen chewing on live cow1940-00-00; MO, unknown; bigfoot killed after it ripped apart a cow1941-11-00; Canada, Manitoba; hunter kills and abandons a bigfoot

1943 winter; AL, Clarke; human shoots a bigfoot

1943-00-00; GA, unknown; bigfoot kills livestock, humans killed the bigfoot IBS

1946-00-00; PA, Lebanon; human shoots a bigfoot BOTEC

1948-06-00; NC, Franklin; human shoots a bigfoot

Plenty more here at the source link : http://lawnflowersjerkyandbigfoots.com/bigfootshootings.aspx

You have to go read some of those reports.....sure convinced me .... :no:

Let's also keep in mind that while many might have objections to shooting and killing a bigfoot today, 100 years ago, that would not have been the case.

Not to mention, many seem to forget that Audubon didn't sit out in the woods and paint his birds while they were sitting in trees. He shot and killed them first - they don't move as much when you're drawing them that way. Where do folks think all of those animals come from in natural history museums around the world - they were killed by the scientists wanting to study them.

So not only would cowboys, pioneers, etc. have shot bigfoot, any naturalist back in the day would have done the same thing.

Let's also keep in mind that while many might have objections to shooting and killing a bigfoot today, 100 years ago, that would not have been the case.

Not to mention, many seem to forget that Audubon didn't sit out in the woods and paint his birds while they were sitting in trees. He shot and killed them first - they don't move as much when you're drawing them that way. Where do folks think all of those animals come from in natural history museums around the world - they were killed by the scientists wanting to study them.

So not only would cowboys, pioneers, etc. have shot bigfoot, any naturalist back in the day would have done the same thing.

Not to sure about that......Cabellas, Bass Masters, Scheels, etc... ( places with animals on display ) proudly let people know " most " animals donated, not hunted or purchased.

Donated animals found dead from numerous reasons.....

Either way, I would shoot a Bigfoot in a heartbeat.....In the leg so he could be caught.

I am certain there are thousands of bigfoot shootings that have never been reported to for fear of legal prosecution and social ridicule.

Man, that right there is funny.

Man, that right there is funny.

I told you it is entertaining :)

Not to sure about that......Cabellas, Bass Masters, Scheels, etc... ( places with animals on display ) proudly let people know " most " animals donated, not hunted or purchased.

Donated animals found dead from numerous reasons.....

Either way, I would shoot a Bigfoot in a heartbeat.....In the leg so he could be caught.

Those aren't natural history museums and the reason those stores do that are for PR purposes.

I'm talking about places like the Royal Museum, the Smithsonian, the Natural History Museum in NYC, etc.

You can bet that if they have old mounts, those animals were shot for that purpose. That's just how they did it back then.

Those aren't natural history museums and the reason those stores do that are for PR purposes.

I'm talking about places like the Royal Museum, the Smithsonian, the Natural History Museum in NYC, etc.

You can bet that if they have old mounts, those animals were shot for that purpose. That's just how they did it back then.

I agree

• 5 weeks later...

Even if a Bigfoot was shot, would the Government allow it to be known that another species of potentially dangerous ape was roaming North American forests? I mean, there would be a huge panic about "Bigfoot threats to society", there would be Bigfoot hunting trips, and the Government wouldn't want us to worry.

Edited by Cryptid-Seeker

For the record, I can say 100% Bigfoot is a legend/folklore/fantasy started by a man trying to scare people away from his logging equipment......

That's a little much don't you think Sakari? That statement basically says you know where the entire legend started at, which would be hard, as it is hundreds of years old and crosses all continents.

How can you be 100% sure. 99.9% I can understand. 99.99999%... sure even that. But, not 100%.

I've often wondered that too. Traveling through the forrest and praries were quite common back then. You'd think encountering a bigfoot back in those days would be much more likely to happen. Especially with the story of Teddy Roosevelt encountering one.

Wouldn't the US have been far less sparsely populated back then. So you could argue it swings in roundabouts, less people less chance.

That is what popped into my head too. There were only thousands of settlers, ranchers, trappers and miners, not millions like there is today. A pioneer settlement in the Southern Oregon might be 100+ miles from the next town or village.

2- You are again incorrect. Roosevelt was an outdoorsman, not a cryptozoologist.

You are of course, right, as there were no Cryptozoologists before 1955, when the term was used by Heuvelmans. I believe the same Archtype was called an Explorer or Adventurer back in the day. Even Audubon was just an explorer, with no education and not recognized till his art made the mainstream. People did not pigeon-hole themselves to such a degree back then, the did not go looking for animals, or plants or rivers or such specifically. Not usually anyway. They instead just went and Looked and Recorded... everything.

Here is a good example of how the Western US has grown in the last 150 years.

800px-Portland_population_growth.png

In 1880s there was barely anyone in northern Oregon, and 100 years latter, 500,000 people.